Off the Imagination- Pool dumped on us?

NickCDN

Just off the Imagination May 3-7. 2010. Overall it was a decent cruise and excellent value for the money paid ($500 for two). I will say the amount of drunken people at all hours was staggering. A couple times fights between groups of young men almost broke out during late night comedy shows. Defiantly different from previous cruises.

My only major problem was while eating lunch while leaving Key West sitting outside the buffet, we were totally soaked with HUGE wave of water coming from the deck above (the deck with the waterslide and splash area). It seriously felt like the entire pool emptied onto us and about 5 other tables around us and flowed for a good 2 minutes. We had just changed into nice clothes and then were soaked as well as our lunch went to waste and got washed overboard! Went to tell Guest services about the problem and "Goran" told us the they have someone monitoring water levels so this doesn’t happen. So he basically told us we were lying, which is funny because how were we soaking wet and how would we know this happens and if this wasn’t an issue, why would they have someone monitoring the water levels on the top deck. They obviously were not doing their job. No we are not looking for free cruise, compensation, obc, but were truly concerned about our safety. Someone will get seriously hurt someday, if this problem isn’t fixed. Mark my words, when someone does, Ill pull this thread back up.

Other than that problem, cruise was as expected. I will say I do enjoy the Fantasy class ships much better than the triumph class. Evolutions of Fun upgrades were nice. Staterooms were nice as well. Will probably try Princess or RCI next, but the value for $ is hard to beat on Carnival.

Any questions about the Imagination, please ask

Nick

You complained to guest services for getting wet? What solution were you expecting from them other than an apology?

Maybe an acknowledgment of what happened to them and also to let them know that someone screwed up so it doesn't happen again, this time with possibly tragic consequences.

You complained to guest services for getting wet? What solution were you expecting from them other than an apology?

We were not complaining to Guest Services, but letting them know of the problem. What would have happened if someone was leaning over the railing? We did not ask for anything, not even an aplolgy as I could care less anyways. Usually as an employee of a company, you would want to rectify the problem, instead of basically denying that it happened.

FYI Before I even told "Goran" I said I was not looking for anything.

Why not complain to guest services. If I am having lunch I do not expect to get by a wave of water from the pool from a different deck. Hopefully the OP was wearing a swimsuit.

Just off the Imagination May 3-7. 2010. Overall it was a decent cruise and excellent value for the money paid ($500 for two). I will say the amount of drunken people at all hours was staggering. A couple times fights between groups of young men almost broke out during late night comedy shows. Defiantly different from previous cruises.

My only major problem was while eating lunch while leaving Key West sitting outside the buffet, we were totally soaked with HUGE wave of water coming from the deck above (the deck with the waterslide and splash area). It seriously felt like the entire pool emptied onto us and about 5 other tables around us and flowed for a good 2 minutes. We had just changed into nice clothes and then were soaked as well as our lunch went to waste and got washed overboard! Went to tell Guest services about the problem and "Goran" told us the they have someone monitoring water levels so this doesn’t happen. So he basically told us we were lying, which is funny because how were we soaking wet and how would we know this happens and if this wasn’t an issue, why would they have someone monitoring the water levels on the top deck. They obviously were not doing their job. No we are not looking for free cruise, compensation, obc, but were truly concerned about our safety. Someone will get seriously hurt someday, if this problem isn’t fixed. Mark my words, when someone does, Ill pull this thread back up.

Other than that problem, cruise was as expected. I will say I do enjoy the Fantasy class ships much better than the triumph class. Evolutions of Fun upgrades were nice. Staterooms were nice as well. Will probably try Princess or RCI next, but the value for $ is hard to beat on Carnival.

Any questions about the Imagination, please ask

Nick

Why not complain to guest services. If I am having lunch I do not expect to get by a wave of water from the pool from a different deck. Hopefully the OP was wearing a swimsuit.

Yes, and the OP should have. If nothing else, Carnival should have provided a free bag of laundry.

Maybe some should try reading the "OP's" post again...

I agree with the "OP" that this could be a dangerous thing to have happened. Someone could have really gotten hurt.

I have had less than stellar service from guest services in the past=we had orange rusty water in our stateroom sink and shower after 2 visits from the ship plumber it was never fixed. We used soda water to brush our teeth. Yet I still cruise CCL a few times a year. I just don't expect great service. I do believe CCL should have provided laundry service for the OP.

Wow. How many times do people criticize the OP without even reading what they said. When we got through laughing, we would have also told the guest services desk, asked them to launder our clothes and changed and went back to the buffet line. Quite a story. Could have been a tragedy.

Would have been a huge tragedy if it happened to me since I wear 10,000 dollars worth of electronics on my head. Cochlear implant processer and hearing aid equals big bucks, if it happened to me I would have to see if my travel insurance covered it, but bottom lineis, if my lifeline to the hearing world was ruined because of someones error on the cruiseline they would have to pay.

I only bring this up because people are telling OP you only got wet, what do you want? Believe me they could have slipped, expensive electronics could have been ruined, they do have wireless on the ship.

If I'm eating lunch and not right next to the pool or hot tubs I do NOT expect to get wet.

Sorry OP for what happened, thanks for posting it.

Hey Nick, would like info on your cruise, other than the horrible water incident. We are scheduled for this cruise on June 7th. How was the food, etc.? What type music groups were there? Do you think a shirt and tie would be acceptable for elegant night? How were the ports? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. :)

OP-thank you for going out of your way to bring up a saftey concern. I didn't think you were asking for anything but just giving the guest services a heads up that someone didn't do their job correctly and could have had something horrible happen.

Whats even worse is that this is not the first time that someone has reported a Water Works rogue wave. There were others who talked about this a while back right after Inspiration and Imagination got the original EOF upgrades. Those folks were also enjoying a meal at the buffet's outside area, and were doused by pool water. Its been a while since I have seen anything about it, so I though they had corrected the problem, but apparently they have not.

