2 Formal, 2 Semi-Formal and 3 Resort Casual Nights?

I was recently reading through the dress requirements for the Liberty of the Seas. It had mentioned that on a 7 day cruise, there were 2 formal nights, 2 semi-formal nights and 3 resort casual nights. I have no problem with the formal nights, but was wondering what does semi-formal really mean? Does that mean a nice Sunday dress, or are we talking a little more formal than that? I am the group of leader of 12 and really want to get them the right info.

Most people dress in formal wear on formal nights, and in resort/smart casual wear on the other nights regardless of the designation. It's hard enough to get people to abide by the formal dress suggestion, nevermind dressing semiformally on the other nights.

I was recently reading through the dress requirements for the Liberty of the Seas. It had mentioned that on a 7 day cruise, there were 2 formal nights, 2 semi-formal nights and 3 resort casual nights. I have no problem with the formal nights, but was wondering what does semi-formal really mean? Does that mean a nice Sunday dress, or are we talking a little more formal than that? I am the group of leader of 12 and really want to get them the right info.

Hi Luvtcrz: Persoally, for my travels on RCCL and NCL over the last few years (11/09 for 2 weeks was the latest). If you do 2 Formal Nights (long/gown/palazzo pants & dressy tops) on ANY RCCL is perfect. The rest I will smart casual every other night and look fine. No shorts, etc. Even if they call it smart casual or just plain casual, I wear the ''smart" casual the other nights and feel very appropriate. DH wears long sleeve shirts, no ties for those nights. Dark suit or Tux for Formal Nights.

On the other hand, No long gows on NCL..Just dressier slax and prettier tops is all that's needed for that cruise. DH did wear a suit however 1st Formal and last. NCL is much more relaxed in the clothing department especially.

So, no extra casuals are needed. Just Formal and your smart casual will be perfect.

Have a great cruise!!!!

Thank you for your help. My husband and I differ in our choice of attire. He would prefer to dress resort casual every night, where as I like to feel a little fancier than I get to everyday. Our last cruise, we made sure that we were always dressed according to the suggested attire and on the night before we disembarked, we were asked to dine at the Captain's Table. That was a once in a lifetime experience. I don't know if that was because of the way we dressed or just because we really try to be friendly to everyone we meet. Whatever the reason, sure glad we were able to experience that. Once again thanks for your help.

Here is the 'right info' ... as per thr Royal Caribbean website....

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Archived