Children and shows RCI

Jo and Rob

It really depends on the show. Our kids aren't generally that excited by the production shows, but they enjoy seeing a good magician or ventriloquist. They also like the acrobatic Cirque du Soleil type performances, and they definitely loved the ice skating show on the Mariner of the Seas.

They also like the comedians but just be forewarned that sometimes they have been a bit more "adult" than we expected. Sometimes the comedians do an earlier more "clean" show and a late night "mature" show, but sometimes we have been surprised by all the sexual innuendo at some of the early shows. Our kids love all the tired old jokes about flushing the vacuum toilets in the stateroom, lathering up in the teeny tiny showers, making fun of new cruisers, etc. etc. They still talk about some comedian named "Noodles" Lowenstein (as best I can recall) who was on the Celebrity Infinity in 2006.

It depends on the child. My daughter loves anything that has music in it. She has been going to the Shows since she was two and a half, she is now 5. She looks forward to them and will ask every day of the cruise "are we going to the show tonight?". I don't go to the shows with her if it is only a comedian she tends to be bored at those since she is too young to understand the humor.

Lisa

IOS had 2 of they're production shows which our daughter loved, under the big top was a circus themed olne and there ws also a fairytale themed one which she loved. She also loved both of the ice shows, as we were on late dining and she was only 3 so finished at kids club for the after dinner shows, we always took her but also took her portable dvd and ds for her with headphones just in case

Most kids, even the youngest, love the music and lights...even if they don't understand what's going on! Nice diversion!

I'd avoid the "adult" late night shows with anyone except older teens...they can get fairly "racy".

It really depends on the kid...our oldest is a dancer, has been since age 3, and she has always enjoyed the production type shows...she's now 17 and wants to make dance her career, so it's always been her thing. Our middle DD, not so much, she was happier to be left in Adventure Ocean, even as a 12yo, she'd rather be playing with friends than sitting watching a show, and we were on Oasis with spectacular shows! Our youngest (4) has the personality of her biggest sister, and is patient enough to sit through some things, dancing and skating is ok, but other types of entertainment not so much. As a family we do lots of theatre outside of cruising, so we do have an idea of what our kids can tolerate.

On a side note...my oldest really does love dance, and cruising, enough so she has an audition with Royal Caribbean Memorial day weekend! She says she wants to get paid to do the dances she's watched all these years. :D

Archived