Whale watching AND fishing?

Diane In TN

Our family of 5 -- parents and children (ages 15, 18 and 21) are headed on our first Alaska cruise on the Zandaam, leaving June 25. We just booked and I'm busy researching excursion options.

With 5 people, we have 5 different ideas, so I could use some outside advice. Husband wants to go whale-watching (what he's ALWAYS wanted to do), so I've booked Harv and Marv for all of us in Juneau. That's all that I have set so far.

The two teenage sons really want to go fishing (we all love salmon and want to ship some home), and dad is up for that as well. We're only in Ketchikan from 7 a.m. to noon, however, so fishing there would eat up their entire time (and they're sort of keen on the Lumberjack Show -- not my cup of tea but I can see how teenage boys might get into it, correct?) Daughter and I would not be going fishing.

So that leaves salmon fishing for Sitka. We have all day there, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. But the more I read on this forum, the more it seems that Ketchikan is far preferable. I can't even really find a recommendation as to charter boat company in Sitka.

Bottomline: Should the boys give up the Lumberjack Show and use the whole morning in Ketchikan doing the salmon fishing? Or would Sitka be OK -- I keep reading about the open sea and seasickness, etc.?

Cost is also a concern here, and I'm wondering if the whale tour is too similar to the salmon fishing... We'll be paying $149 apiece (nearly $750 for the family) to see the whales, and then the guys will be spending something similar $130x3 to fish (and won't they see whales, too?) Are the two experiences different enough to warrant the two separate trips?

Any advice greatly appreciated --

Diane in Nashville

The only thing I say is be flexible and also need to understand one can't do everything nor see everything one wants on one trip or should one try.

My 2cents is Ketchikan is the place to fish. The nice thing about Ketchikan from the research I've done is for Salmon you won't be in the open ocean but the channel area. Late June is perfect time from what I can determine for King, I too have a 1/2 day scheduled. Hope it is "catching" and not fishing. Only 1/2 of our group is going the others aren't big fishers. In the end everyone has to decide from themselves.

Good luck.

Well whale watching and fishing have nothing in common, except you are on the water. :) Do you happen to have the WHOLE boat chartered for your group?? IF so, I would add on fishing to your whale watch. If I am not mistaken (an I could be??) I believe this company did do fishing prior to becoming a whale watch operator??

Varied wildlife boat tours are fantastic out of Sitka, and this is your only boat accessable area, if you are interested in seeing puffins. You also see humpbacks and sea otters. Independent companies are needed to verify your routing, depending on your wildlife priority.

There are fishing trips out of Sitka, to consider http://www.sitka.org

Actually I did ask about combining the whale and fishing in Juneau (as we have the whole boat with 5 of us.) They said they use completely different boats for fishing ...

So we'll stick with the whale-watching in Juneau. And now for Sitka v Ketchikan for salmon fishing ... what would we do in Sitka (inexpensively) if we don't do the fishing? We have all day -- 8-5.

Sika is by far and away the BEST fishing place on the cruise! We have fished out of there many times and always had great luck. You WILL see whales along the way to the fishing hole as well as Sea Otters.

Private charters are plentiful, but you will need to book carefully to make sure you get back in time. It is a bit of a run to the fishing grounds there. They may well go offshore as well to fish which will be very different than Ketchikan.

If fishing is a priority, then Sitka is definitely the place to go!

An Alaskan rule of thumb is that the close to the ocean you are, the better the fishing is. You won' get any closer than Sitka.

Actually I did ask about combining the whale and fishing in Juneau (as we have the whole boat with 5 of us.) They said they use completely different boats for fishing ...

So we'll stick with the whale-watching in Juneau. And now for Sitka v Ketchikan for salmon fishing ... what would we do in Sitka (inexpensively) if we don't do the fishing? We have all day -- 8-5.

I noted the web address above for you to refer to.

The National Park service has some exhibits, and a very nice loop walking trail past totems and a fort site. The Alaska Raptor Center is worthwhile. There is the Archangles dancers. http://www.sitka.org/attractions.html

Archived