Formal: black suit and colored shirt?

So my husband will take a black suit for his formal nights - we have 3 on our upcoming cruise - he wants to know if he has to wear a white shirt each time, or can he wear a non-white shirt (not dirty, just colored!). He's asking about blue, burgundy, grey.....and then what colour tie would be appropriate. He says he doesn't look as good in a white shirt as he does in dark colored shirts.....this from a guy whose side of the closet is almost completely black. Any suggestions for shirt/tie combos that would be acceptable for formal night?

So my husband will take a black suit for his formal nights - we have 3 on our upcoming cruise - he wants to know if he has to wear a white shirt each time, or can he wear a non-white shirt (not dirty, just colored!). ?

Are you asking like.... is there a dress code with the ship?? Absolutely not- he can wear any color shirt he wants. I like the idea of matching. I had bf get all black with a silver tie for my one dress then the other dress he's wearing blue or grey with another matching tie. So he's wearing NO white.

My DH takes a black and a dark gray suit on our cruises. Since we have 4 formal nights (2 each week) on our B2B, he takes 4 different shirt/tie combinations. My favorites are: Red shirt/Black and Red Tie, White shirt/Black Tie, Tan shirt/Black, gold, brown, and tan tie (it sounds odd, but looks amazing, the guy at the suit shop put it together for us), and with his gray suit, light blue shirt/silver and blue tie.

So my husband will take a black suit for his formal nights - we have 3 on our upcoming cruise - he wants to know if he has to wear a white shirt each time, or can he wear a non-white shirt (not dirty, just colored!). He's asking about blue, burgundy, grey.....and then what colour tie would be appropriate. He says he doesn't look as good in a white shirt as he does in dark colored shirts.....this from a guy whose side of the closet is almost completely black. Any suggestions for shirt/tie combos that would be acceptable for formal night?

That's perfectly fine. My husband and I match his tie to my dress often, and he wears a color-coordinated shirt instead of just white or black. He's worn a deep purple shirt with a purple paisley tie (light and dark shades of purple in the tie), as an example. Have fun with color and enjoy your cruise :)

Thanks everyone - he'll love the black suit, black shirt, silver tie combo for sure (even though it does make him look slightly menacing...in a good way). I just wanted to check in and see what others had done - so much information on women's wear, but not so much on the guys.

Archived