Glacier Bay Viewing Tips

mll1013

We'll be sailing to AK on our first cruise on the Zuiderdam this year, and have a boatload (pardon the pun!) of questions regarding Glacier Bay... we certainly want to make the most of this opportunity and are wondering.....

1) Where some of the best viewing areas are on the HAL fleet? I trust that higher decks are better for viewing, but also likely tougher to wrestle a piece of the view from everyone else up there.

2) How early should we be on deck to secure a spot to see the action?

3) Since we have two children (10/12), is it possible for one family member to "stake a claim", or will this just irritate the crew/pax?

4) Is it possible to come/go throughout the day, or can we expect to miss any subsequent action the moment we leave our post?

5) Does any of these answers vary if we also have a balcony? Perhaps we can/should spend part of the time there to get away from the crowds, but I imagine that it would also be nice to get a good panoramic view either from the bow/stern...

Thanks,

mll1013

No need to "stake a claim" There are plenty of viewing areas on board HAL ships.

1. They generally open up the bow area during Glacier Bay cruising.

2. Wonderful teak wrap-around Promenade deck, goes all the way around the ship (however views are limited to the side facing the glaciers)

3. Lido Deck, can look out the windows while having lunch.

4. Observation Deck with 360 degree viewing.

5 Sports Deck... has an observation deck area, but not very large.

6. Crows Nest... fabulous viewing area with the comforts of being indoors.

7. Your balcony... great for getting away from the crowds. But limiting in viewing area.

As you can see, there are plenty of areas to visit for Glacier Bay viewing... HAL ships are very well designed for this.

People do try to stake claims, drag around chairs and set up little family camps, but that is not needed. Most people don't spend all day outside and in fact some people dont have warm enough clothes and can't stay outside very long.

Turn the kids loose and let them find their own spots.

I start up as high as I can go on the ship and change places as I please. I don't settle down any one place.

Some people do camp out at tables and refuse to give them up, but that is their game not mine. It means a lot to them. Nothing to me.

You are going overboard with this. :). The only place you have to "stake a claim" is if you want forward seating. Otherwise the people come and go. Some ships will open up forward lower decks. This is ideal viewing, and being closer to water, superior, in my opinion. It will be about 3 hours before glacier viewing, from entering Glacier Bay.

I am one who does spend the entire day out on deck, STARTING way before the posted time, (and after, depending on direction). The only "crowded" timeframe, is when at the face of glaciers. And you can still count of unprepared attire people bailing out. :)

IF you have a port side balcony- you can stay there, until the "turning" and exit". Go out after that point if you want to take advantage of all the viewing you can get.

I agree with BQ, lower is better. Being closer to water level allows you to hear the "snap, crackle, pop" of the ice melting as pieces float by the ship. Make sure you move around the ship for different views as you'll have lots of time to view the sights. I'm also usually out on the forward decks from very early AM and then start to move around when we arrive at the Glaciers. I love being on the promenade or aft decks and watch the world go by as we sail back out.

Alaska is a great place to be on the smaller ships for this more "up close and personal" experience and I'm thrilled I'm sailing on the small Royal Princess this year. Also am doing the Adventure Bound trip from Juneau into Tracy Arm, even though will I be in there on the Royal a week later.

You won't have trouble as most people are only outside for a short while and then move on. The places that people really "stake out a claim" are the indoor viewing areas.

Again, I agree with BQ, the lower the better, and for me I spend the time low on the promenade walking deck and get better glacier reflections off the water from this angle. I tend to move around alot during the stop in Glacier Bay. I too am out on deck long before most people (6am or so) and last year it was very rewarding for whale sightings etc to be up early. Don't stress about it, there will be lots of space somewhere on the ship to see everything.

IF you have a port side balcony- you can stay there, until the "turning" and exit". Go out after that point if you want to take advantage of all the viewing you can get.

OTOH IF you have a starboard side balcony you can have a leisurely breakfast while enjoying nice scenery entering the bay, and at the face of the glaciers the Captain will usually turn the ship slowly, so you see first the muddy glacier, and then the pristine blue Margerie glacier, and usually have lots of time to view Margerie from the starboard balcony. In fact it seems to me that the starboard balcony actually gets more "face" time at Margerie itself.

