texting on Mediterranean cruise on Adventure end of this month

I have a question for anyone who's cruised Europe or the Med regarding texting.

We have Sprint mobile phone coverage. I have an older phone a few years old (not a smart phone or blackberry). My hubby also works for Sprint. All info he can find and/or the Sprint website indicates International roaming charges are $2.49/min and data charges are $0.05/kb. Hubby says data is accessing the internet and does not include texting. He said texting would be listed separately.

My question is this: we cannot find info about texting - which our employee plan allows unlimited texting! So am I right :eek: that in Europe I can text all I want and will not be charged?

If your on the ship, you go through the ships cell tower when texting. Its .50 a text to send and .05 to recieve. You will need to find out how much it is on land because you will be on roaming. You might want to look into a international plan while on your cruise if you want make calls and not get dinged on your phone billl post-cruise.

You need to speak to them to clarify.

I found this on their website

Thanks NorbertsNeice, that says international texting is $0.20/text sent and $0.05/text received looks like at the airport and in port but does not list texting charges. However, I did call and found out this.

No matter what Sprint phone I have, I cannot text at all on RC ships because the ship's tower does not support texting!! If find this to be B.S. because I've read here on the board of many people who can text (at cost, I'm ok with!)

:cool: Well I'm on hold with Sprint, they're going to credit my account $50 for my inconvenience for the phone calls I will have to make since NO Sprint phone can text on RC ships!!! :mad: That totally blows my mind since Sprint is supposed to be the leader in access but apparently not around the globe!

$50 credit averages out to 4 one-minute phone calls a day for a 5 day cruise. But we all know the reality! It takes almost a full minute to access voicemail, to listen to the header then the message, so now I'm into my second minute listening to a long message and then calling them back, then that conversation however long -- and that's assuming that I reach them and don't have to leave a message and call me back, then they miss me and leave a messsage!!!! OY I'm getting myself worked up. Not happy :cool:

Switch to an Iphone, they have international plans for texting. The iphone is already set up to be used overseas. U can go to any att store and pick up the international texting brochure.

What I do when abroad is have all incoming calls go to voicemail. You have to set this up before you leave your home country. The voice message will ask them to NOT leave a voice message unless it is an emergency but to send a text instead.

Archived