Tipping for spa services?

basedow

I'm reading an interesting discussion on the SilverSea board regarding tipping for massages in the spa and whether an all inclusive ship would include tips or not.

In reading the Regent site there are two bullet points about what is included.

"All staff gratuities."

"Fitness, sauna and steam room in the spa."

I think this means that tips should be given for all other services in the spa. Is that your understanding as well?

MenuSpa.png

From the Menu of Services for the Canyon Ranch SpaClub:

"An 18 percent service charge is included in all listed prices. Any additional gratuities for exceptional services are appreciated, but not expected."

MenuSpa.png

From the Menu of Services for the Canyon Ranch SpaClub:

"An 18 percent service charge is included in all listed prices. Any additional gratuities for exceptional services are appreciated, but not expected."

Very very clear... Thank you! :)

Host Dan

You (both) are very welcome...my pleasure.

I have a tipping question though, if you don't mind my hijack.

What is the policy on tipping on the shore excursions? Should we tip guides? What about servers on food excursions? Any idea about how much?

Specifically, my free excursions on my Navigator to Alaska cruise.

TIA

Basedow,

I have not been following the discussion on the SS forum but wanted to note that prior to Canyon Ranch's take over of spa/salon services, tipping was additional for these services on Regent. The line was all inclusive at that point in time. So unless it's explicitly stated as it is here by Regent, I suspect that gratuities are additional, even if a ship is all inclusive. Usually personal items such as shops, laundry, spa services are considered separately.

BTW, I found the hair salon prices to be high....$71 for a shampoo & blow dry.

You (both) are very welcome...my pleasure.

I have a tipping question though, if you don't mind my hijack.

What is the policy on tipping on the shore excursions? Should we tip guides? What about servers on food excursions? Any idea about how much?

TIA

You never have to tip guides, but it is customary to do so, if you enjoyed the guide. Not sure what Regent would say about this. I've only encountered the food server problem once, and admit I did not think of tipping them.

On one of our tours, it seemed that a lot of people didn't have any money on them which was sad for the guide. I saw one man hand a dollar bill to one of the locals (this was in Nimibia, Africa). The man held it up to the light -- turned it upsidedown, backwards and forwards. . . . . absolutely no clue what it was. Hope he was able to use it somehow.

Yes - we do tip the tour guide and the driver. Hadn't thought about the person serving food or beverage. If we are not able to get local currency, we tip in Euro's since they are used in a lot of countries around the world.

From my Alaska Gulf Coast Southbound 2010 Shore Excursions Seven Seas Navigator guide [DO_AK_100623_NV] with my cruise docs:

“Should I tip the tour guide?

While all gratuities are included on board, gratuities for services rendered ashore on an organized tour are a personal matter and left to your discretion. Local guides often anticipate a modest gratuity if you are especially pleased with their knowledge and service. Whenever food or beverages are included in your excursion, RSSC provides the gratuities for these services.”

Has anyone ever noticed that only on the luxe line tours, they let the guests leave from the back door of the bus, thus an escape from tipping by many.

Host Dan

From my Alaska Gulf Coast Southbound 2010 Shore Excursions Seven Seas Navigator guide [DO_AK_100623_NV] with my cruise docs:

“Should I tip the tour guide?

While all gratuities are included on board, gratuities for services rendered ashore on an organized tour are a personal matter and left to your discretion. Local guides often anticipate a modest gratuity if you are especially pleased with their knowledge and service. Whenever food or beverages are included in your excursion, RSSC provides the gratuities for these services.”

Perfect! Thank you ededmd and everyone else for your input.

I have spent a good portion of my life working in the service industry.

Because of that...

I tip often and if I deem appropriate... tip well.

Remember, in most cases, what you are being charged has NOTHING to do with what the employee/guide/professional is being payed.

(There have been threads here in the past where a "critic" would say there was no need to give an additional gratuity because of the cost of the service... and of course, the "critic" was sailing only on yachts and the most high end cruise lines. Please don't be like one of THOSE guys)

Personally, I am a huge fan of paying it forward and helping improve other economies. In most cases, a nice, or even nominal gratuity can make a huge difference to the ones serving you, and really, what does it really mean in the larger scope of things to you? That being said... if the service is below par, you would be better off not tipping and making a comment to the management about the poor service. I would never tip just for the sake of tipping. I believe that IS a bad practice!

I have spent a good portion of my life working in the service industry.

Because of that...

I tip often and if I deem appropriate... tip well....

Personally, I am a huge fan of paying it forward and helping improve other economies. In most cases, a nice, or even nominal gratuity can make a huge difference to the ones serving you, and really, what does it really mean in the larger scope of things to you? That being said... if the service is below par, you would be better off not tipping and making a comment to the management about the poor service. I would never tip just for the sake of tipping. I believe that IS a bad practice!

I totally agree. We always tipped the driver a bit and usually the guide a bit more. A couple guides, one in Santorini and the other in Kusadasi, were amazingly good, BTW!!

But I have to say... for the spa, I did not read the part about gratuities being included on this last cruise. I felt really frustrated having tipped 20% as is customary where I live, on top of very inflated prices. Some friends we met onboard shared that they hadn't known either, but when they found out they went back to the spa to have the charge removed!! Another couple said they paid $100 more for a massage than they pay to have the same one at the Vegas Canyon Ranch spa.

I did feel bad myself, but mostly at my failure to read the gratuity statement! lol

I decided I was paying it forward. :)

bev

Archived