Air quality in New England and Canada

Caroldoll

We are anticipating a cruise in September. Are there any adverse conditions from the volcano in Iceland?

Prevailing winds are west to east. If the ash plume had any noticeable direct effect New England and atlantic Canada - the entire northern hemisphere would be feeling it [e.g. 'the year without a summer' [1816]]

We live about 20 miles west of Boston and spend most of our time (boating) on the south coast of MA/RI.

So far we have not had ANY impact of ash here.

There's no way to tell what the weather/conditions will be like in September. We had "no summer" (it was cool & rainy) last year without the volcano.

Plan on any possibility from high 90's with strong sun to temps in the 40's with cold wind blowing (think layer's) and a rain jacket and you will have a great time.

You're coming from California, so you need to be prepared for any kind of weather. There can be many nice warm days after Labor Day, but the evenings are always cool. That means that on a ship they could feel chilly to someone used to a warmer climate. makai 7 gives good advice - think layers and a rain jacket.

born in Upstate New York and raised in Connecticut. My blood is thinner now though! I have lived enough in the East to know about weather changes. One can hope for the best! I just worry about the compromised air quality, but you have made it clear that you are not suffering any affects from the volcano.

That's a good thing!

Archived