Looking for suggestions... Miami departure, FLL airport, hotel, car rental?

peisahm

Trying to figure out our pre-cruise plans for Oct 10, 2010. We are sailing out of Miami. We are going to fly in to either Miami or Fort Lauderdale on Oct 8th around noon time, spend the 9th at the Miami Metrozoo with our two teens, then head to the port the morning of the 10th).

Apparently this weekend in October is the Miami Carnival! Does anyone have experience getting to the POM during this Festival?

Flights to FLL are a little cheaper generally but we are hoping a seat sale will come up in the next month or so.

Would our best solution be to stay in FLL or Miami (we want a 'nice' place)and do you think it would be best to rent a car or is there easy, relatively cheap transportation to hotels, zoo, then port?

It was hard enough choosing the cruise, now this, YIKES!!!

With your family group and plans to visit the zoo I suggest that renting a car is your best option. Be careful when searching for a hotel as almost every hotel in Miami and many in Fort Lauderdale will charge for parking - $29/day the last time I was in Miami.:eek: Both Hertz and Avis have downtown Miami locations near POM - rent one-way from either FLL or MIA.

If you get a better deal from another car company or it is cheaper to drop at the airport then you need transport. A mini-van taxi from MIA to POM should handle all 4 of you including bags for under $30 with tip. From FLL many suggest SAS (www.ridesas.com) for shuttle service - typically $15 per person each way.

Good luck!:)

With your family group and plans to visit the zoo I suggest that renting a car is your best option. Be careful when searching for a hotel as almost every hotel in Miami and many in Fort Lauderdale will charge for parking - $29/day the last time I was in Miami.:eek: Both Hertz and Avis have downtown Miami locations near POM - rent one-way from either FLL or MIA.

If you get a better deal from another car company or it is cheaper to drop at the airport then you need transport. A mini-van taxi from MIA to POM should handle all 4 of you including bags for under $30 with tip. From FLL many suggest SAS (www.ridesas.com) for shuttle service - typically $15 per person each way.

Yikes, that's pretty expensive parking! I'll look for a hotel with reasonable parking; where I am from all the hotels offer free parking :)

Thanks for your input

Unless you want to stay near the MIA airport (many suggest hotels inthe Blue Lagoon area) it will be hard to avoid paying for parking in Miami. Not sure about the zoo, but the drive from FLL area hotels to downtown Miami usually takes 40 or so minutes. Good luck!:)

John,

Not trying to flame you but what you said simpy isn't true. There are plenty of hotels in both Miami and Ft Lauderdale that don't charge for parking.

He can rent from Alamo at FLL and drop the car at the MIA/POM location and take the free shuttle to POM.

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites-FLL South and the one at the MIA airport. Both properties have free parking, full breakfast, evening social, airport shuttle and most important of all...their suites have TWO BATHROOMS.

Music City,

I agree that if you want to stay out near MIA you can find hotels with free parking - along with many (but not all) hotels in Fort Lauderdale. You will not find free parking in downtown Miami or Miami Beach. The hotels you suggested might be good options since the OP is travelling with two teens,:eek: but there are more attractive and fun places to stay for two days than near the MIA airport.;)

I have not used them recently, but recall reading on these boards that Alamo has dropped their free shuttle to POM.

Music City,

I have not used them recently, but recall reading on these boards that Alamo has dropped their free shuttle to POM.

No, that's not true.

Apparently Thrifty Car Rental employees read this board and put out some bad information. ;)

No, that's not true.

Apparently Thrifty Car Rental employees read this board and put out some bad information. ;)

I'm shocked, shocked that someone would stoop that low.:rolleyes:

John,

Not trying to flame you but what you said simpy isn't true. There are plenty of hotels in both Miami and Ft Lauderdale that don't charge for parking.

He can rent from Alamo at FLL and drop the car at the MIA/POM location and take the free shuttle to POM.

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites-FLL South and the one at the MIA airport. Both properties have free parking, full breakfast, evening social, airport shuttle and most important of all...their suites have TWO BATHROOMS.

is there a list anywhere of 'free parking' hotels in Miami and/or Ft Lauderdale?

Music City,

I agree that if you want to stay out near MIA you can find hotels with free parking - along with many (but not all) hotels in Fort Lauderdale. You will not find free parking in downtown Miami or Miami Beach. The hotels you suggested might be good options since the OP is travelling with two teens,:eek: but there are more attractive and fun places to stay for two days than near the MIA airport.;)

Why would these hotels be good options because of teens? Are there places we should stay away from because we have teen with us?

Archived