Has anyone used Thrifty for one way POM to FLL?

AULaw

I booked a one way-car on the Thrifty website for POM to FLL, we plan to get off the ship, hang out in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for a while before our (late) flight leaves. My question is this: Although I have a confirmed reservation with pickup at the POM and drop off at FLL, the fine print "terms and conditions" says that for pickup at the port, "Must return VEH to Miami Airport (MIA), Hialeah/Miami Lakes or to Aventura/n.Miami location." So, has anyone actually done this route, and were there any issues returning the car at FLL? So far I can't seem to get through to anyone at Thrifty that knows anything...

Thanks in Advance

I booked a one way-car on the Thrifty website for POM to FLL, we plan to get off the ship, hang out in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for a while before our (late) flight leaves. My question is this: Although I have a confirmed reservation with pickup at the POM and drop off at FLL, the fine print "terms and conditions" says that for pickup at the port, "Must return VEH to Miami Airport (MIA), Hialeah/Miami Lakes or to Aventura/n.Miami location." So, has anyone actually done this route, and were there any issues returning the car at FLL? So far I can't seem to get through to anyone at Thrifty that knows anything...

Thanks in Advance

No, but why don't you call Thrifty and ask them?

I've used Alamo several times picking up at FLL and dropping at POM/MIA or the reverse, but not Thrifty.

I've done it the other way around FLL to POM and there's no problem. I've have seen for no rhyme or reason there are times when they charge $10 for dropping it off at a different location within Florida. That's why I switched to using Dollar Rental in Florida, no dropoff fee. Also, Enter promo code "KISSE" and see if that doesn't get you an excellent rate.

In Jan we did just this same thing. We took Alamo shuttle to car pick-up. Drove to South Beach to sightsee. Even drove thru thos little islands you see while the ship is docked in Miami. Very spectacular properties. The guard at gate said," Stay on the road and IN the car." Then we drove all the way up the coastal road to FLL. Had lunch in Fll and then to the airport to drop the car. Was a fun day for us 6 gals.

I think Thrifty has about the same proceedure.

As an update, this worked out great. We got out off the ship at the POM and walked right into a shuttle bus for the Thrifty/Dollar rental. I was behind the wheel of the car within 35-45 minutes after clearing customs. We walked around South Beach for an hour or so, and then headed up 95 to the Mid-Beach area of Ft. Lauderdale, had a great lunch overlooking the beach, and spent a couple of hours looking around the shops on the beach and on Las Olas Blvd. From there it was about a 10 minute drive to the airport. The total cost was $43 for the rental (we used the Orlando Magiccard discount code - thanks to CC for that hookup!), and about 3 bucks worth of gas. Since we had a 6pm flight, it was almost as if we had extended the vacation for an extra day, I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Thank you so much for the info on Thrifty- Never really have I seen it written that there is a shuttle and it is so easy to rent from them. I just booked a car and am now excited to explore the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area on my own after my cruise. Much better option than spending the day "trapped" at a hotel. Thanks again!!

I just got off the phone with Dollar Rent a Car.

Looking to "maybe" rent from FLL to Miami Airport in April.

Got a price for one way 24 hrs. just under $50.00.

No oneway drop off fee.

They also have a promotion about $20.00 free gas. I did not ask about it.

They have a free shuttle from the drop off place at the Miami airport to the POM.

DH says he does not want to do any driving so we will get a hotel in downtown Miami and take the SAS shuttle from FLL to the hotel and get a cab ($10.00 or so) in the morning to the port.

Archived