Hope you can help me with a ?

My DH and I are supposed to be setting sail on Grandeur on May 22. However, my FIL is very ill and we are very unsure as to what our current status with this trip will be. I have purchased the trip insurance through RCI. Honestly, I haven't a clue as to what the trip insurance I purchased covers if we need to cancel this trip. I will try to track this information down, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to assist me in my search.

My DH and I are supposed to be setting sail on Grandeur on May 22. However, my FIL is very ill and we are very unsure as to what our current status with this trip will be. I have purchased the trip insurance through RCI. Honestly, I haven't a clue as to what the trip insurance I purchased covers if we need to cancel this trip. I will try to track this information down, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to assist me in my search.

If you have a copy of your policy you need to read it to determine what it covers and what you will need to do if you have to cancel. If you don't have a copy, you need to contact RCI or the insurance company that provides their insurance and ask them. No one here can give you authoritative advice without having all of the facts or the policy and its contents.

Since you are close to sail date; and have made final payment, I believe if you canx now you will get a credit for another cruise; it depends on what you are allowed to canx for. I.e. if you have a death then u r covered; a person being ill, I believe you have to have your father in laws doctor write a note explaining why your and your husband presence there is crucial. Just call RCI and ask for the cruise care person, they should be able to give you the correct info and the correct route to pursue.

Thanks, Marie. They didn't mention anything about that, but I also wasn't really asking for specific information ... just the reassurance that we weren't going to be "out" a few thousand dollars. Hopefully I won't need to find out exactly what needs to be done.

My understanding is that if your FIL's condition is a pre-existing one (he had this condition when you booked), you would have had to purchase the insurance at a time when you and you spouse also would have been covered for a pre-existing condition in order to be covered for this. If he didn't have this condition when you booked, I think you will be okay to make a claim if you have to cancel. Like the previous poster said; read your contract carefully NOW. I surely hope you don't have to cancel and that all comes out okay for your FIL.

Archived