Need help at St. Petersburg

Piggy Cruiser

Dears,

We've booked a car with driver in St. Petersburg with Anna of Bestguides on 22 May for tour around St. Petersburg. As we don't need a visa, Anna asked us to take a taxi from the ship to the port gate and the driver will wait for us at the port gate. Otherwise, we still need to buy the tour ticket at 3,000 rubles for the driver to enter the Port. Actually, our booking has already been confrimed.

However, just received the email from Anna that taxi will not be available by the time we call at St. Petersburg and Anna suggested two possible ways: 1) to buy the tour ticket at 3,000 rubles although we don't need it; or 2) to try joining some little group leaving the ship as far as the port gates or ask some tourists renting a little van to give us a lift or ask some of the cars waiting for someone to take you to the gate quickly and then return back.

It sounded really unreasonable for us to pay the 3,000 rubles and I'm really upset to know this at this very last minute. Believed that many of those on the same cruise should have left home and on your way to Amsterdam. Just try to see if anyone still out there can offer help...:( If not, we might have to stay at the ship then....

I don't know why you don't need a visa, unless you have a Chinese passport? I thought everyone did. You don't need one if you take a ships tour, because the tour company covers you. Same with organized independent tours. Perhaps this is what Anna means about the 'ticket' for 3000 rubles? Your company is not one I have heard mentioned on these boards...Did you visit the Ports of Call area for northern Europe? And did you join a roll call for your cruise? There would be lots of folks there busy forming groups for independent tours. Chances are you can still book a tour from the ship. EM

Here is your problem: If you want to step even one foot off the ship, you will need an individual visa, not a group visa and if your tour guide is not available for you at the dock, I'm not sure the soldiers who will check your passport as soon as you leave the ship will let you off without knowing if your private guide has taken care of your visa. I've taken private tours and the guides have always met me right on the pier. I've never heard of the tour person you're talking about, so you need to make sure if this guide is an official guide----those are the only ones who the government recognizes and allow to purchase visas for their clients. I've used well known companies like Red October and Denrus, companies that are fully recognized by the government and they have taken car of the visas and have met me on the dock, right outside the Immigration booths.

You will not be able to just join a tour just to get a lift to the gate. Sorry, that's just not done. You absolutely must find out why your guide cannot come into the port. Every other tour company does.

We took a cruise to St Petersburg last year, and the information the posters above have is correct. Your guide should meet you at the pier and walk you through Russian customs and Immigration. Those soldiers aren't fooling around and will have no problem whatsoever denying you entry to the country.

I would get on to my roll call right away and see if any small groups are looking for more to joint them, or email one of the reputable, tested companies mentioned in the Ports of Call boards to see if they can arrange a car and driver tour.

St Petersburg is such a wonderful port with so much to see - you would hate to miss it because of a glitch like this. Best of luck!

Dear all,

Thanks for all the feedback! Actually, I'm confused too! Well, since we are holding Hong Kong SAR passport, we don't need a visa to enter Russia.

The company that I booked our private car with driver is one of the official agent granted with issuing the tour ticket with visa as well. However, the visa itself will cause us 3000 rubles. Since we actually don't require a visa at all, we found it really unreasonable if we have to pay for the visa fee just because it allows the car to enter the port area.

Would be great if we somebody can offer us a ride from the ship to the port gate. Of course we have to pay. Just worried if we can find anybody within such a limited time frame......:(

Personally,. I would NOT trust this guide service...

I am not sure where you found them...We have used Red October and SPB in St. Petersburg, but I would also trust DenRus, Alla or Anastasia...all are well known and recommended highly on these boards for a long time...

I expect the guide to meet me at the ship...

The cost of a Visa has never been an issue for us since it has alwayus been included in the tour price quote...it is pretty seamless and, as blended into the cost, even if you technically don't need it, don't worry about it--look at your overall quote and don't sweat details...

That said, any guide who springs that on you last minute is probably not capable of giving you a good, bargained for tour.

Have you paid any money in advance (you shouldn't have)?

Even at this late date, I would CANCEL them...

Look to see if anyone in your roll call still has space on their tour...

Or contact a REPUTABLE local tour company and see what can be arranged last minute...

If all else fails, just book the two day shore excursion Celebrity offers...

Still a better alternative to staying on the ship...

Good luck...

I too would not go with this company.

