A couple Destiny questions.

Having cruised on Island escape last year and had a great time, we decided to give Destiny a try.

My first question is, can my parents have duty free drink in their room as they do like a tipple in the evening whilst getting ready?

Secondly what will happen if i wear my smart jeans,shirt and shoes to the severn sea's restaurant? Will i be sent away to the cafe or will i be allowed in?

I look foward to anyones reply.;)

Hi arf67

The answer to your first question is yes you can have your own duty free in your cabin.

The second one is a bit more debatable. Definitely no jeans on Gala night and you probably won't see many men, if any, in jeans on other nights either.(I am assuming you are male from the question:eek:). Most tend to wear chinos or suit trousers with a shirt (no need for a tie other than Gala night). Women seem to get away with wearing a smart pair of jeans and a sparkly top in the Seven Seas though.

Jeans and shorts are perfectly okay in the Lido buffet, which is where we eat every night as we are not into the whole dressing up thing.

We have been on the Destiny 3 times so far and are booked on her again for the Caribbean again in March 2011 and we think she's great.

I'm sure you will have a great time.

We are on the IE in July this year.

Janet

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes i am male, and being only 43, this was why i asked about jeans. I feel and look alot more comfortable in them. Don't look scruffy just smart casual. I know some people don't like them at dinner times. May have to eat in the lido buffet like yourself then, or rethink my wardrobe!

Cheers again and if i ave anymore questions i know where to come.

You might be OK with smart dress jeans, black etc but not the tatty blue variety which I leave at home.

Get yourself a pair of chinos which are pretty much what most men wear on other than the formal night. Polo shirts are also OK or anything with a collar. No tee shirts though

For breakfast and lunch you can wear shorts or 3/4 length trousers as the smart casual code is just for the evenings.

On captains formal night you can dress smart casual and eat in the buffet as the formal dress code only applies to the cocktails and main dining room.

Secondly what will happen if i wear my smart jeans,shirt and shoes to the severn sea's restaurant? Will i be sent away to the cafe or will i be allowed in?

I look foward to anyones reply.;)

fighting0043.gif

Not wanting to court controversy but wear what you feel comfortable in I say.

when we were on the Destiny last year i seen a guy in 3/4 lengths for his dinner , the only guy to do it but he wasn't asked to leave , also seen a few in Jeans and while like to wear jeans i don't as it's only an evening after all , i stick on a pair of chino's and either a Polo or a shirt , my son wears his jeans and a polo or shirt no one bothers him (age 15)

I think some people can get far to fussy over this , and babble on about standards etc...........all a lot of stuffy nonsense in my opinion.

I don't think some people realise the price of certain pairs of Jeans these days :):)

The Seven Seas restaurant evening meal is a silver service five course dinner, with the waiters dressed in waistcoats and bow ties.

Would you wear jeans in the evening to a restaurant of a similar standard at home?

Your parents' cabin steward will bring them a bucket of ice each evening if they ask.

Carol x

Ok ill bite...

The attire is a suggestion and not mandatory. I've seen far worse on better cruise lines. Uniform standards are different for crew than passengers. As for the UK, Id wear whatever i felt comfortable in, im paying after all..if not ill take my money elsewhere. I'm really not fussed as it doesnt bother me.

Personally, I'd have expected this type of comment from the P&O or Cunard forum.

Lets have a look at the definition of 'Silver Service' to make things clear.

•Silver service is the name given to a method of table service in the United Kingdom. This usually includes serving food at the table. It is a technique of transferring food from a service dish to the guest's plate from the left

•Style of catering where the food is delivered to the table on a platter held by the waiter and served to the customer's plate using a fork and spoon

You've had that happen with Thomsons? I bet.

Ok ill bite...

The attire is a suggestion and not mandatory. I've seen far worse on better cruise lines. Uniform standards are different for crew than passengers. As for the UK, Id wear whatever i felt comfortable in, im paying after all..if not ill take my money elsewhere. I'm really not fussed as it doesnt bother me.

Personally, I'd have expected this type of comment from the P&O or Cunard forum.

Lets have a look at the definition of 'Silver Service' to make things clear.

•Silver service is the name given to a method of table service in the United Kingdom. This usually includes serving food at the table. It is a technique of transferring food from a service dish to the guest's plate from the left

•Style of catering where the food is delivered to the table on a platter held by the waiter and served to the customer's plate using a fork and spoon

You've had that happen with Thomsons? I bet.

What I don't want is to see a slide toward chavdom, trainers, tracksuit bottoms and the garish football tops which, luckily I have only seen on one Thomsons cruise.

Dinner service on Thomsons is plated?

What I don't want is to see a slide toward chavdom, trainers, tracksuit bottoms and the garish football tops which, luckily I have only seen on one Thomsons cruise.

Agree dave,more especially the football tops but surely there has to be an in between as in smart but casual dress code,ie none of the above

I agree Dave you and me both, however this time we saw no 'chavvy' wear. The only time we saw football tops was a family who went to watch the Man United game in Tenerife during the day. The price reflects the clientele nowadays, and a new breed of passengers are born.

Theres a difference between silver service and a pre plated dinner service. See the comments and pick out the difference between a platter, serving dish and a plate.

Thomsons never have catered for SS, not at least in the past 14 years anyway, you get what you pay for ;)

"Would you wear jeans in the evening to a restaurant of a similar standard at home?"

I merely posed the question so that arf67 could make his own mind up. If he (or indeed anyone else) would feel comfortable in jeans in that setting then that's up to them. I was not implying he shouldn't wear them, but actually most people don't.

We have always had bread rolls, vegetables, potatoes, gravy and salad dressings served individually at the table.

Carol x

Archived