Just back - thoughts on excursions

Duncarob

Hi, I'm just back from the Carnival Spirit and thought I'd post some brief thoughts about the excursions I took. There seemed to be very little informtion posted about these before my cruise.

Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast: This was the highlight of my vacation. Just had a wonderful time. Amazing scenery from the plane and the time at the lodge was just as amazing as the flight. This place was very authentic, not "touisty" at all, and the staff made us all feel so welcome. Just an amazing excursion. Pricey at $299, but well worth it in my opinion.

Skagway: Yukon Scenic Drive: Another awsome excursion. We just had a great time with a fabulous driver/guide, Thomas Pickerel. We were so glad we chose this trip over the train, as this allowed us to really explore, make numerous stops for photos and we were able to see so much more than we would have been able to see from the train. Lots of wildlife, including 3 bears (2 at very close range to the bus), mountain goats, marmots, ptarmigan, etc. We paid $97 for this excursion, such a bargain!

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer: This was a our least favorite excursion. The scenery in Misty Fjords was amazing but it is an awfully long boat ride to get there. Then you don't get a whole lot of time in the scenic area. A nice tour, perhaps if it was priced at $99, but way too pricey for what it is at $175.

We had an amazing time and I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Thanks for the info on excursions - we will be sailing on HAL for two weeks in Alaska - I am wondering were these excursions that you booked on board - if not can you give me some info for the Yukon Scenic Drive and the Glacier Lodge - both sound amazing.

Thanks

Corinne

peckcorinne@yahoo.com

Just back 4 days ago from the Zaandam. First stop Juneau, got off the ship and went to one of the booths offering a bus ride to mendenhall glacier, I think it was $7 each way, (for 7 of us, I think it was negotiated down to $10 roundtrip) Great day hiking and learning, came back to Juneau and went to Tracy's Crab Shack, (around the corner to your right from the ship, just beyond the library, on the waterfront.) I had read about Tracy's and wanted to taste some of those crab caught by the Time Bandit (Deadliest Catch) and the crab on the ship were puny, but good....

Tracy's is a DON'T MISS!!!!!!! in my book. The crab legs are the biggest I've ever seen and probably the most delicious thing I've ever tasted! We will never forget it and always measure those crab legs against all others! :)

Glacier bay is beyond words- try to get up early.

Sitka, we walked around town, saw the Russion Church and the bishops house, then walked out to the park where the totem poles are. It was an easy walk, no need to get transportaion unless you're in a wheelchair or on crutches. Ate lots of salmon berries along the way....walked through the park, watched the movie and looked at all the exhibits in the building. Very nice.

Ketchikan, next reply... ;)

In Ketchikan, we were picked up by our guide and taken to their office a couple of miles away. We got out of the van and saw bald eagles in the trees right there! (It's next to a cannery.) Our guide Jess got us suited up in rain gear, gave me a waterproof bag to put my cameras into and led us down to the dock where we got into a small, fast boat that takes you out to Orca Cove. It had been pretty fun so far- a tour of town, eagles, and star fish (not fish) and we hadn't even started yet. The boat ride took us way out, the weather was nice and we were in high spirits. When we were let off at the boat in the cove, on the bank were deer eating, and a harbor seal was waiting to get a look at us in the kayak!. (as Jess said- it must be a slow day for the seals.)

We had a great time...it sprinkled some, but was so beautiful anyway. I won't spoil it any further, but I must say that I was worried about getting in and out of the kayak, but their help was all I needed. They are experts!

Jess, our guide was so friendly, I was ready to take her home as one of my own after we were done. We all learned SO MUCH! And the snack (meal) afterwards was to die for.

Google Southeast Sea Kayak Ketchikan. Hopefully you'll find them. It's not cheap, but for that long a trip and for what we got it was worth it.

Victoria was our last stop. We happened to be there on Canada Day (july 1st) their 4th of July. Instead of going to Buchart Gardens where I thought my kids might be bored, I talked my Mom and Dad into taking the bus into town. What a night!!!!!

People everywhere- the only thing I could compare it to is Times Square on New Year's Eve. Yes- it was just that night we happened to be there, so I'd probably have gone to the gardens otherwise....

What an adventure! Our kids all want to defect to Canada now.:D

They're so much cooler!

Hi, I'm just back from the Carnival Spirit and thought I'd post some brief thoughts about the excursions I took. There seemed to be very little informtion posted about these before my cruise.

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer: This was a our least favorite excursion. The scenery in Misty Fjords was amazing but it is an awfully long boat ride to get there. Then you don't get a whole lot of time in the scenic area. A nice tour, perhaps if it was priced at $99, but way too pricey for what it is at $175.

We had an amazing time and I'd be happy to answer any questions!

We have booked the Ketchikan: Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer boat tour but after your comments I'm having second thoughts. Did you see any wildlife? Was there good scenery on the way in and out? How long was your tour? Ours is approx 4 1/2 hours. We're also worried about making our 10:30 am time. We are on Holland America and booked the excursion though them but the ship isn't suppose to get into port until 10:00. Do they let people on the excursions off the ship first?

Thanks for any info.

We have booked the Ketchikan: Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer boat tour but after your comments I'm having second thoughts. Did you see any wildlife? Was there good scenery on the way in and out? How long was your tour? Ours is approx 4 1/2 hours. We're also worried about making our 10:30 am time. We are on Holland America and booked the excursion though them but the ship isn't suppose to get into port until 10:00. Do they let people on the excursions off the ship first?

Thanks for any info.

This is not a wildlife cruise, and some reports of none. You do have a long transit until you get to Misty Fiords. I only fly there, myself. There also are combo boat and fly tours which would get you farther.

We're also worried about making our 10:30 am time. We are on Holland America and booked the excursion though them but the ship isn't suppose to get into port until 10:00. Do they let people on the excursions off the ship first?

When you book through the ship, they make sure that you make the excursion - you do get off first.

Archived