Best?

jerblu

I tried to do a search but couldnt find a thread that said that this or those cruise ships were best for families. I know about Disney, but not much else. What about Celebrity, Princess, HAL, or Royal Caribbean?

Family definition= 2 grandparents, 3 adult children and spouses, 2 grandchildren per adult child. That makes 14.

It really depends on the age of the kids....RCI is a great family line, as is Carnival...but few ships allow diapered kids in the pools....which can put a damper on family fun.

But, for those over 3 and potty-trained, both lines have alot for kids to do, and plenty to keep the adults occupied, as well!

I can't really say that any particular cruise line is the best. There are things I like about each individual line but nothing that makes me go I'll only cruise on X cruise line. On all of the ships I have been on they all had great kids programs. Some have more "stuff" but to me it's about how they take care of my child not the number of Rock Climbing Walls. I will say it just depends on the person and what they expect.

Well, this is a pretty open ended question. You will find lots of info by scaning some threads on this board but I will take a stab at hitting some high points for you. Which is "Best" will be a subjective decision in the end. Also, you don't mention the ages of the grandkids which will play into the decision.

I would consider the following points:

1. Over all "family feel." RCL/Carnival/DCL/NCL are all marketed mainly to families. You might find more activities for the kids on these lines then on Celebrity and HAL. Some of the larger ships for RCL have additional activities that appeal to families (ie rock climbing, surf rider, ice rink).

2. Ages for the kids clubs. The ages accepted into the kids clubs vary by cruise line. Carnival and NCL take 2 years and over. Carnival will change diapers NCL will not (but they will page you to come and change them) RCCL, Celebrity and Disney start at age 3.

3. Other child care options. RCCL/DCL/Carnival all have some child care available for kids under 2(or 3) at extra cost. On RCCL and Celebrity there is in room sitting. On the RCL Oasis there is a nursery. DCL has flounder's nursery and Carnival has some paid group baby sitting times. NCL has no options for kids under 2.

4. Charge for Infants. Children under 2 are "free" on NCL and Disney. They will be charged as full fare on the other lines.

5. Water play options for the non-potty trained. DCL and some RCL ships have splash area for non-potty trained children. On other lines there is not a water play option for the non-potty trained.

Hope this helps some. Please list any more specific questions you might have and enjoy your cruise.

The other thing to keep in mind is the actual ship you want to sail on not necessarily the cruise line. For example Royal Caribbean has the Freedom and now Oasis class that have a lot for kids of all ages while some of the older ships, Majesty, Monarch, etc really don't.

My kids are now older teens but their favorite ship so far is the Freedom of the Seas. It has something for everyone.

Archived