Best price guarantee

TWELVEOHONE

May 17, 2010

Dear Travel Agent Partner:

As you know, at Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International, a top priority is finding ways to offer products and policies that make it easy for you to match your clients with unforgettable cruise vacations. One way to do that is to ensure that we are giving you and your clients the security of knowing that when booking a cruise vacation with us, you can receive our best price.

We are pleased to introduce a new program that aims to do just that. We call it the “Best Price Guarantee” program. With our Best Price Guarantee, if you or your client finds a lower cruise fare advertised by us within 48 hours of booking the same cruise* with Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International, we will give your client an onboard credit in the amount of 110% of the difference between the two fares. Your client can enjoy this credit during their cruise.

To take advantage of this offer, you or your client simply need to complete the Best Price Guarantee claim form online within 48 hours of booking the client’s cruise. If the information submitted meets the criteria, we will automatically add the onboard credit to the client’s reservation.

Beginning Monday, May 17, more information will be available online. As a travel agent partner, you will be able to find the Best Price Guarantee claim form and more details at http://www.cruisingpower.com. Your clients will be able to access the form and more at our consumer websites:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/bestpriceguarantee

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bestpriceguarantee

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/bestpriceguarantee.

This new program replaces our previous price protection policy and will give your clients the comfort to book with confidence, knowing that within a 48-hour period, we will honor our Best Price Guarantee.

We appreciate your partnership and look forward to your continued success.

Sincerely yours,

I don't know the point of this protection since it has to be Azamara's rate which you will find on their web site. It can not be a group booking.

"Lower rates must be Azamara Club Cruises publicly advertised fares available to the general public. Group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Azamara to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates are ineligible."

I don't know the point of this protection since it has to be Azamara's rate which you will find on their web site. It can not be a group booking.

"Lower rates must be Azamara Club Cruises publicly advertised fares available to the general public. Group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Azamara to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates are ineligible."

Their is no group rates. A group booking does not get lower prices they get perks that can be used for lower pricing. For example book a group of 16 full paying passengers (2 in a cabin) you only pay for 15. The money saved by the 16th passenger can be distributed to all in the group thereby reducing fare cost.

Group rates are guranteed at time of booking and deposited so if fare goes up it looks like the group rate is discounted. But the cruise line does not have special group rates

Am I reading this right? The price match period has been reduced to a mere 48 hours? Act fast to get 110% price difference in OBC!

On the positive side, it will save endless hours doing futile price checks right up to final payment and beyond! LOL.

Am I reading this right? The price match period has been reduced to a mere 48 hours? Act fast to get 110% price difference in OBC!

On the positive side, it will save endless hours doing futile price checks right up to final payment and beyond! LOL.

Does this mean your price is not protected up until final payment?

Their is no group rates. A group booking does not get lower prices they get perks that can be used for lower pricing. For example book a group of 16 full paying passengers (2 in a cabin) you only pay for 15. The money saved by the 16th passenger can be distributed to all in the group thereby reducing fare cost.

Group rates are guranteed at time of booking and deposited so if fare goes up it looks like the group rate is discounted. But the cruise line does not have special group rates

That is what I said. Group rates do not count, just Azamara's listed rate.

As I understood it, Azamara's previous "guarantee" was that if Azamara lowered the price at any time before you sailed (and you were aware of the price drop) you could ask for a credit for the difference. Some people got OBC and others got a credit to their credit cards. We took advantage of some substantial price drops on more than one cruise.

This sounds like the "guarantee" has been shortened to 2 days. Right?

I guess if the price drop is substantial enough you could always cancel, pay a cancellation fee, and rebook. Of course, that means releasing the cabin you booked. I would think that people would not want to book too far out if they though prices might drop.

This doesn't sound at all good.:(

That is what I said. Group rates do not count, just Azamara's listed rate.

Azamara listed rates and group rates are the same

I am part of a Royal Caribbean group and RCI had a rate drop. Everyone in the group got the drop

As I understood it, Azamara's previous "guarantee" was that if Azamara lowered the price at any time before you sailed (and you were aware of the price drop) you could ask for a credit for the difference. Some people got OBC and others got a credit to their credit cards. We took advantage of some substantial price drops on more than one cruise.

This sounds like the "guarantee" has been shortened to 2 days. Right?

I guess if the price drop is substantial enough you could always cancel, pay a cancellation fee, and rebook. Of course, that means releasing the cabin you booked. I would think that people would not want to book too far out if they though prices might drop.

This doesn't sound at all good.:(

Plus, if you cancel and rebook you can not get a pre-existing condition waiver on insurance (or at least the policies that I have used that can be bought at final payment).

Hi Everyone !

There is an active discussion on the Celebrity board about this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202483 , as they & Royal Caribbean enacted the same program today. I'm trying to get clarification, but it seems the days of price adjustments are either coming to an end (for now), or will be severely curtailed.

