MDR Favorites & what to avoid

CanWeGoYet?

This will be our first cruise on HAL We will be doing the 14 Night Alaskan Cruise on Amsterdam,Some one posted the menus from their Oosterdam cruise and may I say I was impressed,Can't wait to try so many things,except the security will have to pull us away from the Alaskan King Crab.

Is the Bread Pudding served in MDR or in the Lido.I didn't see it listed and I really want to try that.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but we were very disappointed in the Alaskan King Crab in the MDR. It was waterlogged and squishy (probably frozen and not fresh), and totally tasteless. However the lobster tails were quite another story - so yummy!

There are some great places to get buckets of King Crab Legs in Ketchikan. They were very reasonable and good, and I don't remember the name of the place we ate at - it was near the Lumberjack show. Check around on the Alaska board and see if anyone has posted about it. If not, ask about it and I am sure that someone will respond.

I was just on Princess and did not think the chilled soups were nearly as good as on HAL. I thought the drinking glasses and straws were ridiculous. Had gazpacho in a tall glass with a straw and the dining steward said not to even try the straw because the gazpacho would not fit through it. The Princess soups seemed more icy vs. creamy (probably healthier but not as tasty). On HAL I have enjoyed green apple, grapefruit, peach mango, strawberry, blueberry, mixed berries - just about any fruits you can think of in chilled soups. I also enjoy the chilled vegetable soups - potato, leek, cucumber, borscht, ginger, pumpkin (and I'm sure there are many other variations I've missed). Can't wait to try them again!

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer!:)

I'm not sure what the signature class ships are, I will be on the Amsterdam. I will have to try to the Asian Station in the Lido, I love Indonesian.
Right now the only Signature class ship is the Eurodam, but the Nieuw Amsterdam will be joining her on July 4th. On those two ships there is/will be the excellent pan-Asian Tamarind restaurant. You should try a Signature ship sometime just for that! :)

Raisin buns at breakfast

Banana bread french toast

Chilled soups - by far the best of any line we have sailed, and a great mix of the usual berry soups and more exotic fruits, like guanabana.

Sorbets

We did not find the bread pudding (too watery and tasteless) or the bami goreng (tasted like bad ramen) to be very good, despite the raves on here. It's all a matter of taste.

There was another thread a few months ago about must have dishes on HAL. I found that one very helpful prior to our first HAL cruise, maybe a search can dig it up?

jtl513 - I may well end up trying a cruise on the Niew Amsterdam or Eurodam now that the cruise bug is a permanent fixture. :) Especially if they have an asian fusion restaurant! Love my roti bread.

Infi - I'll try another search to see if I have better luck finding HAL favorite foods. I did try before starting this thread but came up with nothing, but the search engine on CC seems inconsistent at best.

Archived