Well Kept Secrete about Tips

ilm28411

We discussed this tipping and salary subject on our cruises last week. Waitress on the Lido deck, who also explained she works other bars, said Carnival pays them $8 per month, yes per month that is, and everything else is tips, which is approx $5000 for a six month contract. She and her husband both worked as bartenders on the ship, and have three children who stay at home with both sets of grandparents. She explained $10,000 between them both for six months, in the phillipines, puts them in what she called " like us' able to vacation etc.

Thanks...glad to know that they are able tomove up the economic ladder back home.....that is why they clamor for the ship jobs!!! We can stop feeling guilty:D

If your gratuities were $140 [2 pax X7 days] they would add $140.00 to your S&S account on DAY ONE. That is a memo billing. You are not actually charged on your credit card until the last day. From day one, hour one, until the end of the cruise, you may go to the Purser's Desk and change the amounts for each individual, up or down any amount you wish.

This info applies to Carnival ONLY. It does NOT apply to any other line including Carnival owned lines, as each line does tips their own way.

For instance, MSC adds $12.00 pppd to the onboard account. And does NOT add a 15% tip charge to bar tabs. But the total tips collected are divided among ALL service workers. So on that line you may be tipping a person you have never seen. I prefer Carnival's way, with YOUR personal servers receiving your tips.

On NCL the tips are called a 'service charge' and are not adjustable.

That's how it is done on Princess, but not on Carnival.

We cruise Carnival 13 times and have cruised NCL twice.

I was going to decrease tips on the first cruise until I found out how little they were. On both my NCL, I removed total tips and paid my own because I felt it more fair. My room was dirty when we arrived so did they deserve auto tips? Not in my book. The wait staff is always different on NCL due to freestyle. We requested the same wait team each evening for the six of us and two those deserved every bit of what we gave them.. Our head waiter on NCL told us if we gave him cash, he does not have to share it in the TIP POOL but if we asked for our auto tip to be increased, he would not get but his usual percentage. The other waiters we encountered during the 14 days cruise, got tipped as we went. Good service deserves tipping. Auto tipping in my opinion created service lacking most times.

I tip on the lido also when those waiters go the extra mile.

I take 100 one dollar bills on excursions for the children I encounter. That is my favorite sovenier. THose smiling faces are precious.

I suggest you reread my post, carefully.

I didn't say I did not tip in the buffet, I said I adjust my tips accordingly.

IF I EAT ON THE SHIP, AND WHERE, determines how much, if any, I tip.

I tip if I eat, If I don't eat, I don't tip.

I tip less for Buffet.

Less service equals less tip.

No service equals no tip.

Not everyone eats 100% of their meals aboard ship, especially in Europe, no need to brown bag.

Simple, fair rules even a caveman can understand:)

isn't the tip for wait staff a mere $3.50 pp/pd??

How much do you leave for the buffet staff when you eat there?

How much do you hand over to the dining room waiter when you eat there??

Not paying the minimal just because you may eat while in port...to save $3.50?????

wow.

Your rules are fair to you, not fair in general.

isn't the tip for wait staff a mere $3.50 pp/pd??

How much do you leave for the buffet staff when you eat there?

How much do you hand over to the dining room waiter when you eat there??

Not paying the minimal just because you may eat while in port...to save $3.50?????

wow.

Your rules are fair to you, not fair in general.

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Multiply that by the 4 members in my family, two under 18.

You don't even know how much you are tipping, to whom and what for?:confused:

It is not the dollar value so much as the principle, I'm not "tipping" for something I didn't get.

Period.

Not fair is tipping twice for the same meal, which is what happens when we eat in port.

Not fair is tipping for service you didn't receive, which is what happens if we don't eat on the ship.

Like the overpriced alcohol and pictures, auto tipping is just another revenue generator for the cruise lines.

If you feel it's not that much, add it to your bill because I'm taking it off mine!:p

I just don't get the idea that someone needs to PERSONALLY hand the money to someone to show that they appreciate the service.

Just as I prefer service to be as invisible and unobtrusive as possible, I prefer to NOT make a big deal about giving a tip!

IMHO, people are NOT doing it to show their appreciation. They're doing it for some sort of personal gratification. I don't WANT someone to stand there and be expected to thank me profusely for giving the tip that they earned.

Sure seems like some kind of sad power trip to me.

I leave the auto tips. If I want to tip my cabin steward extra, I leave it in the cabin with a note. I don't wait in the hall for him to show up so I can hand it to him and expect him to express his gratitude.

