Why did you cruise the first time?

My husband took several cruises with his parents as a teen and young adult. When we got married, he tried many times to get me on a ship - it just didn't sound like fun to me.

For his 40th birthday, I surprised him with a cruise. The BIG surprise, however, was how much I loved cruising... it's been a little over three years and I've now cruised ten times. Hubby is tired of cruising and says he created a monster. ;)

My kids, however, are as obsessed as I am. I am adamant that they will be platinum on Carnival before they graduate high school. :D

I saw a cruise brochure at a travel agent our company used (sometime in the 90's, back when TA's were typically used to book flights)...that placed the idea in the back of my head. I was single at the time - didn't take seriously the idea of a cruise as a single guy. Had wanted to do something different for a vacation several years ago, so I decided to price out a cruise. Was pleasantly surprised that it really was affordable when compared to flying to and staying at a decent resort on an island. Now we've only taken two "regular" vacations since the first cruise in 2005 - both to places we've visited on cruises.

My BF and I's first official "vacation" was to Missouri to see his grandparents and mom.. It was a nice visit.. but they didn't realize this was an actually vacation for us and had nothing planned. BF told me to pick the next vacation and I went all out..7 day western caribbean cruise :D

I had just gone through a hard time and needed to get away to do some self care! Didn't want to do my normal thing of back packing so I thought I'd try a cruise cause I thought a resort would be boring while the cruise had the best things of resorts but also different ports to keep it interesting.

Well, I went and had the best sleep of me life, like for the first two days of the cruise! Been on three other cruises and realise that we all deserve to be pampered ever once and awhile! Just got back to work after a period of unemployment and starting to save for my next cruise!

Cruises are a perfect for celebrations or as a way to take a break from problems or challenges in the real world!

I don't remember why I cruises the first time.

It was with my ex husband on the SS Norway around 1986.

Funny thing is I read in the local newspaper about 10 years ago his son (from 1st marriage) got married on the SS Norway, kind of weird:cool:

There are so many ships out there, even at that time to pick the same ship me and his father had cruised on:confused::confused::confused: I think it was kind of old by than.

I lived in Miami for a little over 4 years before I took my first cruise. My sister and her in-laws have cruised several times from VA, but growing up in Ohio we never took family vacations. I'm the youngest of 5 kids...we went to Kings Island when I was 3 and then a memorable drive to FL right before my other sister had a bone marrow transplant (I was in high school). We always got to go on our school trips, and in college I flew for the first time to a conference for a group which I was involved with.

I always thought crusing was expensive. But never looked into them since after moving to Miami I had several health problems and most of my vacation leave from work was spent in the hospital or recovering at home. Then in 2008 some friends from high school were planning a cruise out of Miami, one mentioned to my Mom (back in Ohio) that they needed a 4th person so my mom told them to contact me. The cruise was $174 for 4 -days..I realized that was cheaper than 1 night in a Miami hotel. I was also forever spoiled by that great rate...lol.

Dh and I had been going on vacation to very hot destinations, such as Las Vegas, Memphis(in August), and Charleston, SC. He made the statement he wanted to go somewhere cooler for our next getaway. I booked an Alaskan cruise for us. Been hooked on cruising ever since!:)

My hairdresser suggested cruising to me, and when you're sitting in a chair next to someone with scissors in her hand, you tend to pay attention!!:D She's always so proud now when I go in there telling everyone about my last cruise or the one I have planned (there's always one in "the hopper"). I publicly blame her for my and my family's addiction now!!

Went on my first cruise with my ocean loving mom on the Carnival Carnivale, we all fell in love with cruising (pre-Love boat) and went on 2 more after that.

Dry spell, then met my husband who was getting ready to go on his first cruise - I knew then he was a man after my own heart; together have been on 10 cruises, number 12 for him, 14 for me in July on the Freedom:)

Love this thread I had save some money and decided I wanted to go on vaction so I booked a cruise at 23 and single . back then carnival would set you up with someone your same age and sex to share a cabin with.. lol however they thought I was a guy... my roomate was a 60 yr man.. did not go over well with me . went to the prusers desk and told them the situation and was moved to a ov instead of a inside all to my self. Dinner was a treat though. went to meet my table mates.. guess what all single guys 23-30 needless to say i never had to pay for a drink at dinner. Had a blast been hook now for 18 years . finally got my DH to come on one and he is as hook as me . we try to go on one a year. this year I have 2 .. a cruise to nowhere. and then again in dec on the miracle...

My husband wanted to take an Alaska cruise for our honeymoon last year because some of his friends that cruise a couple times a year were going. We are 30 and had never cruised before. We've never flown either. I said I'd either cruise or fly, but not both. So, we flew to an AI in Jamaica instead. He kept begging me to go on a cruise and I kept saying I was afraid to. Finally, he got a good deal for a 7-day cruise last week on the Legend and he talked me into it. I came up with every excuse in the book not to go, but I'm so glad I finally went! We drove to Tampa and then cruised. After about the first day, I was hooked! Now, I really want to take our 3 kids, so I'm thinking I want to do that next summer! Too bad we don't have the money, or we'd do it this summer!!

Our first cruise was for our 25th wedding anniversary. We LOVED it....so I wouldn't suggest waiting that long before you go on a cruise! Personally, I think it is the most relaxing vacation I've ever taken. No worries and they spoil you! Start planning one now!!

Almost of of my husbands family at been to Hawaii and so I wanted to go. They all had spent a week on just one of the islands. I thought it would be more fun to see them all so checked into cruising. DH did not want to go and just knew he would hate it. It took him a year to admit that he enjoyed it so I immediately booked another one. We have been cruising 2-3 times a year ever since.

I don't really remember why I first cruised other than I was right out of college. My friends wanted to go away, and this was something that none of us had done before. After my first cruise I waited about 2 1/2 years to cruise again. That was way too long so I started cruising 2 times per year. This year I am cruising three times! Once I go, I just want to go more and more. I got off Imagination on Monday. I have a cruise booked for July and August, and I am already worried about when I will be able to go again.

Last year my cousins, all siblings, booked a cruise. The cousin closest to my age whom I grew up with called and asked if I wanted to go. I had no interest in cruising and said 'no thanks'.

A month before they sailed I visited them in their city for an unrelated family event. I had already forgotten they were going on a cruise, but was reminded, as it was all they could talk about during that visit.

Then one of the cousins took me aside and said I should go and keep it a secret from the others, especially the one I am closest to. I said no again, but she kept working on me after I went home. Within a week I had agreed.

It was only 3 weeks before the cruise at this point! But there was a room available, so I booked. I immediately started researching cruising online - and found Cruise Critic!

The day of the cruise I rode to the terminal with the cousin who had convinced me to go, to meet up with the other cousins. We were at one end of the portico and she spotted the others at the other end. She told me to turn around and wave. I did and my favorite cousin at the other end of the portico said to her husband (she told me later) "Who is that crazy woman in yellow waving madly at us?" Then she recognized me and we started running towards each other. I kid you not! There we were, two fluffy women, 50 years old, running toward each other in the Carnival portico! We met in the middle and hugged and laughed and she was so surprised! It was AWESOME! It was actually one of my favorite moments of the whole trip. :D

Archived