I hope I'm wrong, but at first glance, this looks like very bad news for those who like to book well in advance, and I'm one of them. I will post more, if & when I can get further details. Stay Tuned !

Hi Everyone !

There is an active discussion on the Celebrity board about this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202483 , as they & Royal Caribbean enacted the same program today. I'm trying to get clarification, but it seems the days of price adjustments are either coming to an end (for now), or will be severely curtailed.

I hope I'm wrong, but at first glance, this looks like very bad news for those who like to book well in advance, and I'm one of them. I will post more, if & when I can get further details. Stay Tuned !

So, this is all new today?

There has been no affect on any of my HAL cruises as they have all sold out. I guess they know how to price correctly in the first place and have a loyal following.

Plus, if you cancel and rebook you can not get a pre-existing condition waiver on insurance (or at least the policies that I have used that can be bought at final payment).

GOOD POINT. I didn't think of it. That would be a dealbreaker for us.

The press release was dated today and company wide

meaning AZ, RCCL, and Celebrity...

it will be interesting if the rest of the cruise lines follow along

you know how one airline will start with something and then the other airlines line up like little ducklings...

They are looking to protect travel agents commissions

AND to get a better handle on their bottom line.

They will now be able to forecast their profits better, which

will help with inventory, sales, etc etc.

Business wise it makes sense if you are the corporation

Consumer wise, it's just another tool taken away from us

who are diligent on saving our pennies so we can travel as much as possible.

Just spole to a very nice lady at Captains Club and she said they will still do price drops before final payt as usual. She also verified her answer with someone else. Apparently this is in regards to after final pay't. She assured me it is still ok to book further out. But the release is very confusing!!

She is expecting many calls

I hope I'm wrong, but at first glance, this looks like very bad news for those who like to book well in advance, and I'm one of them.
We also prefer to book early. And then we watch prices & follow-up on any drops.

I'd be OK with this more limited 48-hour period for price matching IF Azamara changed their pricing model so those who booked early truly got the BEST price. Otherwise, what's the incentive to give them $$ early & watch those who book later get all the sweet deals?

*For cruises within penalty periods only. For cruises outside of penalty, Travel Agents or Guests may cancel and rebook at the lower rate if all qualifications of the new fare are met. Lower rates must be fares available to the general public that are publicly advertised by Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International.

Azamara listed rates and group rates are the same

I am part of a Royal Caribbean group and RCI had a rate drop. Everyone in the group got the drop

Large groups can get special rates and they are not the same.

Just spole to a very nice lady at Captains Club and she said they will still do price drops before final payt as usual. She also verified her answer with someone else. Apparently this is in regards to after final pay't. She assured me it is still ok to book further out. But the release is very confusing!!

She is expecting many calls

Hi Christine Frances !

I truly hope you are right. If so, it's really much ado about nothing. As I said in my last post, I'm not going to be concerned, until we have confirmation from Celebrity/Azamara.

If they plan to honor price drops until Final Payment, then I have absolotely no problem with the new program... but the way it's worded, it will unfortunately cause much confusion.

Another poster mentioned that it may be necessary to cancel and rebook, which would be quite silly, create many unhappy guests, and will keep their reservation agents and TA's busy with a bunch of nonsense. Hopefully, that step won't be necessary.

I'm taking this from the Celebrity forum. It makes sense. This could be much ado about nothing.

To me, it appears that it has nothing to do with honoring price drops like they currently do, but they are giving you 48 hours from booking so that if you find a lower rate (like at one of the travel websites), they will give you 110% of the difference in OBC. Basically saying that Celebrity should have the lowest prices, not the "other guys". It's no different than what some of the hotels currently do. Ex: Holiday Inn.

I don't see where it says it won't honor price drops later. Is it possible people are reading too far into this?

Hi Host Andy

Just talked to them again. Everything the same before final pay't. After final pay't - say someone books 6 weeks from sailing, they have 48 hrs to get the price lowered if they find it better somewhere else. If after 48 hours they find a price drop, they can still get an upgrade but no OBC.

Clear as mud:D

Another poster mentioned that it may be necessary to cancel and rebook, which would be quite silly, create many unhappy guests, and will keep their reservation agents and TA's busy with a bunch of nonsense. Hopefully, that step won't be necessary.

Andy

And that option is not available in Europe as our deposits are non-refundable.

Sue

Andy

And that option is not available in Europe as our deposits are non-refundable.

Sue

Hi Sue !

Excellent point. I was aware of that, but forgot when I posted. Clearly, the cancel and rebook option wouldnt work for Non-US guests. Hopefully, this new program is not what most folks think it is. If I hear more, I will post it on this thread. Stay Tuned !

Archived