Atmospheric Restaurant Times Square - Greek or Italian

Hello All,

Hope you can help......

My first time in New York (this November) and I will be spending 2 nights near Times Square prior to my cruise with my neice who is 22. I would like to take her to a not too expensive restaurant one evening preferably Greek or Italian which has good food coupled with a bit of entertainment.

The entertainment and quality of food is more important than the type of food.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Jennie

Hello All,

Hope you can help......

My first time in New York (this November) and I will be spending 2 nights near Times Square prior to my cruise with my neice who is 22. I would like to take her to a not too expensive restaurant one evening preferably Greek or Italian which has good food coupled with a bit of entertainment.

The entertainment and quality of food is more important than the type of food.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Jennie

Jennie,

If you are looking for a good Italian restaurant with a nice atmosphere you will not find it in the Times Square area. Most other places this area are chain restaurants that lack personality or any distinct charm.

Many people enjoy Carmine's on west 44th Street just off Broadway. It is a New York City institution, but, will be loud and crammed with tourists. The food is quite good and comes in very large portions.

We are rather fond of a restaurant called Angus McIndoe on 44th Street off of Broadway. It's American fare, but, very tasty and reasonably priced. Like all restaurants in this area you will need to get there early around 6 pm to beat the pre-theater rush.

If you want an excellent Italian restaurant I highly recommend Vivolo's

on the East Side on 74th Street between Lexington and Park. You can easily get a cab or bus cross town. Perhaps visit the Metropolitan Museum on 81rst and 5th in the early afternoon and walk down to Vivolo's for dinner. If you get there early around 5:30 pm you will catch the pre-fix which will give you a first class meal at a very affordable price. This restaurant has a very loyal following, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

There are not any restaurants with entertainment included, at least not any decent restaurants. Perhaps you might might want to head over to one of the many cabaret performances on the west side in the theater district.

Enjoy your visit to New York City and you voyage on the glorious QM2.

Jonathan

PLease don't laugh - When i went to NY for business we ate at Ellen's Stardust Dinner - I think it was at 51st and Broadway. The wait staff sing - some were quite good. The food was classic American diner (I remember the meatloaf and the pot pie). The pies for dessert were also good. It was a lot of fun the times we ate there. My memory is the prices were reasonable by NY standards. They may have a web site.

If you like Turkish try Dervish on W45th Street (their food is delish) I go off on the side streets and find something. If you get hungry on the way to dinner you can try honey roasted nuts, shish kabob, hot dog or pretzel from a street vendor.

Times Square has the themed restaurants as well one to stay away from Brooklyn Diner is overpriced and food is awful. NYC can cater to any food craving you like. You can try Lindy's- awesome cheesecake. Also in Times Square be prepared to wait 25-30 minutes 45-1 hour for a table at the popular "big name" restaurants. Like I said too many restaurants to name check the side streets- smaller mom & pop ones, I sometimes find the food is way better and reasonably priced than "big names".

Alrana

Thank you all for your prompt replies xx

vavasmom

Great minds think alike .....I had already decided to take Sophie (my neice) to Ellen Stardust Diner as it looks a fun place for her (and I'm sure me) to go on one of the two evenings we will be in New York. I've looked on You-Tube and some of the clips on there were very entertaining and the wait staff seem quite talented, I'm sure she (and I ) will love it........ xx

Alrana Eris & Cruiser King

Thank you both so much for all the information you have provided me xx. Choices, choices, choices I knew I should have booked to stay in New York for longer!!!. I did think about it and costed it out but there was a good deal to be had for an upgrade for me from an inside to a balcony and the balcony won.

I'm so glad that I dont have to decide right now as I really would not know whether to eat at Vivolo's or Dervish, both prehaps;)

Anyway, once again thank you for your kind words of wisdom and assistance. I'm sure both Sophie and I will love NY and our trip on the QM2, I cannot wait until November.

Jennie xx

You could also head down to Little Italy for dinner or dessert (definitely Ferarras Pastry) one night! Chinatown is right next to Little Italy--so you could experience both!

Love the Beach

Thank You for that, more choices :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: xxxxxx

Jennie xx

If you want authentic Greek food, take the N train from Times Square, which takes you to Astoria, Queens, more Greek restaurants than you can shake a stick at. It will take less than 20 minutes to get to, plus you can see the real NYC :)

A Greek fellow at my gym always talks about Stamatis as being very good.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&gl=us&resnum=1&ie=UTF-8&q=greek+restaurants+astoria&fb=1&gl=us&hq=greek+restaurants&hnear=astoria&view=t

• 1 year later...

Have to disagree with one poster that said there weren't any great Italian restaurants in Times Square. One of our favorites is Osteria Al Doge, located at 142 West 44th between Broadway and 6th Avenue. Fantastic food! But it's simply a great place to eat; no entertainment, however.

Incidentally, just off Times Square is Restaurant Row (46th Street). Walk north of Times Square and make a left on 46th and just stroll along between 8th and 9th Avenues. LOTS of great places to eat along that block on both sides.

What I would recommend (if you wanted to stay in that area), is to find a great restaurant like above, and make plans to go somewhere else for entertainment. There's a really fun piano bar/cabaret in the area, also on 46th Street, called Don't Tell Mama's. Great singers, fantastic piano players, and they even encourage folks in the audience to come up and sing. In fact, a number of people from Broadway are known to swing by and throw a tune.

ETA: D'OH!!! Just realized the OP already cruised! LOL!

ETA: D'OH!!! Just realized the OP already cruised! LOL!

RickinNYC,

Doesn't matter. I'm glad you posted. I will be coming in September and staying in Times Square and very much appreciate the information. I will make good use of it!

Archived