room r301 handicap room

rakrak

We just discovered we have a handicap room on the riveria deck does anybody know if this room is alot different than a regular veranda room. We are not handicapped and don't know what a handicap room means. thanks for any info

We just discovered we have a handicap room on the riveria deck does anybody know if this room is alot different than a regular veranda room. We are not handicapped and don't know what a handicap room means. thanks for any info

wow - we tried to get one and were told we couldnt unless a wheelchair was involved which it is not. I do know the bathrooms are bigger thats for sure. I think the whole room is bit bigger now that I t hink of it.

Enjoy....

you dont need a wheel chair to have this type room, but you should mention a medical issue of some sort, sometimes, dr notes arent asked for, just ask not to be bounced out of it if you get it, my sister tore ligaments in her knee area so the rails help her in the shower and bathroom area itself,so she doesnt fall,and has something to hang on to;same for my mom whos had hip replacement surgeryin the past, sometimes the drawback is a flying shower curtain and not always an area for bath items, we bring clothes pins to put in the corners of the shower curtain to keep it from flying around and sometimes you need a towel around the shower area so water doesnt fly out too bad ..the rooms are always larger but not sure how they compare to verandas or suites, call princess for the footage...

Hmm, our TA said you needed a wheelchair...so much for his line of nonsense....thanks

I believe most cruise lines ask for some type of documentation because there are so few of them that an able bodied person booking them stops a disabled person from cruising. If Princess allocates it to you then it wasn't required so nobody is left out, it doesn't matter. Your TA was basically correct he just generalized Princess with the other Cruise lines. I don't think you have to have a wheelchair but a disability or a real requirement for the room.

Anthony

We have to have one as DW has MS and has either a walker or a wheelchair. The cabins are about 50% bigger then the normal cabin so that a wheelchair can manoeuvre in the cabin. There are grab rails throughout the bathroom which DW particularly needs for balance. They have an emergency cord in the bathroom and the closet has either a pull down clothes bar or an intermediate one. We find because of scooter and wheelchair use the cabins do get marked up a bit more than non h/c cabins. There is a ramp going into the bathroom and another on either side of balcony door. The cabins in that 300 to 302 range are adjacent elevator lobbies so you will get a little more noise than in others. Princess does not require a doctors note but Celebrity did a few years ago.

I have been assigned a HC cabin on diamond Princess for Alaska on May 29. I questioned my TA when I discovered it is HC, because I don't need it...I just wanted an inside cabin (cruising solo). She said they know I don't need it, but thinks I got it because I am on a B2B with the following week, and it was the only cabin available for both weeks. And I only booked three weeks ago...EM

I have had to start using an accessible cabin a few years ago as my post-polio increased in severity. The other noticeable difference is the flat entrance to the shower. This is great for me as steps are my biggest problem. However be ready for a really wet cabin especially if you have rough seas. There is a drain around the flat shower area but it doesn't always catch all the water. Be careful if that happens as it increases the slip and fall risk. I do think these cabins should be kept for those who NEED then until after final payment. I will never be upgraded because I NEED a cabin to fit my scooter and with no steps. On Princess there is usually not the big open closet/dressing room like the standard rooms.

different medical situations can justify it, we ve been on 3 diff cruise lines none refusing a request for one ever,...Holland America had us fill some form out, that was it we always deal direct w/ the cruise line. not a TA,..weve asked if theyd like a dr note which isnt a probablem, all said no

thank you all for your comments. the ship is the Emarld our first time on this ship. While we do not require a wheelchair. We are not young and our mobility is very slow. I don't know how we got this room but I did tell my ta that she should notify princess in case someone requires a wheelchair access room. we would change our room our cruise is about a month away and we haven't heard anything. Thank you all for your comments.

thank you all for your comments. the ship is the Emarld our first time on this ship. While we do not require a wheelchair. We are not young and our mobility is very slow. I don't know how we got this room but I did tell my ta that she should notify princess in case someone requires a wheelchair access room. we would change our room our cruise is about a month away and we haven't heard anything. Thank you all for your comments.

We were assigned a handicapped accessible cabin once - and I was concerned about it as we did not need h/a. When I called Princess, the agent said that if someone needed it, we would be bumped to another cabin. We ended up getting a moveover offer - don't know if it was because they needed h/a cabin, but the reason given was that the cruise was over-booked.

DonT' think of it as a bigger room. IT is bigger so a wheelchair can go in it. Wheelchairs can't go through normal doorways on a ship. The problem is that some people think of it as a "deal" when they have an handicapped room.

We have to booked close to 2 years in advanced just to make sure we get a wheelchair accessible room. And I think that the cruise line are to blame for that. Anyone who ask for a wheelchair room can get one. They won'T ask you if you have a condition. Because of this, some unconsiderate people will systematically ask for one when they don't even have a wheelchair or scooter. THere are fewer than 30 cabins accessible, so .....

What also sucks: I can'T get a cruise with a last minute deal... no chance of getting a wheelchair room!

Anyway, just something to think about.

• 2 years later...

I think they often allocate the HC cabins after final payment if no one has reserved them specifically. I have never read on here where anyone given this cabin but doesn't need it has actually been asked to move.

Have a great cruise whatever cabin you are in.

Archived