This works very well for seniors, the mobility limited, and the just plain lazy. However, I still recommend being out on the open decks for Glacier Bay. We don't "camp," we move around from side to side and table to table as opportunity and whim suggest. Inside the buffet can also be a great viewing place, with hot chocolate! We have never had to fight for space. More onerous to me than the campers are the photo buffs who set up their tripod right in front of the best view and hog the space so I can't get a picture without their D*#$ tripod in it!

Another great place to watch the glaciers is from the heated couches of the Thermal Suite!

Note that we are not big wildlife hunters. If wildlife is your thing then you need to emulate BQ and be out on deck early, well bundled up, with your binox.

To see some pics of us at the glaciers, and get an idea of space availability and what to wear, check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaglaciers.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Southbound this is our schedule on Statendam (oh my!):

MON 02AUG College Fjord1 6:00a 9:00a

TUE 03AUG Glacier Bay1 10:00a 7:00p

Have a port side verandah so what time should we schedule room service to be able to see all of Glacier Bay?! (What time would you be up BQ?)

What about College Fjord? Haven't seen much written about it-what are the highlights, placement (port vs starboard) and timing...We are traveling with 3 teens 19, 16 and 13 who like to sleep in is it worth waking them as in is it so unique?

Thanks for all the help!

Wake them up if you can.

I am up well before dawn and do a walk around breakfast with a big (brought from home) thermal mug for my coffee which I mix with hot chocolate. I also do a portable lunch. No time for sit down meals.

I am on the highest decks in the dark and prefer to be high up. But I've been in Glacier Bay in a very small boat so don't need to hear the glaciers. I usually nearly forget to take photos! I want to be away from people especially those who talk!

I am all geared up in a Canadian made foul weather multi-layer seaman's boat coat that is a really awful signal yellow. It has multiple pockets for all my stuff and a double hood as well as zippers and snaps. If the day happens to warm up I can unsnap, unzip and drop off layers in my cabin. Usually some one tries to buy it off my back!

I have at least 3 different pairs of glasses: clear lenses for the darkness and early dawn, a pair with a blue tint for ice viewing and dark tinted lenses in case the sun comes out.

*whew*... you guys really put my mind at ease. Since this is our first cruise and first visit to AK, we are anticipating Glacier Bay to be the highlight, and it's great to know that we won't have to stress about it.

We'll definitely plan on moving about as well, so we can get all of the angles and elevations possible.

Thanks (as always!) for the great advice!

Southbound this is our schedule on Statendam (oh my!):

MON 02AUG College Fjord1 6:00a 9:00a

TUE 03AUG Glacier Bay1 10:00a 7:00p

Have a port side verandah so what time should we schedule room service to be able to see all of Glacier Bay?! (What time would you be up BQ?)

What about College Fjord? Haven't seen much written about it-what are the highlights, placement (port vs starboard) and timing...We are traveling with 3 teens 19, 16 and 13 who like to sleep in is it worth waking them as in is it so unique?

Thanks for all the help!

I am out at least an hour prior to dawn with this early College Fjord time. There is scenic sailing WAY before you get there. Same with Glacier Bay, up and out very early, and if you are headed to Juneau/Skagway, I then STAY out, since it's ALL scenic sailing, through evening.

I agree with everyone else. Be up & out early & be flexible. I was well prepared for the weather on the top of the boat, but didn't realize that the glass screen in that area was tinted. It was a pretty auqa color, but not natural. I was on a smaller ship & then discovered that going back & forth from balconies on the 4th level was perfect for me.There was probably 6 people in these areas - enough to help with spotting but not too many for a distraction. We stayed out & watched whales as we were leaving Glacier Bay until it was too dark to see at all. We also decided to run to the cafeteria as the ship was turning & got a picture of the most beautiful wake ever. So it can be good to move around.

We sailed into Glacier Bay shortly after lunch. As we had a veranda suite on the Starboard side, we went up to the bow area going INTO the bay. We had a naturalist on board the Volendam on that deck. We were featured on the ship's video and also had our picture taken by the ship's photographer with the glacier in the background. When the ship turned and started going OUT of the bay we went down to our suite onto the veranda; it was neat being closer to the water and watching all the chunks of ice floating by and seeing the calving a little closer.:D

Archived