White Pass Summit Scenic Railway-Timing

tcv cruiser

I was hoping that someone who has done this shore excursion in Skagway could give us some advice. We could take the train that leaves at 12:30 or 4:30. We are leaning towards 4:30 so we can spend the earlier part of the day doing different things but wonder if the light is lower at that time of day and whether this affects the scenery in a positive or negative way. We also thought the train might be less crowded at this time of day. Has anyone done this exursion at 4:30? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!:)

We'll be on the June 12 departure from Vancouver - Zuiderdam. Thanks for the information! Our itinerary has us in most ports until quite late so we assumed the days would be long. Thanks for confirming.

If you are going on the 4:30 and are going to be about the town, I would book it directly at the WP&YR station. That way you save money and secondly you can watch the weather, if it is raining or the mountains are obscured by cloud then you may want to think twice about going up. But in mid June you will have tons of light.

How likely is it to sell out? The railway's website says to book through the cruise line to ensure space and implies the trip is very popular and sells out. Is this just a marketing ploy in your opinion?

On Celebrity last week the price for the train only up and back was $117 with the cruiseline and $110 at the train station so if that is the pricing on your cruise book through the cruiseline. We took a bus up and returned by train and it was specticular for $145pp and it was well worth the money. I think that this option is only through the cruise ship. Skagway is small so we took the morning excursion and were home by noon and had plenty of time to do the town justice

Ontario Cruiser

There is always some risk of it selling out but ordinarily it is not a problem, they have lots of capacity and they set aside some cars for walk-ups. They have contracts with the cruise lines that they don't want to mess with by encouraging people to book directly. But they also have people who arrive by car and by the Alaska State Ferry system that they want to cater too. Also remember there is less people going to Alaska this year and you are somewhat flexible about the time you want to take the trip.

. We took a bus up and returned by train and it was specticular for $145pp and it was well worth the money. I think that this option is only through the cruise ship.

Nope, there are independent tours doing a rail/bus combo.

Thanks for all the great information everyone. I know we'd love the train journey if the weather is decent because we both love trains and great scenery. The history of the area is also very interesting so we'd like to see where it all happened.

I'm wondering if we'll find the roundtrip a waste, however? What are the pros and cons of the roundtrip train vs. rail bus combo?

I'm wondering if we'll find the roundtrip a waste, however? What are the pros and cons of the roundtrip train vs. rail bus combo?

I happen to like the rtn train trip because of the history and the fact that I have a history with the railway going back to 1963 and later in the 70's. That said the combo trip will give you different scenery.

Thanks for the information, Putterdude, and others. I think we'll book directly through the railway on the day. The price difference is negligible but it allows us the flexibility to choose our time at the last minute and opt out if the weather is poor. Having said that, short of them cancelling the trip for weather reasons, I really can't see us not going. Even if we can't see all the scenery, I wouldn't want to miss the train journey.

At what point is it really not worth going? Can the weather be poor in Skagway but clear at the Summit?

Thanks. That is exactly why we were planning on the late train - less crowded. We also thought it would be a nice way to finish the day. Incidentally, in the thread that you have linked to your signature, someone mentions paying extra for the "special car" at 4:30. I noticed that an option called "Summit Club" is offered but only at 4:30. Other than the glass a champagne and plaque, which we don't care at all, do you know anything about this option?

Archived