Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2010 - all lines...

franski

Hi Everyone:

We will be traveling Dec. 8th from Nuremberg on Uniworld's River Countess after spending 3 days in Rome followed by 3 days in Prague.

We booked this so long ago it hasn't quite hit me yet. Maybe all of you can get me in the spirit! We also have our son's wedding taking place in Santa Fe NM, two weeks after we return home...that event popped up after we booked this trip! Should be an exciting December.

Hi condocat, Sounds like we will be joining you on the River Countess Dec. 8! Really looking forward to it. We are coming in via Frankfurt then train to Nuremberg to meet the ship.

Time to refresh our supply of Christmas items from Europe, the old ones are getting a bit worn.

Anyone else out there on this sailing?

A question for anyone who has started a river cruise from Nuremberg. We are arriving in Nuremberg a day early by train (from Frankfurt) and staying in a hotel very near the main train station.

Is there any problem getting a taxi to the "port" to board the ship. We are on Uniworld's River Countess.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Kyra & Mark

A question for anyone who has started a river cruise from Nuremberg. We are arriving in Nuremberg a day early by train (from Frankfurt) and staying in a hotel very near the main train station.

Is there any problem getting a taxi to the "port" to board the ship. We are on Uniworld's River Countess.

Kyra & Mark

Just call the CD that morning to check where the boat is docked as this is not always the same place. The CD will give you an address that you can give to the driver. It was a ten minute taxi drive for us from the station to the boat.

They are little figures fashioned with dried plums for the arms and legs. I have been reading about them as I prepare for our first river cruise. We leave on December 18 on the Viking Legend for the Winter Holiday 10 day Christmas Market cruise. I am beside myself with anticipation. Can't wait. This will be our first time away from home for Christmas ( 4 grown, married kids, 8 granchildren and 1 great grand) willhave to fend for themselves and we will celebrate when we get back. Anyone been on this cruise?

We will be on the Legend starting in Nurenburg and going to Vienna. This will be our first river cruise and first winter holiday so the suggestions here have been very helpful. Coming from Arizona it is so hard to think of cold winter weather and what to pack.

We live in Florida so I completely understand.

We have visited the Christmas markets a half dozen times, mostly land trips by train, and last year did a short river cruise for the markets.

The key is layers so you can put on and peel off as needed. We flew in Thanksgiving Day (on all of our trips for the markets to take advantage of the extra time off from work) and stayed anywhere from 10 -14 nights.

My Uggs are the best footwear investment I have made for these trips and my husband bought himself a pair for our upcoming trip. They keep my (sockless) feet warm and dry and I put arch supports in for extra support and cushioning. I also pack a pair of dressier black leather boots for evenings.

I have been putting together my mental list for this upcoming trip as every trip I make some adjustments based on the previous. I will pack several camisoles and wear a half zip every day over them for the outdoors. A mid thigh jacket or full length coat with a hood (my jacket is a Marmot and I have a down coat that I wear on the plane) is my outerwear. For daytime I wear either cords or knit pants (black) that I tuck into my boots. For nighttime, I wear a nice pair of slacks or dress jeans and a nice top.

My husband packs golf type pants in black and charcoal and turtlenecks to use as a base layer, then adds a pullover sweater or vest for warmth. He is bringing a trench with zip out lining and packing a down jacket. We discovered space bags last year so the coats go in the bag and crush down to nothing and then pop right back when we open them. Since down is so light, this does not add weight and now our bulk problem is solved.

We pack small umbrellas and an extra pair of gloves each in case one gets wet. We have always had some rain on each trip so be prepared.

I also throw in a couple of sets of workout clothes for the gym and some light weight gym shoes.

All of that fits in a 24 inch spinner and weighs in at about 33 pounds so I can handle on the trains. We have also done several trips with carry on only which is a little more challenging but makes land trips so much easier.

8 weeks and counting!

We will be on the Legend starting in Nurenburg and going to Vienna. This will be our first river cruise and first winter holiday so the suggestions here have been very helpful. Coming from Arizona it is so hard to think of cold winter weather and what to pack.

Hi Folks,

We are warm weather folks too, from the Vegas area, so cold is not our thing either. We did live in northern Europe for a few years a while back and recommend layering as the best idea.