OP: I can feel your pain dealing with guest services. In 2007 we were on

the Valor and DW and my kids were sitting on the "lido deck" on deck 10.

We were very close to the pool where the water slide comes into. Above it

is a spa up a few steps. There were unsupervised young kids about 8 years

old climbing on the rails and jumping into the pool. It was very dangerous

and as a parent I was feared for one of them hitting their head on the pool

etc. Another guest called security from the inside room and they never sent

anyone up. This guest and I talked to the kids but they only stopped for

about 3 minutes. DW took a picture of them doing it, what for we did not

know. We went to the purser desk who basically told us that no kids

could jump as we told them. Besides security is there right now and reported

nothing of the like. When I showed him the digital picture he only then got

security supervisor to address the issue.

The sad sad thing is later that night we went to go swimming as we usually do.

But the pool was closed and roped off. There were 3 or 4 crew members

near by. When DS was disappointed that it was closed. I asked one of the

crew members, dressed in white, what the deal was. He just said a fatal

accident is under investigation. Not sure if it was related or not, but made

us really think twice.

This is a great heads up to avoid the waterworks areas and UNDER the waterworks areas on these ships IF you mind getting wet.

That used to be one of my two favorite places of serentity on the Fantasy class ships, if I'm reading this right.

Sounds like a water level was attained, and the movement of the ship sent it over whatever the containment is.

I don't think anyone would appreaciate an unexpected wall of water.

I'm surprised at the lack of reaction. I once had a suit delivered late (what they returned was not mine), and I got a bunch of "sorry" lavish gifts, plus a visit from the officer in charge of laundry services.

Trying to strain my brain, this area is on the back of the ship? I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to me when we cruise in December. I am so sorry it happened to you, and you were right in reporting it...but as others have stated, we do see all sorts of undisciplined/irregular activities happening on board Carnival and unless some absolute tragedy occurs, nothing is addressed. It's like ...well here are our guidleines and rules, but if you break them, we wont say anything unless WE will be disciplined for the actions.

We saw the same thing happen on the Imagination three years ago, so it's not a new phenomenon, but appears they have not corrected it yet. We were having some lunch at an outdoor table on the port side aft and as we left Grand Turk the huge wave came from the deck above. While we were not impacted three or four tables which were unoccupied were. My DD mentioned how upset she would have been if we had been seated there. Sorry this had to happen to the OP, it must have been quite a shock.:mad:

That used to be one of my two favorite places of serentity on the Fantasy class ships, if I'm reading this right.

Sounds like a water level was attained, and the movement of the ship sent it over whatever the containment is.

I don't think anyone would appreaciate an unexpected wall of water.

I'm surprised at the lack of reaction. I once had a suit delivered late (what they returned was not mine), and I got a bunch of "sorry" lavish gifts, plus a visit from the officer in charge of laundry services.

I wonder if it's more up the the officer in charge than any general policies to deal with complaints??? I would expect a company as large as Carnival would have a general guideline to deal with complaints but the experience of people is way too varied for anyone to be following one.

Your either showered with appologies and someone trying to make up for it, or you're almost blown off.

Also the areas seem to be consistant in responses. When it comes to the pool areas the rules do not seem to be enforced (see chairhogs and kids in adult areas) But the service areas such as laundry, stewards and that sort seem to be excellent in dealing with complaints and problems.

Anyway it's a good thing to be aware that this could happen, I wouldn't have dreamed it.

OP, I completely agree with you and I would have been upset too, if I went to Guest Services with a safety concern and was blown off. Bad enough that you were dressed nicely and got wet, but like you said, what if someone got hurt, swept overboard or has been mentioned $$$ of electronics ruined?

The least they could have done was had someone come to your room and collect the clothes and laundered/dry cleaned them.

But of course, they've "fixed the problem" and "it doesn't really happen".:(:confused:

unless the waterworks park on the imagination is a different lay out from the sensation this could not happen unless there was an mechanical issue. there is way too much room between the bottom of the water slides and the edge of the decks. the distance that the water would have to travel would have left a very large wet spot on the deck above to show the water come from the slides.

"Surprises" like that could be fatal for someone with a heart condition.

In the least, could have been unfortunate if passengers in this area had some nice cameras, etc. with them at the time of the incident.

OP, did you contact some higher ups at Carnival when you got back? Luckily you only got wet, but this sounds like a potentially dangerous situation and should be corrected. One would think they would like to avoid future ligitimate lawsuits.

"Surprises" like that could be fatal for someone with a heart condition.

In the least, could have been unfortunate if passengers in this area had some nice cameras, etc. with them at the time of the incident.

OP, did you contact some higher ups at Carnival when you got back? Luckily you only got wet, but this sounds like a potentially dangerous situation and should be corrected. One would think they would like to avoid future ligitimate lawsuits.

Does anyone but me see the irony here???? They've made all these asinine changes to what we can and can't bring on despite there never being a fire due to them...."but there COULD be one"....and yet with something like this, a true and real problem that, as others have noted could cause anything from destroying thousands of dollars of medically implanted devices, to accidentally throwing someone overboard, to causing a heart attack from surprise. And has been going on, noted and documented (not the water COULD cause problems, but IS causing problems) for apparently, YEARS now, and nothing (NOTHING) is being done to correct it. It truly makes me wonder if the people in charge of these things are smoking something other than the legal stuff.

"Lets make changes and upset the cruising population for things unreal and imagined in our puny little minds, but for those things real and noted, lets just leave those as is. After all, the changes for the imaginary things cost us nothing, the changes for real and noted things are going to COST fellas! Lets just leave those alone, ok?" Meeting adjourned.

Archived