If you've flown into Long Beach...

TortieGal

Will be sailing Splendor in October (second time) and am debating if we should fly into Long Beach. My only concern is that we would be flying in the day of the cruise (we're in Phoenix) and with only 2 departures before sailing, I worry what would happen if our flight got canceled for whatever reason. We would book the first flight of the day so worse case scenario, we could even hop in the car and drive.

Other thought was to fly into LAX with its more flight options and then out of Long Beach. I just remember what a nightmare LAX was on a Sunday afternoon. This sailing is with my Mom and unless she gets her knee replacement before we sail, she does have some mobility issues.

Thoughts?

TIA!!

If you have not booked your flight yet I would highly recommed flying in the day before your cruise. If that is not possible try flying in the night before your cruise. There is just too much risk when you fly in the day of your cruise.

If you have to fly in that day then pick the first flight of the day. If you want more choice fly to LAX. But even with more choice if your flight is cancelled the other flights could be full but selecting an airline/airport with more back up choices wil only help and not hurt.

Keith

Also look into John Wayne/Orange County (SNA). They have a lot more airlines and flights than LGB, but of course not nearly as many as LAX. However SNA is easy and quick to get through the terminal, so it's a happy medium between LGB and LAX. Fares to SNA vary all over the map compared to other airports.

Can you mom go up and down stairs? Long Beach doesn't have jetways--they pull up the old style stairs for you to enter/exit the plane. Then it is a shorter walk to get luggage and to a cab--but there are the stairs to deal with.

Generally, I wouldn't think you would have an issue--but taking the last flight out and spending the night may be a stress reliever.

FYI re stairs: Having just flown jetBlue last week (got $20 roundtrip to NYC!), the LGB airport seems to be using more ramps than stairs nowadays. When I worked at LGB in 2002-2004, I recall stairs on larger planes (jetBlue) and ramps on smaller (America West). So, you may have stairs or a ramp. If stairs, persons in wheelchairs typically get a ride on a forklift-type device. Looking forward to new terminal building at LGB - in 2013?

FYI re stairs: Having just flown jetBlue last week (got $20 roundtrip to NYC!), the LGB airport seems to be using more ramps than stairs nowadays. When I worked at LGB in 2002-2004, I recall stairs on larger planes (jetBlue) and ramps on smaller (America West). So, you may have stairs or a ramp. If stairs, persons in wheelchairs typically get a ride on a forklift-type device. Looking forward to new terminal building at LGB - in 2013?

How did you get a $20 round trip on JetBlue? Let us all know the secret.

The plane from Phoenix would be the smaller jet, so perhaps a ramp. It's been a few years since I have flown LGB/PHX, but I think it still had the stairs.

LGB has been promising a new terminal for forever--I read in the local paper that they were getting ready to break ground soon--but I think I have read that before.

Just read this morning that Allegiant Air will be flying on flight a day from Bellingham/LGB/Bellingham a day soon.

jetBlue had a 1 day sale on Mon 5/10 for all their empty seats on Tue & Wed (5/11-12) for $10 (+fees) one way. Have a friend in NYC so booked first flight on Tue and last on Wed for $41.40 total. Weather in NYC was cold and rainy. Had not been to NYC since 1967. Subway and AirTrain to JFK is excellent.

jetBlue had a 1 day sale on Mon 5/10 for all their empty seats on Tue & Wed (5/11-12) for $10 (+fees) one way. Have a friend in NYC so booked first flight on Tue and last on Wed for $41.40 total. Weather in NYC was cold and rainy. Had not been to NYC since 1967. Subway and AirTrain to JFK is excellent.

thanks for the info. guess I need to be on the JetBlue email list.

We had our first flight on Jet Blue 4/22/10, very nice airline, lots of room in the seats and lots of leg room. We would fly Jet Blue again. We always fly into Long Beach airport. Jet Blue had the stairs on our flight.

Thanks for everyone's answers! We were looking to save on the hotel and the extra expense of meals and just fly in on the first flight of the day. That still would give us time to hop in the car, if anything were to happen. However, looks like the Hilton is available for $94 so we just might do that.

Mom can do stairs...just slowly. We'll figure it out eventually! :)

I would really recommend LAX or SNA in your situation. US Airways uses regional jets from PHX into LGB; the other two airports are Airbus aircraft that use jetways. SNA has 3 daily nonstops on US Airways, 3 on Southwest, and 2 connecting flights on Delta that arrive in time to make it to port if the earliest flight has a problem.

Tortiegal, my hubby and I had flown into LGB and it was wonderful. It was soooooo much faster getting our luggage etc. It was also closer to the port than LAX.

Just to let you know we had orginally had a hold on a room at the Hilton for $145 but after reading C/C someone placed a bid on one and got the Hilton for $54. We did the same (and we really wanted the Hilton) and got the $54.00 room rate. There are I think 3 *** hotels and Westin is one of them. I thought the Hilton was a very nice hotel. I know there is a risk for which hotel you get but you will at least get a decent hotel. Give it a shot. :D

Tortiegal, my hubby and I had flown into LGB and it was wonderful. It was soooooo much faster getting our luggage etc. It was also closer to the port than LAX.

Just to let you know we had orginally had a hold on a room at the Hilton for $145 but after reading C/C someone placed a bid on one and got the Hilton for $54. We did the same (and we really wanted the Hilton) and got the $54.00 room rate. There are I think 3 *** hotels and Westin is one of them. I thought the Hilton was a very nice hotel. I know there is a risk for which hotel you get but you will at least get a decent hotel. Give it a shot. :D

With the Carnival Corp. rate, the Hilton is $94 and it includes parking. My mom just accepted an offer on her place in NY and will probably be moving out here sooner rather than later. Now driving could be an option. I went and reserved that just in case.

Choices, choices. :)

The bidding route was another one I had thought of going but I always worry that we'll only be able to get one bed. My friend and I lucked out on our last cruise where the hotel was able to give us double beds but..let's just say my mom is quite the powerful snorer. I have to have my own bed. :o

FYI re stairs: Having just flown jetBlue last week (got $20 roundtrip to NYC!)

Wasn't that a great sale?! I saw it mentioned on JetBlue's Facebook page and had my husband booked on a flight from LGB-Vegas within minutes - $10 each way (which, with taxes, turned into $41.40 total round-trip)!

Archived