If I want to leave an extra tip for a drink, I add it to the S&S bill. I don't see any need to hand it to the server. Same as in the dining room.

I want them to know I'm grateful for their service, not that they should be grateful that I'm giving them what they've earned!

Hey NCTribeFan!

I've got one of those "on one hand vs on the other hand" thing with this point. Always keep auto tip, but...

I guess it comes down to motivation of whether or not the extra tip is personally given. Depending on how much we get to know the steward determines how personal the method of our tip giving.

It is a nice "capper" to the cruise experience to actually say "Goodbye, you've been great and also we won't forget to note this for bosses to see."

Other times when we hardly see the cabin steward we leave a note with the the tip.

So, I'm ambivalent about the tipping thing...

FYI..re. the rough water pride cruise last May, I think of it every time I watch Most Dangerous Catch.:)

Mike

Carnival Cruise lines will not tell you this but I found out this weekend from a crew member who used to work for carnival as a waiter that the tips that are subtracted from your bill ($70.00 pp) is 95% of their income they earn. Carnival only supplements this by only 5%. Meaning that our tips for the wait staff pay for 95% of their salary. So tipping is very important and giving a little extra at the end if you can offord it will help them out. If I had only knew this a long time ago. I can't belive carnival pays them very little for the hard work they do.

Believe this: So what is new? Wait staff in U. S. restaurants is in this situation too. Actually, I talked to an American who is working as a waiter on Carnival ships. He said they pay him more than most of his shore-side employers did and the tips are better.

Yes, the wait staff and cabin steward work hard. They also end up compensated much better than they would be at home.

That is the bottom line.

Doc

Believe this: So what is new? Wait staff in U. S. restaurants is in this situation too. Actually, I talked to an American who is working as a waiter on Carnival ships. He said they pay him more than most of his shore-side employers did and the tips are better.

Yes, the wait staff and cabin steward work hard. They also end up compensated much better than they would be at home.

That is the bottom line.

Doc

Hey Doc,

Love your dog! Can't help but notice she looks like my Golden Retriever with photo-shopped leg shortening LOL:D

Mike

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Multiply that by the 4 members in my family, two under 18.

You don't even know how much you are tipping, to whom and what for?:confused:

It is not the dollar value so much as the principle, I'm not "tipping" for something I didn't get.

Period.

Not fair is tipping twice for the same meal, which is what happens when we eat in port.

Not fair is tipping for service you didn't receive, which is what happens if we don't eat on the ship.

Like the overpriced alcohol and pictures, auto tipping is just another revenue generator for the cruise lines.

If you feel it's not that much, add it to your bill because I'm taking it off mine!:p

The $5.50 is for the entire days service - breakfast, lunch and dinner and any other food service you may have for the day, such as snacks or tea.

So if you eat at port, do you demand a refund for the food you didn't eat on the ship?

nope, I don't and yes, I definitely do at the end when all is said and done.

Yes, the dollar value seem infintesimal to me considering the 20% I tip for one meal out at a restaurant.

I understand your thinking but in no way agree with it.

To each his own.

I am sooooo coonfused..

We pre-paid our gratuities.. Will we have auto tip or a gratuity bill at the end of our sailing? Friends of ours did not pre-pay gratuities, what will be on that SS account..

Please, can someone explain this in detail..

I am sooooo coonfused..

We pre-paid our gratuities.. Will we have auto tip or a gratuity bill at the end of our sailing? Friends of ours did not pre-pay gratuities, what will be on that SS account..

Please, can someone explain this in detail..

You pre-paid, meaning that $10 pp/pd was included in your fare and paid at final payment. NO, you will not be billed again on your S&S card.

You're friends will see the charge for $10 pp/pd on theirs.

Most times, they add it per day on your account.

You pre-paid, meaning that $10 pp/pd was included in your fare and paid at final payment. NO, you will not be billed again on your S&S card.

You're friends will see the charge for $10 pp/pd on theirs.

Most times, they add it per day on your account.

Ok.. I see.. and what everyone is arguing about is some people go to the "front desk" and remove the $10 charge per day and "say" that they will tip the workers in person?

Ok.. I see.. and what everyone is arguing about is some people go to the "front desk" and remove the $10 charge per day and "say" that they will tip the workers in person?

exactly.

So what you should do is just leave things alone as you already prepaid tips.

if...remember...if.....you want to you can leave the steward or waiters a small extra token...$20 maybe?

