Multiple snorkeling spots w/ bus transportation

mysparky

Hope someone can help me out with logistics...

We're an extended family of 11 with kids ranging in age from 8-18 and we're very interested in snorkeling on Grand Cayman. All are very comfortable in the water, but the younger kids have very limited snorkeling experience. We're not interested in taking an organized tour in Grand Cayman, and instead, are thinking about using the bus system to move around to a few snorkel spots.

First stop (I think) would be to Eden Rock (we'll walk) because I want to rent lifejackets for the kids. Based on pictures that I've seen, it looks as though it's a fairly easy entry into the water so it may be a good first snorkeling site. After spending an hour or so there, I was thinking that we'd walk to the bus depot (not sure how far??), catch the bus to hell for the 20 min touristy thing, and then head over to cemetary beach. Ultimately, we'd take the bus back, return our equipment to Eden Rock, and then walk back to the pier.

So a few questions for anyone that has made it this far into my post:o

1) I've seen mixed reviews on Cemetary Beach. I'm interested in it because of proximity to Hell, it seems like easy entry, and I think the beach just sounds pretty cool. But I'm not 100% sure that we should make the trek out there (i.e. will it eat up too much time). If not Cemetary, though, where?

2) We're pretty adventurous and like to walk, take the local bus, etc, but I wonder if the distances and traffic between the areas we're talking about is just too much. Any opinions on the route we're looking at?

3) Would it just be a whole lot easier to rent 2 cars?

4) We're not interested in Rum Point or Stingray City (did tour last time we were in GC), but are wondering if there are any other snorkeling sites that are just "don't miss"? I want to be careful w/ the inexperienced snorkelers in our group and make sure we don't hit anything that's too challenging due to current, entry, etc.

I know....a long question, but I'm hoping someone out there can guide me!!

Thanks!

What you describe should be relatively easy to accomplish, depending on how much time you spend at each spot.

Random thoughts, in no particular order:

- Cemetery Beach is between Hell and the port area, so that's not at all out of your way.

- Eden Rock is about a five minute walk from the port area, maybe a bit more depending on which terminal you arrive at...very easy to get to.

- Eden Rock is pretty deep...You go down a ladder into the water. The main reef there is a pretty hefty swim from shore, so you're going to want flippers, and lifejackets for the weaker swimmers or kids. (My frequent diver DH regretted his lack of flippers, since even he was starting to get a bit tired by the time he got to the reef.)

- Since you're travelling with kids, it's good to know that Eden Rock and Hell have bathrooms (Hell has fairly nice bathrooms, actually :D ) but Cemetery Beach doesn't. No bathrooms or changerooms or other facilities of any kind. It's pretty much just cemetery and beach.

- Food? There's food at Eden Rock (well, the Paradise Restaurant next door) but none of the other locations you've mentioned have food available. What were your lunch plans?

- The public buses aren't huge. With a large group, you might not all be able to get onto one bus if it's busy.

- On the bright side, the buses do run fairly often along that route, and if you get sick of waiting there's always a ton of taxis around that are easy to flag down.

- If you decide to rent a couple of cars, try for one of the two places near the port...Andy's & (I think) Cayman Auto Rentals. The other rental places are out near the airport and would take you a fair bit out of your way. (I don't think the cars are any easier...a taxi or two would be, IMO, a better use of the money in terms of ease of travel.)

- If you do rent, pick up the cars after snorkelling at Eden Rock, on your way to Hell, or send two representatives to get them and then come back to get you. Parking is hard to find sometimes, and you don't want to have to waste time searching instead of snorkelling.

- Another nearby snorkel site that gets mentioned a lot is Cheeseburger Reef, which is also between Hell and the port area. It's next to Burger King, so there's food and bathrooms so that might be a good stop. Not sure what the difficulty level is, though, since I've never snorkelled there myself.

Overall, though, it sounds like a pretty good day to me...

I haven't done what you propose but from what I've seen in GC and done the two times I've been there the only other thoughts that I would also add is:

1) Definately do Eden Rock first, 5 - 10 min walk south of the tender piers. Easy entry at either Paradise Cafe or Eden Rock Dive Center. The swim out to the reef is easy, the first 30 yards or so is in about 3 - 6 ft water, the bouyes where the main reef is about 100 yards off shore, no real current to struggle with. The reef varies about 30 - 50 feet of water. life jackets are mandatory to wear out there, I was told by the dive master at Paradise Cafe that mostly due to visibility as catamarans, boats and subs goto the reef and they need to see you. Nothing to be alarmed about, we had several come to the reef while we were there, never felt in danger once.

2) the traffic in and around downtown georgetown is horrendous. With all of the tourists walking around etc, I would think it is a longer wait in a car to get south of town to eden rock then trying to muddle through the traffic in a rental car, IMHO. I dunno if renting two cars is really worth it, especially the hassle of filling out paperwork, waiting for car(s), driving on wrong side of road etc..

3) There are busses (think more of a 20 passenger van, see attached photo) all the time along the main road leading to "hell", you won't be stranded. The only thing I don't know, is if they will accept american dollars for a fare. Dollars are taken/accepted at most touristy places but bus fares I dont know though.

4) Travelling with a group will slow you down, I just went with a group of 10 to include 5 kids. I was the main planner for the trip, nothing goes as fast as smooth as you think, give yourself extra time for every stop. For example, renting equipment for 11 people and have them fit test, try things on, secure valuables etc will take time at eden rock, so you say spend an hour there, half of that will be getting ready to snorkle and to fully appreciate eden rock you need about 45 min to an hour in the water, if I were you I would plan on being there 1.5 hours, just my $.02.

Bottom line, GC is very safe, very tourist friendly and doing what you propose is very doable, just allow some time and don't over plan thinking you will fit it all in, remember you are there to relax. You may find that half your group will snorkle for 10 min at Cemetary beach then just play in the sand while the others snorkle etc...

IMG_2640.jpg.27399c740b274ee42910499fb2fdbd67.jpg

If you decide not to go to Hell or Cemetary Beach after Eden Rock you can walk about 15 min. in the opposite direction and snorkle at the Wreck of the Cali. It is at Divers Down and well marked. A lot of excursions go there. It is an easier swim out to the wreck than at the reef at Eden Rock. Burger King and Cheeseburger Reef is another 5 min. walk. We had a great day of snorkeling in March on our own. After we went shopping.

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the valuable input. Learned a lot from the comments including add'l places to visit, the reminder about lunch places, and the fact that parking could be tough.

Such a problem to have so many options, right?:D

Archived