Cozumel - Dophlin Swim

radtech

We did the dolphin swim in cozumel a month ago. It wasnt a bad tour but it seemed to be more of a photo op then a swim. We took the royal swim the best part was when the dolphins pushed your feet with their snouts i guess they are called. We did it in freeport a few years ago and that tour was 100% better but they didnt let the dolphins push you they said it is bad for them, we dont know who was right about that one. Anyway in cozumel we just stood on a dock until it was our turn to go for a ride with them then we swam out and got back on dock when we were done. Once everyone did that we got in the water and made a circle and the dolphins swam around us for a few minutes that was it. Where in freeport we spent alot more time interacting witht them doing hand signals and what not.

My two DD's did the swim in Jan 05. They booked thru Carnival. They both agreed that it was the absolute best shore excursion they had ever had. They bought the photos as well as taking pictures with their disposable camera. The commercial photos were very good. They didn't buy the video, so I can't comment about it. FYI, they are 22 and 26, and have been on 4 and 3 cruises.

Glad to hear they had a great time. I was hoping it wasn't too crowded. In the Bahamas, my friends and I did a stingray excursion, and had to take a boat to the island, the boat was wwaayy too crowded. Not to say I didnt enjoy the stingray experience, but being that crowded just didnt suit me.

I also booked through Cozumelinsider on the web, and did both the dolphin encounter as well as the sea lion encounter. To be honest, the dolphin encounter was fun and something I had been wanting to do for a while, but was pretty crowded and we only got to get a kiss and hold the dolphins fins for a few photo ops. We also petted the dolphin as it swam by. The sea lion was only my wife and I and two young ladies. We just had a blast with the seal lion, doing tricks and such. I bought that video ($29.95 US for video, $14 for the picture)

It started with Nena, the sea lions name, coming out to greet us with her typical sea lion barks. She swam around some for us, then came out and gave us each a sea lion kiss, which is rather itchy because of her whiskers. Nice picture though. Then we got into the icy cold pool, and me and my wife held our arms out as Nena jumped over them. Nena did this twice. Then Nena came up as we held our hands out in front of us and we held her in our arms as she allowed us to get a nice picture. The trainer also did a few tricks with Nena as we all laughed until we cried. The video was hilarious. Trust me, you will love it.:cool: It lasted around 30 minutes or so, but it went by real fast and there were only four of us.

Thanks everybody for the recommendations for the Dophlin Swim.

jcrandle - can you please tell me how much it was by doing it with Carnival and how lon did it last?

Can anybody tell me what the difference was with the Royal Swim or the Swim Adventure? I see the price is different but the cheaper one sounds better. But I could be wrong. :cool: :confused:

Radtech

I did the Royal Dolphin swim 2 months ago in Cozumel...It had been a life long dream, and it truly was a dream come true! wonderful! I cannot say enough about the amazing experience!

I booked with www.dolphindiscovery.com before I left for the cruise. It was $125.00. Onboard Carnival I believe it was $160.

I def.advise doing it independently..you can go/leave when you want etc..its in a huge park with a nice beach, restaurant etc, so you can relax and take your time.. Don't forget to get a disposable waterproof camera for $7 its worth every cent! You can buy a video...thats worth it for the great memories...I think it was $45...wonderful!

I'm going back in June and am gonna do it again!

We booked the swim directly through Dolphin Discovery. We didn't do the Royal Swim, we did the next priced swim down on the list. Great time! Lots of touching and swimming with the dolphin and each of us was pulled back to the platform while the dolphin was on his back. We probably won't do it again, but we have pictures and memories to last.

We just booked the dolphin swim with Dolphin Discovery.... I went to Discovery Cove here in Orlando a few years ago and LOVED it - I wanted my husband to see what it's like so here we go again, I can't wait. We decided against the enounter and bringing our two year old as we go to seaworld quite often and pet the dolphins there.

If you do decide to book - call the 800 number they have - I have been dealing with Abby and she is just as nice as they come!

