Pubs open in London on Christmas Day??

bazzaw

We will have time in London over Xmas between our Oriana and Arcadia cruises (staying with son on Isle of Dogs).

I have been starting to think about what we could do on Christmas Day - perhaps a lunch or dinner somewhere - now I have come to understand that there is NO public transport on Xmas Day, which would tend to stop us in our (not yet planned ) tracks, and limit us to walking distances.

What about local pubs?? Do any open at some time of the day in London?? Would any serve lunch?

Thanks for any advice

Barry

We will have time in London over Xmas between our Oriana and Arcadia cruises (staying with son on Isle of Dogs).

I have been starting to think about what we could do on Christmas Day - perhaps a lunch or dinner somewhere - now I have come to understand that there is NO public transport on Xmas Day, which would tend to stop us in our (not yet planned ) tracks, and limit us to walking distances.

What about local pubs?? Do any open at some time of the day in London?? Would any serve lunch?

Thanks for any advice

Barry

Can't speak for the Isle of Dogs specifically, but UK in general, many pubs will not be open in the evening on christmas day, some will open at lunch time for maybe 2 hours. Pubs with restaurants which do christmas lunches will need to be booked well in advance. As your son lives there, I would contact him to make the arrangements.

If any local pub is open and serves food then you will definitely need to make a reservation. Reservations for Christmas Day lunch are booked up months ahead where we live, let alone London.

By tradition English pubs open for lunch on Christmas day but do not do so in the evening. When pub hours were regulated this would have meant 12:00 - 14:00 and lunch would not be served. Since deregulation the picture is more variable although as a rule much the same situation applies.

Do be aware though that any pub offering Christmas day lunch will almost certainly be doing a formal meal and not a traditional ‘pub lunch’. This will certainly require a reservation.

Archived