Getting from Naples to Sorrento on our own

sae019

We will be in Naples on our November cruise and would like to have a more relaxing day here rather than do the typical Capri, Pompeii, etc. stops.

Is Sorrento worth seeing? If so, what is the best way to get there from the ship? If you have a step by step with prices, that would be awesome.

The least expensive methods are bus and the local train (Circumvesuviana). The train leaves from the Porta Nolana station on Via Guiseppe Garibaldi.

There is also a SITA bus from Porta Immacolatella; the cost is either the same or nearly the same, but it takes longer. I can't seem to make the link work from here (I'm away from home at the moment), but the SITA web site is here: www.sitabus.it.

We took the ferry which is on the same pier that the cruise ship is docked at. I think it was 11€ for the 35 min trip. Just exit the ship terminal and turn left. We took the train back. It took 1 hour 15 min. for aboout 4€.

It takes the longest by train which can be crowded and standing room only, but it is really inexpensive. You can walk off the ship and on the left towards the street, there is a little newspaper shop/bar that will sell you a tram ticket (to take to the train station) and train ticket combo. The tram runs on the main street.

The hydrofoil is very easy and doesn't take long at all but it a bit more expensive. I think they quoted travel time is close to 50 minutes, but it only took 40, but was more than 15 minutes late arriving at the pier. So don't cut it too close to All-Aboard.

• 1 month later...

You can walk off the ship and on the left towards the street, there is a little newspaper shop/bar that will sell you a tram ticket (to take to the train station) and train ticket combo. The tram runs on the main street.

I thank everyone for their detailed information. Where exactly do I get Tram I? Does it run on Corso Umberto I or Via F. Acton/Via Cristoforo Colombo into Via Nuova Marina? Do I pick it up at Piazza Municipio? I can find Stazione Marittima, Molo Veberello and Molo Immacolatella Vecchia on some good maps and on google maps. Tram information on the net is very confusing, practically non existent, for Naples.

It runs right down the middle of the street in front of the cruise port, Via Cristoforo Colombo. The route is here, on the Naples public transit web site: http://www.anm.it/Upload/RES/PDF/LINEE/1_2010.pdf

Eurocruiser:

Thanks for the quick response. As soon as I posted my query, I found Cynthia's detailed directions to get to Sorrento from the port in Naples.

She states to get your ticket stamped. Who does the stamping? Is there an automatic machine or does the driver do it? Sorry for being so dense.

But I'm excited to do it on my own for the day with dbf. Tram it to Circumvesuviana, train it to Pompeii, do Pompeii for 3-4 hrs. (I'm going to make reservations at House of Menander and Terme for Nov. 11). This is my 3rd time in Pompeii and I can guide my dbf. Train it back to Naples-Circumvesuviana Stazione, walk to Stazione Centrale, find the metro, ride to Piazza Cavour, sneak in a slice of pizza, spend several hours at NAMM (I don't care if some exhibits are still closed, although I read they are due to open in fall 2010), then meander back to the ship, maybe checking out some excavations. And of course I want to see the outside of Castelnuovo and Teatro S. Carlo. Starwhite2

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise on the Jade this past week. In Naples we took a chance on a taxi driver at the port (Giovanni through the Napoli Taxi company. His e-mail is giovannirotondotaxi@libero.it) who offered to take our group of 5 for 40 euros/person on an all-day tour to Mt. Vesuvius, Sorrento & wherever else we wanted to go. Said he would stop in Pompeii or Herculaneum if we wanted. It turned out to be an excellent choice! We got to Vesuvius just before they opened for tours--& ahead of all the buses. He waited while we climbed to the top & did our tour. Then on the way to Sorrento he stopped at several spots for great photos & answered all our questions, etc. We chose not to go to Pompeii as we wanted to do Sorrento instead. He waited there while we shopped & had lunch. We loved Sorrento & wished we'd had more time to spend there. Giovanni then took us on a quick tour of Naples & knew exactly which shops to take us to for specific items we were looking for (wine, olive oil, soccer jersey, etc.). He was so entertaining & informative, & we were able to do so much more than we would have on our own. We would highly recommend him for a tour of the area.

I lived in Italy over 15 years ago, so can't tell you about travel.

Sorrento, I spent at least 3 hrs going through all the shops and came home with several handmade- inlaid wooden jewerly boxes, photo albums, even a tea cart and wall photo. They also sell beautiful cameos, ivory and blue and I think I even picked up a tapestry for framing of the Last Supper.

I loved Sorrento it was one of the best cities I visted in 3 years there for shopping. Florence for jewerly.(gold)

• 3 weeks later...
We took the ferry which is on the same pier that the cruise ship is docked at. I think it was 11€ for the 35 min trip. Just exit the ship terminal and turn left. We took the train back. It took 1 hour 15 min. for aboout 4€.

I looked at the ferry schedule from Naples to Sorrento. It looks like the ferry departs Naples 8:25am. Is that correct, did you take that one. Why did you take the train back instead of another ferry?

Archived