"cruising canal" question

trcori

Would like to sail Galaxy someday now that we've been on the other two C-class ships, and I was perusing the "Panama Canal" itinerary. On the "cruising canal" day -- does the ship go all the way to the Pacific side, then turn around and go back? Or is there some turning-around spot in the middle? Please forgive me the silly question but I was 10 years old when we went through the canal on a different trip and can't recall whether it's an all-or-nothing deal.

thanks,
trc
Millennium 12/12/04
Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

On the 2004 Galaxy itineraries, it enters the canal on the Atlantic side, going through three back-to-back locks (the Gatun locks), to Gatun Lake. The lake comprises approximately half of the canal. The Galaxy goes into a holding pattern in Gatun Lake, and at its alloted time goes back through the Gatun Locks again.

What you get out of this is the experience of going through the locks, which is the big treat for many people. What you lose is the more interesting segment of the canal itself, the Gaillard Cut. The Pacific side has another three locks, arranged as one then two, which are the same as the Gatun locks.

Hi trcori,
If the Panama Canal is your main interest, the transit of the canal is a lot more interesting.
We did the partial passage few years back and the complete transit just two weeks ago on the Millennium.
There is so much more to see and appreciate the engineering of the canal on a full transit.
Wes

Thank you for the context! Sounds like it would be worth holding out for a full transit. Since I did get the experience as a kid -- even though I don't remember much except a lot of mosquitos when we docked at Colon! -- this one would be more for my hub and son, who will be 9 if we do it next year. We have visited the locks here in Seattle that move boats between Puget Sound and the inland lakes, but my guys find it mindboggling to imagine there are locks so huge that cruise ships can go through! ... trc

We did the complete transit on HAL - 2002. We got up early 5am to get a great seat to watch going under the Americas Bridge and entering the 1st locks. Afterward we watch from our balcony. I could not beleive how close the ship is to the side of the lock. Took pictures off balcony straight down. It was a great day and we made sure we saw everything. I would recommend the complete transit so you do see everything. Plus the locks near Panama City do have more things to see - ie. Original Locomotive on bank of canal.

Grandma cruiser
RCI - Rhapsody of Sea Jan 2004
Celebrity - Mercury July 2003
HAL - Amsterdam Oct. 2002
RCCL - Rhapsody of Sea Nov. 1999
Crystal - Symphony Oct. 1998
RCCL - Feb 1998
Celebrity - Horizon Aug. 1997
Carnival - Tropicale 1994
NCL - 1990

We did an RCI cruise last year at this time -- we are booked on Galaxy from Port of Galveston (an hour's drive from home) for a November cruise date on the Panama Canal (again). This is another partial transit, as the first ship (Splendour of the Seas) did not make it to Costa Rica (due to mechancial problems). Besides, we want the "Celebrity Experience"! There is an excursion, where after disembarking the ship in Gatun Lake, one boards a bus -- to a ferry. The ferry goes through the canal to the Pacific side. Thus, somewhat of the experience. I admit that there is probably nothing like the complete transit, but the fact that we are so close to a home port has made the difference in our choice.

Bookit

Carnival Celebration - 09/01
Rhapsody of the Seas - 11/01
Royal Olympia Voyager - 05/02
Rhapsody of the Seas - 09/02
Splendour of the Seas - 04/03
Rhapsody of the Seas - 09/03
(CC Reunion Cruise)
Splendour of the Seas - 04/04
Celebrity Galaxy - 11/04

When exiting the Gatun locks, the best view is on the aft end (can't remember which deck). On Mercury we made the mistake of initially going up top and trying to look down. Crowds were 3 deep.

Going down, we found the aft to be very uncrowded and you got great views/pictures of the lock doors and the little trains (mules).

We were also fortunate enough to be going through the locks the same time as Summit so we got to watch "the race". Mercury won by a nose (or by a bow - whatever).

George & MaryBeth

Archived