All companies mentioned on this board will meet you at the ship. Their vans are allowed to come into the port. I would not trust anyone who says you have to make your own way to the port gates because they will not pay the entrance fee (bribe) to get into the port.

It is an industrial port - it is not pleasant to walk the 1mile to the port gates from your ship.

I would rebook with Alla or Anastasia or any of the other reputable companies listed here. Their prices all include the visa.

Here is your problem: If you want to step even one foot off the ship, you will need an individual visa, not a group visa and if your tour guide is not available for you at the dock, I'm not sure the soldiers who will check your passport as soon as you leave the ship will let you off without knowing if your private guide has taken care of your visa. I've taken private tours and the guides have always met me right on the pier. I've never heard of the tour person you're talking about, so you need to make sure if this guide is an official guide----those are the only ones who the government recognizes and allow to purchase visas for their clients. I've used well known companies like Red October and Denrus, companies that are fully recognized by the government and they have taken car of the visas and have met me on the dock, right outside the Immigration booths.

You will not be able to just join a tour just to get a lift to the gate. Sorry, that's just not done. You absolutely must find out why your guide cannot come into the port. Every other tour company does.

Oh boy more incorrect information. If you are on a Celebrity tour you can step off the boat without a VISA

I would definetely cancel and rebook with another tour company or the ship tours. We used Red October last year and were more than 100% satisfied.

It is very unporfessional on their part to give you this info days before your cruise.

Good luck....

Best Guides is a company formed by several guides including Anna who previously operated independently. There have been many postings praising Anna and her partner Masha. Before pulling the trigger I would contact them and get them to meet you at the ship. It certainly is ridiculous to have to buy a visa to go to the gate.

YOU DO need a visa for independent tours. We paid $150 per visa last year. Passports were sent to the Russian embassy for them. Please be careful and check this out!!;);)

Lets get this straight:

1. You do NOT need a visa if you take the ships tours. However you cannot deviate from the ships tour at all, stroll off by yourself, take longer in shops or galleries etc. You must stay with the group at all times.

2. You do NOT need a visa if you take a tour with a company such as Alla or Denrus or Anastasia (or any others mentioned often on this board). You send them your passport info and they send back the necessary documents which you present to the customs officials. You have more flexibility as you can adjust the tours to your wishes. We even went out by ourselves in the evening for a dinner - and we were still covered by the Alla visa

3. You DO need a visa if you are going to DIY or book via an agency who does not cover the visa for you. The ship is in an industrial port (the smaller ships dock further up the river in town) and as mentioned before no taxis are allowed in the port so you would have to walk to the port gates before you even got started.

You cannot even go to the tourist gift shop that is the other side of the customs huts if you are not covered by 1 or 2.

Lets get this straight:

1. You do NOT need a visa if you take the ships tours. However you cannot deviate from the ships tour at all, stroll off by yourself, take longer in shops or galleries etc. You must stay with the group at all times.

2. You do NOT need a visa if you take a tour with a company such as Alla or Denrus or Anastasia (or any others mentioned often on this board). You send them your passport info and they send back the necessary documents which you present to the customs officials. You have more flexibility as you can adjust the tours to your wishes. We even went out by ourselves in the evening for a dinner - and we were still covered by the Alla visa

3. You DO need a visa if you are going to DIY or book via an agency who does not cover the visa for you. The ship is in an industrial port (the smaller ships dock further up the river in town) and as mentioned before no taxis are allowed in the port so you would have to walk to the port gates before you even got started.

You cannot even go to the tourist gift shop that is the other side of the customs huts if you are not covered by 1 or 2.

Further to what is quoted above, if you book with a tour company they will arrange for a Tour Ticket which you show to Russian Immigration when exiting the ship. This allows you to join your tour group/guide.

Best Guides ,just as all the other tour companies, will provide the Tour Ticket and does meet their clients within the port with the car or van as arranged. Costs of this are embedded in the price charged by all tour companies.

The original OPs problem seems to stem from two somewhat related events unique to their situation. Firstly it would appear from the original posting that because of their nationality they didn't arrange for a Tour Ticket and secondly today is the start of the 2010 cruise season in St. Petersburg and Russian authorities unlike last year aren't allowing taxis into the port area.

So are you saying that you now have a very long walk for the private tour guides to pick clients up for tours in St Petersburg Russia?:confused::confused:

no not at all . All the companies most mentioned on this site will meet you right at the ship, the other side of the customs huts.

Archived