Diving and Excursions

Hibiscus13

Hi all -

We are doing the 14 day Marquesas itinerary next November and I know that it's a long way off but I'm trying to get a sense of the costs for the Excursions as well as the dive trips. Does anyone have information on what a two tank dive excursion might cost?

Any recommendations for excursions, or what to avoid?

Thank you!

Can't tell you about diving, but just wanted to say, "aahhh" on your trip choice--we did this a year ago last December and I think it's one of our favourites. Note that there's not much diving up there in the Marquesas themselves.

Excursions are expensive in FP, more so in recent years. We spent well over $100 pp per day in the Marquesas, probably around $150 actually. But it was worth it--they were all 4x4 trips that showed us the islands in a great way. All but Hiva Oa--although they did provide a last-minute 4x4 trip there too, just walking around the little town was enough, along with the show the residents put on, and the artisan shops. Good place for tapa cloths.

Excursions on other islands ranged just below the hundred dollar mark, as I remember. Examples: stingray ballet on Bora, pearl farm on Rangiroa.

Don't forget the motu day at Taha'a (free), and the free tenders to a little piece of paradise off Bora Bora.

Dives with the Paul Gauguin Marina are single tank and $90. Yes, it's high but it's likely going to be the best crew/service you have ever received. Also, can't beat the ability to be talking about the experience over an exquisite ship breakfast or lunch 5-10 minutes after surfacing (really!) Outside operators thru the ship are similar in price -- In researching the availability of operators not thru the ship, price is a little less expensive but lacks the convenience (ie, tender to the shore, picked up by the operator, drive to their shop, etc)

PG keeps groups small, all dive gear included.

Thank you both for your responses. Although $90 for a single tank is usually what we pay for a 2 tank dive, I certainly understand that we are in a different marketplace in FP.

We are looking forward to seeing this part of the world for the first time - and experiencing everything it has to offer.

Archived