Please don't think that pax are leaving 100's of extra in tips....just aint so...the normal, average cruiser is only leaving a little extra. Regardless of what some may say they leave. BTW, ship workers read and post to these boards;)

If you order at the bar...15% is automatically added

room service a buck or two out of your pocket is fine.

Some folks feel guilty and have to "share their wealth" I don't...and I never stiff anyone who deserves to be tipped....but no way am I ever going to try to go overboard with tips......that would only make the tipper look foolish..IMHO

My head waiter on my last cruise said they are paid $70 per month...But you have to remember they all get free room and board....I always tip extra if they do a good job, but we had several times last cruise where the kitchen held up our service with their "new and improved" head chef...LOL....I got terrible DR service on my last NCL cruise with anytime dining so I can't wait to see what kind we get on this next NCL cruise...I swore I would never do another NCL but my wife found a great deal on the NCL Spirit re-positioning cruise , so if I get bad service this time I will take off my tips for the dining room...Dennis

Some folks feel guilty and have to "share their wealth"

:rolleyes:

...and maybe some people don't feel any guilt but like to share because it makes them feel good that they can?????? ;)

:rolleyes:

...and maybe some people don't feel any guilt but like to share because it makes them feel good that they can?????? ;)

any extra we have goes to the kids.....you can donate my way as well:D

Seriously though, in my experience it is the ones that can barely pay their expenses that like to throw big tips around. In that scenario, I believe they are just trying to fake who they really are. On the other hand, the ones I know who make well into 6 figure salaries...$250,000 or so (which is not exorbinate around here) and are raising solid families with 3 or 4 kids (also, not unusual around here) are the ones that are carefully watching the bucks......so their kids don't have to take out $200,000 in college loans...which is also crazy!!!!!

The DSC isn't a tip.

Wrong cruise line

On CCL they are still considered gratuities/tips for services rendered.

If it was a DSC I had agreed to when I booked the cruise, I would not change it.

any extra we have goes to the kids.....you can donate my way as well:D

Seriously though, in my experience it is the ones that can barely pay their expenses that like to throw big tips around. In that scenario, I believe they are just trying to fake who they really are. On the other hand, the ones I know who make well into 6 figure salaries...$250,000 or so (which is not exorbinate around here) and are raising solid families with 3 or 4 kids (also, not unusual around here) are the ones that are carefully watching the bucks......so their kids don't have to take out $200,000 in college loans...which is also crazy!!!!!

My kids are my first priority, as most kids are to most parents.

We prevented them going into college debt and we pay our expenses and have no debt (other than a mortgage) AND save nicely for our future..... I agree that there are a lot of people like you describe, but there are exceptions, just so you are aware. ;)

My tipping well stems from my appreciation of being waited on. I spend my life taking care of my family, there is nothing nicer that having someone take care of me for a couple weeks a year.

I once read an article on CNN that was titled "Thriving on $50,000 a year salary, In Debt making $250,000 a year salary.. It featured 4 families of 5. The ones that made under $50,000 a year took more vacations, had 0 debt, and had more in retirement.. On the otherhand, the 2 families that made just under $250,000 were broke and in debt beyond belief..

There is sometimes more then meets the eye.. I agree with Halo's statement that some people just like that they can give it;)

I once read an article on CNN that was titled "Thriving on $50,000 a year salary, In Debt making $250,000 a year salary.. It featured 4 families of 5. The ones that made under $50,000 a year took more vacations, had 0 debt, and had more in retirement.. On the otherhand, the 2 families that made just under $250,000 were broke and in debt beyond belief..

There is sometimes more then meets the eye.. I agree with Halo's statement that some people just like that they can give it;)

I agree with what you are saying...what I am saying is that when someone making $50,000 with bills to pay and can't pay them, insists on overtipping....that is pitiful. If you can give it and want to fine...but if you can't give it...but want to look as though you can give it...that is another story.

I believe some of those here...some, not all....that like to say they give big tips...are probably ones that should rethink their methods. Not talking about Halos or anyone else who gives large than usual tips. Just talking about those who shouldn't be doing it but do anyway. When I say shouldn't....I am talking about those who may be facing debt collectors or are past due with mortgages.

For us, while $20 will not bankrupt us.....it will go to pay for one of the kids class trips...which I will never deny them...if I had to tell the kids they can't go on the trip, but still throw excess tips around...then I am the fool...no one else.

Archived