Need help-Skagway planning

RobC1116

Hello. We will be in Skagway on Sunday, June 6, from 7 am until 8 pm. We want to do something active and not too costly, and I'm trying to decide between the following two options. First, there is a "Triple Adventure" tour offered by a local cycling company, which consists of a five-mile flat bike ride out of Dyea, a two-mile hike on the Chilkoot trail, and then a float down a river. This costs $168 per person. On the other hand, there are three hikes I've read about around town that one can do on one's own: Lower Dewey Lake, Gold Rush Cemetery and Reid Falls, and Yakutania Point. (I looked into a Laughton Glacier Hike, but was told it will still be too early in the season, and also that Upper Dewey Lake will still be snowed in). We don't want to do the White Pass, as we've done that before. I would prefer the no cost option of doing hikes on our own, but I don't want to pass up the Triple Adventure if it's more worthwhile and will have more spectacular scenery. There is also a Haines ferry/coastal walk offered by the cruise line that might be appealing. Any thoughts/opinions about these or any other Skagway options are most welcome! (We do not want to do kayaking, ziplining, gold panning, or dog mushing).

The triple tour is indeed an excellent choice. In your timeframe, you may also have snow on the Lower Dewey Lake as well. An alternative I would suggest, IF a nice day, then just rent bikes and do the ride to Dyea- which is actually about 10 miles one way. Can stop and hike the trail, if of interest as well. You then won't be on this tour option, if less than ideal weather- of which these tours still go.

Archived