Panama canal on Star or Pearl?

cjbx

Which would be the better option for a Panama Canal cruise, the new 12th deck owner's suites on the Star, which appear to be just above the bridge or the owners suites on the Pearl which appear to be toward the middle of the ship.

Is the view from the Pearl's suites obstructed by deck space in front of them?

In general terms, which is the better ship overall?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Which would be the better option for a Panama Canal cruise, the new 12th deck owner's suites on the Star, which appear to be just above the bridge or the owners suites on the Pearl which appear to be toward the middle of the ship.

Is the view from the Pearl's suites obstructed by deck space in front of them?

In general terms, which is the better ship overall?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Here's a photo from the forward balcony on one of the Pearls owners suites (taken a couple weeks back as we departed from Vancouver). There is also a side balcony for this particular OS

100_2624.jpg.e7430b727a3aae777c5b042e3bb4d3d6.jpg

DH and I did the Panama Canal last month on the Pearl in the AA Owner's Suite. After that fairy tale cruise (see my review at: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66582 ) we would not consider going through the Canal in any other cabin. With a balcony forward and one to the side you can see just about everything. From deck 10 we had almost the exact same view as from the bridge. We talked to a couple who had the Deluxe Owner's Suite on that cruise (Deck 15 midships) and they said they wished they'd had the owner's suite for view and a more protected balcony.

The OS cabin is larger than the DOS (Deck 10 OS cabin interior is larger than Deck 9's). You can see my pictures at: http://lindgrenphotos.shutterfly.com/pearlownerssuites (Password: Tillie)

As far as the new suites on the Star, I think they don't have any balcony at all.

Canal2.JPG.caefc8e532fc8f8c2053df9446cfa1e8.JPG

Canal1.JPG.e350808d47b407f4c06741532e93a978.JPG

We were in an AFT AE on the Star last year (Nov) for our Panama Canal Cruise, know this is not one of your options but for anyone else, this was the best location, we were able to see so much of the closing of the gates and the "mules" pulling the ship and the workers. WE were "topside" at first in the morning but discovered our location was much better, we kept the TV on and viewed the front view and took in the back view up and close personally. Just one opinion (mine)

A lot of people would say the Pearl is a better option, because there is more inside viewing space. But personally, it wouldn't matter to me because I would want to spend my canal sailing on the deck, not looking at it through a window. But if I had to pick, I would go Pearl since I've been on the Star and now will soon be for the second time, but I've never been on a Jewel class ship.

Archived