When should I hire a travel agent?

Because Crystal only sells cruises through travel agents I know I need one to book it. I was wondering, however, when I need to start talking to AAA about the cruise itinerary. Should I rely on my travel agent to help me choose a cruise itinerary? Or just read a lot of books and websites about possible destinations to figure out what I want, then hire a TA just to book it and buy plane tickets?

You don't 'hire' a travel agent...You aren't paying them, the cruise line is in form of commission, a percentage of the fare. AAA does lots of things, as well as sell vacations. But they are not the only game in town. If you have time, look in the Yellow Pages for travel agencies, stop by and talk with them, see what brochures they have. If they don't have any Crystal brochures, you don't want to use them. Ask what cruise lines they book most often. I booked my first few cruises with AAA, because it was who was advertising the first cruise I wanted. But I followed my TA from AAA to another agency, and I am really happy there.

As far as itinerary, you have decided on Crystal, so get their brochure and see what they are offering. They are not going to customize it for you...it is what it is. Find a cruise that goes when you want to go, to some of the places on your list. A cruise is not like a land vacation to Europe, where you tell the TA what cities you want to visit, and they arrange the itinerary to your specifications. EM

Because Crystal only sells cruises through travel agents I know I need one to book it. I was wondering, however, when I need to start talking to AAA about the cruise itinerary. Should I rely on my travel agent to help me choose a cruise itinerary? Or just read a lot of books and websites about possible destinations to figure out what I want, then hire a TA just to book it and buy plane tickets?

Actually you could book your cruise directly with the cruise line but very few people do that.

We are not allowed to mention specific agencies on this board.

I would find a travel agent who is associated with one of the major travel consortiums who can provide some additional amentiies such as pre paid tipping and possibly some additional on board credit. Also find an agent who is familar with luxury lines such as Crystal.

Keith

Archived