Hello - new to this sub forum!!

winniesbestm8

Usually its been hubby and I on cruises, but now we have 2 young children so have moved boards so to speak!!

Anyway, going to skim through the posts, so apologies if I repeat anything.

We want to cruise for a week to two weeks, (maybe a week is best with 2 young children) for my 30th in April 2012.

I quite like the sound of a Southampton to Southampton cruise as I hate flying anyway as its so cramped so will hate it even more with young children.

Anyway my girls will be 4 and 2 and a half by the time we go....which ships should I be looking at which is best for familes, espeically young children?

I want to start researching now really.

Thank you, and look forward to chatting with you all :)

Emma

You'll be limited with the children's activities on some lines, if you have a child under 3...many lines aren't set up for the younger set, and most don't offer swimming to anyone in diapers....

Carnival and Disney will allow under 3's to use the kid's clubs.....RCI won't (unless you're on Oasis).

Carnival and NCL should allow you to leave a child under 3 in the Kids' Clubs. Disney is wonderful for kids of all ages, but they charge for childcare by the hour if your child is under 3. However, the Disney ships are extremely family friendly, and yo will find plenty for your kids to do, even if they are with you. This isn't true so much on other lines, where the activities are geared toward adults, unless you're in the kids' area.

You probably want to start out on a family-oriented line: Princess or Disney are good choices, and you'll probably be fine with Carnival, NCL, RCCL as well. Celebrity is very nice, although I'd recommend that your youngest be 3 before you try them.

Be aware that most quad cabins on cruise ships have an upper bunk (there is an bed rail but it is not very high). You may want to start training your older child how to sleep in a bunk, and the safety issues involved.

Disney has been doing a Baltic Capital's cruise for the last few years which likely wouldn't require any flying for you. It could be a good mix of child oriented activities on the ship for your little ones and more adult oriented land tours for you and your husband. Plus you have the bonus of the splash area for your youngest if she is not potty trained yet. You would have to pay for child care for your 2.5 year old in the nursey and the over all number of hours could be limited if there happened to be a lot of little ones on your sailing.

I have had good experinces on NCL with my daughter because their schedule is so flexible. Their child program starts at age 2 so it would be free for both of your children. The down side is they do not have a splash area for the unpotty trained. Plus I'm not sure if they have a ship out of the southampton area.

I have not taken my daughter on RCL yet but everyone raves about it. Their child program is supposedly good but does not start until the child is age 3. They have in cabin baby sitting for a price but not sure what hours that is available (ie ?in ports on only at night). I think they have a few options out of Southampton (?Independance of the Sea). However, I think the ships out of Europe for RCL right now are not the ones with baby splash areas or nurseries.

Best of luck. Cruising with kids is very different but can still be fun.

I am pretty sure you have my family's favorite ship home ported over there in Southampton -- Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas. So if you get a chance to take that ship -- then it would be FULL of family fun things to do. There is an H20 zone water park, an ice skating rink, rock climbing wall, flow rider surf simulator and a promenade where they have parades inside the ship. :D

My kids LOVE this ship. And the pools are freshwater and HEATED!

Welcome to the family cruise board. :)

Archived