Need help in planning excursions in Alaska in July

Cru1ser

Our itinerary:

Icy Strait Point ---- 7 hours(3pm-10pm)

Juneau ------------ 13 hours(7:30am-8:30pm)

Ketchikan ---------- 6 hours(2:30pm - 8:30pm)

our budget is $250/person or under for each excursion.

any suggestions/tips for planning our excursion in each port and the tour companys are appreciated.

You don't indicate what your interests are so it is hard to gauge what would work best for you. For example is you are active and adventurous the list would be much different that someone who like historical low activity adventures. There is a TON of information on this board. Try doing a search on these ports and you will see enough tour information to make your brain swim. ;) We are going in July as well and planning Whale watching for me and the kids and biking for DH in Juneau. All these are less than $200 per. In Ketchican I have the Bearing Sea Crab fishermans tour for all of us. Also less than $200 per.

My standard reply :) You need to do your homework, first. Look over shore excursion lists and narrow down your interests. There are 100's of tours to consider. There is no point in listing MY favorites - it's all about you. :)

As only a CC point, recommendations, per the above sticky are only to be from first hand experience with having taken the tour.

As BQ always says ( and usually gets it in before I can;)...) -- do your homework!

The ship offers lots of great excursions. Reading their shore excursion brochure (many lines have downloadable brochures these days) will give you an idea of the most popular excursions in every port. Then you can decide whether the ship's excursion suits your needs and tastes or whether you want to consider booking with an independent. There are many many recommendations for independent operators on this board.

Here is my page of excursions we have enjoyed in eight trips to Alaska. YMMV.

http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html

Now -- if you really want my ONE recommendation for each port:

ISP -- bear watching with Teckk tours

Juneau -- Gastineau Gold Mine (second choice ship's whale watching with Allen Marine)

Ketchikan -- Ketchikan Ducks (second choice ship's Saxman Village)

Have a GREAT cruise!

thanks purpleprincess, budget queen and mike! special thanks to mike! i really enjoy reading your excursion guide! very helpful.

we are three people: me, my husband, and my 15-year-old son. my son wants to go flightseeing in Ketchkan with Michelle, and go sightseeing to Tracy Arm in Juneau with Adventure Bound. my husband wants to rent a car and go wherever we want. i'm interested in bear watching with Teckk tours(as mike mentioned)... not decided yet...

as for the Tracy Arm cruise, the ship departs at 8am, our cruise ship arrives at 7:30am, we have only 30 minutes from our ship to that ship. what if our ship is late? cruise ships are always on time?

thanks purpleprincess, budget queen and mike! special thanks to mike! i really enjoy reading your excursion guide! very helpful.

we are three people: me, my husband, and my 15-year-old son. my son wants to go flightseeing in Ketchkan with Michelle, and go sightseeing to Tracy Arm in Juneau with Adventure Bound. my husband wants to rent a car and go wherever we want. i'm interested in bear watching with Teckk tours(as mike mentioned)... not decided yet...

as for the Tracy Arm cruise, the ship departs at 8am, our cruise ship arrives at 7:30am, we have only 30 minutes from our ship to that ship. what if our ship is late? cruise ships are always on time?

Are you also in Skagway?? That is the place for a car rental. You have your excursion list.

You need to verify this time DIRECTLY with Adventure Bound. Yes ships can clear late.

When you book an independent excursion, there is always that small chance that something will go wrong.

However, in most cases, the independent operators are very aware of exactly what is happening with each cruise ship and will make adjustments if one is a bit late. Usually things work out.

It is important that you have a clear understanding with your operator of exactly what will happen if your ship is late, or even misses that port (very unusual in Alaska but can happen.) Policies on waiting, and on refunds, vary from operator to operator.

Are you also in Skagway?? That is the place for a car rental. You have your excursion list.

no, we don't go to Skagway. we can only rent a car in Skagway?

You need to verify this time DIRECTLY with Adventure Bound. Yes ships can clear late.

oh, then we'd better don't go Tracy Arm. the time is too tight.

When you book an independent excursion, there is always that small chance that something will go wrong.

However, in most cases, the independent operators are very aware of exactly what is happening with each cruise ship and will make adjustments if one is a bit late. Usually things work out.

It is important that you have a clear understanding with your operator of exactly what will happen if your ship is late, or even misses that port (very unusual in Alaska but can happen.) Policies on waiting, and on refunds, vary from operator to operator.

thanks, mike. we'd better don't go Tracy Arm. especially don't book it in advance. risky.

all excursions you had in your 8 trips to Alaska, you usually booked them in advance or you just went on the spot?

for Michelle's flightseeing, should we book it now or when we're there?

Don't wait to book Michelle of Island Wings until you get there...you'll be mighty disappointed! When we flew w/her in Sept. of 2006, we had booked way back in January, and were actually on a wait list for a month. She books up fast - don't delay! And enjoy your flight with her - its just amazing!

thanks, mike. we'd better don't go Tracy Arm. especially don't book it in advance. risky.

all excursions you had in your 8 trips to Alaska, you usually booked them in advance or you just went on the spot?

for Michelle's flightseeing, should we book it now or when we're there?

I always recommend having ALL plans and reservations in place before you go. It is a big mistake to wait until you are there, to figure out and chase down availablity once there.

The only way I would consider this Tracy Arm boat tour, would be on stand by. IF your ship clears in time, then get on your cell phone and see if any walk up space is available. There is a chance there will be. You do need to be in good shape, with no mobility limitations to hoof it to their dock, quickly. :)

There very likely will NOT be any walk up space for Island Wings.

no, we don't go to Skagway. we can only rent a car in Skagway?

oh, then we'd better don't go Tracy Arm. the time is too tight.

Car rentals are available in all your ports, BUT you have already listed activities in the others.

I am a guy who likes to do a lot of research and find out all the things available. The great majority of the time we have all our excursions planned and booked months before we go.

There is a lot of demand in Alaska, and if you just walk out on to the dock to see what is available, you are sort of taking the leftovers.

There are a few exceptions. The shuttles to Mendenhall in Juneau are very easy to book right on the dock. Usually you can book the Ketchikan Ducks at the dock too. But for anything that we REALLY want to do, it makes me more comfortable to book in advance.

Now, for our trip in two weeks, I am not following that advice! Except for the Sea Otter Search in Sitka, we have nothing booked. But this is our eighth trip to Alaska so just walking about or taking the city bus will work for us.

Archived