We have found silk long underwear super useful. Its light, packs thin, and really does the job. There is a fair amount of discussion about it earlier in this thread.

We get ours from either Sierra Trading Post, or Campmore (both mail/online ordering discount houses). There is also an outfit called "Winter Silks" which has great selection but is more expensive. (note: dont forget silk liner socks, cold feet are no fun).

We will be sailing the same basic route as you, only a couple days later with Uniworld.

ENJOY!

I have found ebay a great source for winter items.

I purchased a new with tags DKNY down coat for 1.99 plus shipping last year and it is perfect - total cost $25.00.

I purchased Winter Silks for $10 a piece, a great savings.

Also UGGS gloves, retailing for $85 bucks in Macy's, were 40 on ebay, brand new in the box.

If you know your size, you can save a bunch.

Kyra & Mark

It was fun to learn we'll be on the same cruise.

Your question about finding the boat was on my mind recently too. Thanks for getting this resolved. I was beginning to have visions of my husband and I wandering up and down the river taking a tour of ships on our first day!

Mary & Jim

Hello, we are also desert rats, and noticed that there is someone else from Tucson going on the Danube river cruise. We will be going on Tauck, leaving from Vienna, a week after you other Tucsonans depart. Clothing is an issue for us, as well, as there aren't isn't lot of winter clothing in the stores until much later (it is still 100 degrees here), but I found some really good deals on Lands End, when they have discounts, as well as free shipping, and got some great deals on down outerwear. Returns are free, if you take them to Sears.

I had not thought as much about the footwear, though, and appreciate the suggestions! I have not owned a pair of boots for the last 34 years, but will look into some now! And silk sock liners, and glove liners, as well. Thanks also for the idea about bringing the small umbrellas. I just don't know how I can get all of the winter gear and nicer clothing for the boat into a 22 inch case! I'll check out the space bags. I want to make sure to save room for souvenirs!

BTW, does anyone know if we can bring Prune People and German baked goods back into the US?

Tallassie - we are on that cruise 2 weeks ahead of you... Actually leaving 2 months today!!! Yahoo!!!

I agree with caviargirl re:the Lebkuchen in Nuremberg - they are amazing. I brought quite a few of them back with me - no issues getting into Canada (the import rules are almost identical to the US). Also brought mustard from the Wurstkuchl (?sp) in Regensburg...Mmmmm. I think the regulations are for "fresh" fruit and/or vegetables.. (just crossed the border into the US earlier this week...)

Thanks Kyra & Mark for the information. Every bit helps!

I've also discovered on December 9th, the night we will be in Nuremberg, there is a Lantern Procession to the Nuremberg Castle at 6:15 that evening. Sounds like a feastive way to get into the spirit of the market season at night!

Mary

Just booked the Danube Waltz cruise that goes from Budapest to Passau. Have wanted to do a Christmas Market cruise for a while now, and we decided to go for it. Thanks for all the interesting posts and web sites. Starting to get excited.

Karen

Hi Mary (Condocat), and everyone.

Did some more digging on both german and english language sites for the Nuremberg port info. It appears that there is one primary docking area in Nuremberg which is about 3.5 miles south of the main train station. The name I found was "Nuremberg Hafen Ost". I also found a map on an australian travel site. The link is rather long so I will try to be careful to get it right.

http://www.aptouring.com.au/files/documents/17/29019_Nuremberg_2.pdf

Hope that works for folks.

Mark & Kyra:

Good map, thanks! I'll keep it on hand for our driver if he needs it.

Also did more research re: the Lantern Procession on Dec. 9th. It leaves from "Fleischrucke", which I have learned is an historic bridge that crosses the Pegnitz River in the center of Old Town. Looking at your map and comparing it to the one provided in the www.christkindlesmarkt.de , I would estimate this part of town is a good 5-6 miles from the docking location.

Appreciate your info!

Any fellow cruisers out there? This will be my first ever cruise and I am starting to get really excited! Would love to "chat" with others on this cruise in advance. Any tips you experienced cruisers can pass along will be most appreciated :) I am a solo traveller. Anything special I should know?

Archived