Machu Picchu-Latest Information About Visiting

j2ink

Apparently, PeruRail decided to keep the temporary schedule through June 30, probably because every ticket would have needed to be reissued for the period June 25-30.

In any event, we took a taxi to Piscacucho on June 28, and it was quite an experience. A few miles into the one-lane trip, we ran into a Peruvian standoff with long lines of traffic trying to go both ways. It was finally resolved, and we arrived at the Piscacucho loading platform without any further incident. There was a light rain falling, and the scene reminded me of something out of a movie. The tops of the mountains were shrouded in clouds, and the trains waiting below had an eerie appearance. After waiting on the platform, we needed to walk down-hill to the train, which was about 150 meters away. The train cars were very nice, and the trip to MP was scenic, but uneventful.

When we arrived in MP, the rain was continuing to fall. Instead of going though the main entrance, we proceeded directly to the guard tower area, which was about a 15 minute hike up hill. When we reached the top, the rain had nearly stopped, but the clouds were hanging low around the mountain tops. Fortunately, when we reached the top, most of MP was visible, and the view was stunning. No matter how many photos you have seen of MP, nothing can prepare you for the real thing. The weather cleared as the day progressed, and we had a wonderful time and got some really great photos.

So when might we see some of these great photo's? :) We got our travel docs today, we leave in 23 days. I am so excited...I just can't seem to stop smiling !!!!! :):).

Looking forward to reading your report (and xcountry's) when you return.

M

Will be leaving in a few weeks for Peru & the Galapagos:D. Will be sure to give you a report on our return! Thanks for all your help (and greatam's and h2so4 and Jeep61!) with planning and the travel tips! Just hope we don't run into any "strikes" when we are there!

Will be leaving in a few weeks for Peru & the Galapagos:D. Will be sure to give you a report on our return! Thanks for all your help (and greatam's and h2so4 and Jeep61!) with planning and the travel tips! Just hope we don't run into any "strikes" when we are there!

Bon voyage, xcountry!

I'm jealous, would love to be back in Peru. I'll be checking for your trip report.

... looking forward to reading all about your impressions. Like marazul, I'd love to go back to Peru ... and I will someday. But until then, I relive our trip vicariously through the reports of others.

Archived