Best guide book for Athens, Mykonos, Santorini?

skiiergirl

I know there are many out there....but what do you feel is the best guide book for Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini? I read a lot on the port boards and learn alot and plan alot from what I read there but I still like to actually get a printed guide book to review also. So what would you recommend I read?

Thanks.

I agree with Rick Steves (his guidebooks are my first choice if they are available for the destinations that we travel to).

His Athens book wasn't out yet on our two visits to Athens, but luckily he had a very in-depth preview on line which gave us a lot of the content that was going to be in the book for the sites that we wanted to visit. On our last trip, I enhanced it with DK Eyewitness Top 10 Athens guidebook.

For Mykonnos and Santorini, I didn't take a guide book; just researched on line. The following was one of the most helpful sites to me for those two port days:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santorini/1647010001.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/mykonos/1652010001.html

I know there are many out there....but what do you feel is the best guide book for Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini? I read a lot on the port boards and learn alot and plan alot from what I read there but I still like to actually get a printed guide book to review also. So what would you recommend I read Thanks.

As I noted on your Istanbul/Turkey question, Rick Steves is very good, especially for the larger, major cities. To be honest, there are lots of fine options, BUT, no one source is perfect for every personal need and travel interest. We normally get all of them. Maybe from your local public library or a transfer they can do for you, you could get such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. These resources can help you better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see. I like Eyewitness because of the combination of various pictures, maps and building diagrams, etc. I like to read some, but, for me, a good picture is worth a thousand words.

BUILDING COMPUTER FILE: I will also "build a file" on my laptop for each of the cruise travel stop. This will include pulling up past articles from the travel sections of such key newspapers as the New York Times, the London papers, Wikipedia, other searches, Cruise Critic comments and suggestions, etc. Then flying over or before each port stop, I can review those various notes and ideas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Rick Steves is to me the most "Real World"

Thanks so much. I love his Italy books. I thought he only did Italy. Will give his others a try.

I agree with Rick Steves (his guidebooks are my first choice if they are available for the destinations that we travel to).

His Athens book wasn't out yet on our two visits to Athens, but luckily he had a very in-depth preview on line which gave us a lot of the content that was going to be in the book for the sites that we wanted to visit. On our last trip, I enhanced it with DK Eyewitness Top 10 Athens guidebook.

For Mykonnos and Santorini, I didn't take a guide book; just researched on line. The following was one of the most helpful sites to me for those two port days:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santorini/1647010001.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/mykonos/1652010001.html

Thanks so much!

As I noted on your Istanbul/Turkey question, Rick Steves is very good, especially for the larger, major cities. To be honest, there are lots of fine options, BUT, no one source is perfect for every personal need and travel interest. We normally get all of them. Maybe from your local public library or a transfer they can do for you, you could get such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. These resources can help you better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see. I like Eyewitness because of the combination of various pictures, maps and building diagrams, etc. I like to read some, but, for me, a good picture is worth a thousand words.

BUILDING COMPUTER FILE: I will also "build a file" on my laptop for each of the cruise travel stop. This will include pulling up past articles from the travel sections of such key newspapers as the New York Times, the London papers, Wikipedia, other searches, Cruise Critic comments and suggestions, etc. Then flying over or before each port stop, I can review those various notes and ideas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks...I do all sorts of computer research and as I said earlier I read the port boards faitfully to learn all I can. I understand guidebooks aren't "one size fits all" but I just wanted folks' opinion of which books they like. That way I can research and decide upon one to buy to review and incorporate into my file. I do a computer file as well as a "hardcopy" 3 ring binder to take. Unfortunately, I do not have time to visit the library. Therefore I research and decide on one (or two) guidebook(s) to buy and then supplement with tons of online research.

Thanks again to everyone!

Please keep the suggetions coming. Tell me which books you like best...pros and cons to each. Etc. Thanks so much.

Archived