Art Auction Snafu

AFT_LOVER

On Crown 4/24-5/1 we attended art auctions for free champagne & they poured it very well. The Art Director Jim introduced 5 new artists that they have their work. One stuck right out to me & he announces the opening price is $8.50, so up my hand went with 5 others. Then 2 more prices up to $15 & I won one & chose the Cirque du Soleil themed piece. Then a guy showed with a clipboard for me to fill in my name address, phone number & cabin #. And he leaves the painting next to me. Yet the bill states $15 for piece, $2.25 commission & $20 shipping = total $37.25; so I visit the gal at the computer asking why I am being charged shipping when we have the picture. She freaks that it is to be on stage for the next auction. So she comes to get it & tells us we will have it in 3 days from our return home 2 day Fedex from FL. The I win a piece & I have to pay $20 shipping to get it.

On May 6 we get a Fed Ex delivery of a triangular long box. Cut it open & just 1 piece of art in it. The one that I won! It was not framed as the Art Director keeps annoucing that "Princess is the only cruise line to frame artwork for free." So I phoned, was transferred to the Art Dept & they tell me that only framed pieces get a free frame. I state he never stated that, just all pieces. Then I ask where my 2nd piece is. They state only 1 piece on that invoice. I tell them I was billed $40 shipping for 2 pieces and only got one not 2 boxes. I give her the title for the painting, the 4/29 date that I purchased it for $37.25.

They call me back the next day to tell me that they cannot find my painting. I told them that no SOLD sign was on it when I bought it, and I do not have it. So I told them to cancel it. 4 days later I get a call from Princess accounting telling me that I received a delivery of art on 5/6, so I cannot cancel it. I told them I got artwork but not the one I bought. I won a drawing that evening and that is the one I got. So they call me back stating July will be the earliest I will see a refund sinc they need to know what ship has it. I stated they billed me before I got off the ship for it, they do not deliver it & now cannot find a SOLD piece, and I have to wait 2 months for a refund? They say YES.

So I called VISA to charge them back. They made the call, got the same story, and the credit went right thru in 3 hours. So we went to Lowes & bought crown molding to build a frame, then dark lavender mat 34x24" to keep the painting safe from the glass. My painting is next to the one I won on NCL.

So be careful at these auctions. We both agreed that if we didn't drive to the port, we will not buy artwork.

On Crown 4/24-5/1 we attended art auctions for free champagne & they poured it very well. The Art Director Jim introduced 5 new artists that they have their work. One stuck right out to me & he announces the opening price is $8.50, so up my hand went with 5 others. Then 2 more prices up to $15 & I won one & chose the Cirque du Soleil themed piece. Then a guy showed with a clipboard for me to fill in my name address, phone number & cabin #. And he leaves the painting next to me. Yet the bill states $15 for piece, $2.25 commission & $20 shipping = total $37.25; so I visit the gal at the computer asking why I am being charged shipping when we have the picture. She freaks that it is to be on stage for the next auction. So she comes to get it & tells us we will have it in 3 days from our return home 2 day Fedex from FL. The I win a piece & I have to pay $20 shipping to get it.

On May 6 we get a Fed Ex delivery of a triangular long box. Cut it open & just 1 piece of art in it. The one that I won! It was not framed as the Art Director keeps annoucing that "Princess is the only cruise line to frame artwork for free." So I phoned, was transferred to the Art Dept & they tell me that only framed pieces get a free frame. I state he never stated that, just all pieces. Then I ask where my 2nd piece is. They state only 1 piece on that invoice. I tell them I was billed $40 shipping for 2 pieces and only got one not 2 boxes. I give her the title for the painting, the 4/29 date that I purchased it for $37.25.

They call me back the next day to tell me that they cannot find my painting. I told them that no SOLD sign was on it when I bought it, and I do not have it. So I told them to cancel it. 4 days later I get a call from Princess accounting telling me that I received a delivery of art on 5/6, so I cannot cancel it. I told them I got artwork but not the one I bought. I won a drawing that evening and that is the one I got. So they call me back stating July will be the earliest I will see a refund sinc they need to know what ship has it. I stated they billed me before I got off the ship for it, they do not deliver it & now cannot find a SOLD piece, and I have to wait 2 months for a refund? They say YES.