Kristina

hi workinmomof3 - We will be cruising on the Glory 7/16/05 so it looks like you will be notifying us first on the Dophlin Swim. Now it looks like my daughter and her friend what to do the sea lion and dophlin swim, well hey they are 19 they can pay for it themselves. :D :p

Thanks everybody else for your input on this. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone - just wanted to let everyone know that for two weeks I have been going around in circles trying to book the Royal Swim and the Snorkel/Swim adventure for a total of 8 people, everybody was telling me they were booked for that date I was requesting which is 7/20/05 for the Carnival Glory the only one that acommated me was cozumelinsider their names are Sherri and Jacqueline and they helped us so much and made my daughter and her friend very happy. She really worked miracles because we were able to get the 10:00am Royal Swim and the Swim Adventure for the 11:00am. I recommeded them highly. ;) :)

When they are asking the time to be 10:00am island time what time for the trip will that be, does anyone know. Would appreciate an answer. Thanks. We want to be completed by 12:00pm at the park and then go on to PB and since the Glory leaves at 4:30pm I was not sure if that is island time or ship time? HELP!!!!!!!! :confused:

Radtech

thanks for all the information everyone. my cousin and sister were wanting to do this while we are in cozumel :)

*OFF TOPIC*

rad tech - do you work in x-ray in charlotte? my best friend lives there and works at presbyterian. she has been begging me to move up there and live with her. i grad xray school in a few weeks. whats the job market like?

It started with Nena, the sea lions name, coming out to greet us with her typical sea lion barks. She swam around some for us, then came out and gave us each a sea lion kiss, which is rather itchy because of her whiskers. Nice picture though. Then we got into the icy cold pool, and me and my wife held our arms out as Nena jumped over them. Nena did this twice. Then Nena came up as we held our hands out in front of us and we held her in our arms as she allowed us to get a nice picture. The trainer also did a few tricks with Nena as we all laughed until we cried. The video was hilarious. Trust me, you will love it.:cool: It lasted around 30 minutes or so, but it went by real fast and there were only four of us.

Loved your review of the sea lion swim/encounter. I was there in September 2003 and took part in the dolphin royal swim which was absolutly breathtaking. It is something I will never forget and one of the most fantastic things I have ever experienced. On this cruise . . . I had originally planned to do it again (Amaya . . . "my" dolphin, still holds a very special place in my heart . . . she was adorable). But . . . decided to do the sea lion swim this time. It was so nice to read about how "cool" it was for ya all to "play" with Nena. I'm looking forward to my experience with a sea lion . . . and maybe I'll get to "meet" Nena.

If you love animals, and you have a good sense of humor, and I think you do, you will love the sea lion encounter. It is far more personal than the dolphin encounter, and of course, Nena can get around in and out of the pool so there are more opportunities to "play" with her. I hope you have a great time, but I must warn you, the pool water is pretty cold. Just jump in and have the time of your life.:D

If you love animals, and you have a good sense of humor, and I think you do, you will love the sea lion encounter. It is far more personal than the dolphin encounter, and of course, Nena can get around in and out of the pool so there are more opportunities to "play" with her. I hope you have a great time, but I must warn you, the pool water is pretty cold. Just jump in and have the time of your life.:D

Thanks Indy . . . I have no doubt I will love it! If I happen to "meet" Nena . . . I'll tell her you said hi! <G>

Luvlele10 - My husband is the x-ray tech so I started to use his screen name never created one myself. This is funny my husband works for Presbyterian but in Matthews there is also one uptown. Which one does your friend work for? Charlotte is a great place to live. We moved from here almost 6 yrs ago from NY, he was able to find a job but less pay but remember the cost of living is cheaper down here.

We booked the Dolphin Royal swim and the Swim and Snorkel though Cozumelinsider. They were fantastic. Cannot wait... :D If we all get done by 12:00 noon then onto PB for some sun and drinks.... ;)

Radtech :)

Archived