Message in a bottle

I would argue that sending a message to an unknown person in an unknown location at an unknown date in the future is in no way similar to "discarding" an item.

Theron

Good point. Your take on this works for me.

What happens if the cork comes off and an animal gets thier nose or somthing stuck in it and drown. Sadly this happens with the rings off sixpack's of soda and beer cans that are in the rings. It also happens at times with bottles. I love the idea of the concept of the message in the bottle as much as anyone. But I worry about the sea creatures who might find it. Sorry if this is makes me a Adri Downer.

Adri :)

OK I'm an animal lover and all that but !

What happens if the ships anchor hits a small fish or maybe even a dolphin and kills it ?

From the RCI Code of Conduct:

Royal Caribbean International’s Save the Waves Program and Trash/Waste Disposal

Royal Caribbean maintains a Save the Waves Program that focuses on three key principles: Reducing the creation or generation of waste materials; recycling as much as possible; and ensuring proper disposal of remaining waste. Trash should be properly disposed of in containers provided throughout the ship or in wastebaskets provided in each stateroom. Trash or other foreign objects should never be flushed down a toilet and guests are not permitted to discard any item overboard.

Where do they stand on filling the air with tonnes of CO2 whilst sailing and flying guests over for cruises ?

Just wondering like

...pollution patrol was all over me like white on rice. Probably some of the same folks who flick their cig out the window at a traffic light.

It's like I tell my wife: "It's not littering! It's MULCHING!"

- "Mr. Green"

I was probably 7 or 8 when my mom & I were on a salmon fishing trip in far western Washington. I convinced her that I wanted to do the "mesage in a bottle" thing off of the private charter boat the next morning. I carefully crafted my note, and the only empty bottle she could find at the rental house was an empty baby food jar.

The next day when we were way out to sea on the boat, I put my note in the jar and mom tightened the lid and we pitched it over the side. I watched it float for about 3 seconds, fill up with water...and slowly sink into the ocean out of sight. I looked at my mom, and said "I don't think it was supposed to work that way." :D:):D

Like many others, I've tried it. I like the stories about where their message was actually found a long time later. I don't think I would do it off a cruise ship, just because of the prohibition against throwing things off. :)

Archived