So I called VISA to charge them back. They made the call, got the same story, and the credit went right thru in 3 hours. So we went to Lowes & bought crown molding to build a frame, then dark lavender mat 34x24" to keep the painting safe from the glass. My painting is next to the one I won on NCL.

So be careful at these auctions. We both agreed that if we didn't drive to the port, we will not buy artwork.

Sorry to read about all your art problems! We bought 1 painting on a Princess ship (a Godard), and it arrived without any problems, so I guess we were lucky! :)

It is always buyer beware and the BBB has lots of complaints filed.

Don't be so quick to speak out of turn.

A check on the So Florida BBB shows two listings -

> Princess Global Fine Arts

> Global Fine Arts

Princess Global Fine Arts has NO complaints and Global Fine Arts has 2 resolved (Agreeing to perform according to their contract) complaints.

there have been numerous similar stories about problems with the art auctions not only with Princess but all cruise lines. It is always buyer beware and the BBB has lots of complaints filed.
The numerous stories are almost always with Park West who is not the supplier for Princess. Please read them and quote them carefully.

Princess has always provided excellent service for us, including a refund for one artwork.

With regards to the original post, the auctioneer usually starts by reading from a script stating the art is as shown - if it is framed, the cost includes the frame, if shown on a posterboard, the art is unframed print only. Seeing as most art is framed, one normally gets the frame in the price. The art offered as prizes is seldom framed.

I find the OPs story about what they were told at the auction a little bit hard to believe. I have been to many of the Princess art auctions (and bought many pieces of art). At every one, the auctioneer makes it very clear that the pieces that are shown framed include the frames--while the others do not. They have always stated that they have a framing session (where you can choose/purchase from a limited selection of frames, for a very reasonable price) for any unframed pieces at the end of the cruise. They also quote the shipping charges, which vary for unframed/large framed/small framed pieces.

Hard to believe that the auctioneer left out this entire speech. Unless the OP missed/didn't pay attention to that part of the auction, can't imagine why he would expect to receive a framed piece (with no chance to see/choose the framing) for a total price of $15 (plus the additional 15%) and a shipping charge of only $20.

Clearly the OP was not aware of what he was purchasing. Since this is an isolated incident, it seems less likely that the misunderstanding is the fault of the auctioneer (that does this all the time) rather than the buyer (who does not appear to have attended/paid attention to past art auctions).

So when we cruise, I usually go to the art auction for the free champagne... not that tasty, but free... I always bid on the first piece that they bring up. It's always just a print with no frame, but no one bids on it and I usually pick it up for $5 or $10 dollars + shipping. I have quite a nice little collection of very nice prints that I frame for a few bucks. No problem... we've won a couple of prints too.. they look nice in the hallway and stairways...

I won a "painting" on a cruise and it cost me $20 to ship it home. The way they ended up sending it I could have carried it home with me for nothing. It looked like a cheap print that hundreds are made of. It cost a lot to frame it. The "real" art I bought arrived at my house with no problem. They can keep the champagne as it's pretty bad. I hate having to pay the premium plus shipping.

That is the ridiculous part of it. I get the print I won but not the one I bought. I phone them and they tell me that Crown did not have my painting. I told them it was given to me, but I was paying for shipping, so the computer gal takes it back yelling at the guy who gave it to me. No SOLD sign on it as it is put back on stage. Last morning I have the bill for $60.50 for 2 painting with $20 shipping each, $15 purchase price on one & $5.50 commssion. I have paperwork of the sale & the tube shows 3 days after we return home but no one knows where the other one is. So I cancelled it, since I got a deal at Lowes framing with crown molding, glass & mat. And I wanted to do both since next month it will be gone. I am not paying $210 for a frame from them.

I just got a call from the Manager that he has the "Final Adjustable" ballerinas in his office. Shellac he added for beauty, so we went & got it. But his smile left, so I told him we will get it tomorrow & he can enjoy the evening with it & the smile was there. It is beautiful for under $100. And it will accompany "Annabella" nicely in the living room.

I have the $37.50 credit on my VISA. So everything worked out terrific.

Sorry to read about all your art problems! We bought 1 painting on a Princess ship (a Godard), and it arrived without any problems, so I guess we were lucky! :)

Archived