Is It Time To Change The Mattresses On The Queen Mary 2

Terrence Richards

Anyone remember Carol Burnett in "Once Upon a Mattress"?;)

We've been on five voyages on QM2, in Britannia, (6, 7, & 8 starting next week)...always with the beds together as a 'Queen'...and we have never been uncomfortable, or had a problem.

One can always request an additional mattress cover, or 'eggshell', if the pea...er, 'bump', is a problem.:rolleyes:

B&B

B&B

Glad to hear your had no problem with the metal framing where the two mattress meet when joined. After six voyages on QM2 in Britannia with the beds joined together, we found sleeping on those mattress very different from the mattress we have at home---and not in a good way.

It was neither a 'pea' nor a 'bump' that bothered us...it was double metal rods where the beds joined from top to bottom. I hope this explains matters better without being too explicit :)

Enjoy your voyages next week,

Salacia

Thanks for starting this thread Terry! My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in style on the QM2 last Nov and we fell in love with the ship (liner). However, we decided against our next voyage (Dec 2010) on her. Why? Because of the beds. That 6 night voyage was the most uncomfortable sleep we have ever had. We woke up every morning stiff and in pain (I'm not exaggerating)... my husband said when we got home that he should have slept on the floor! I do look forward to another sailing on the QM2 one day but NOT until they improve their mattresses!

Cheers,

Hi AviGirl,

Thanks for the response. I wonder how many potential Queen Mary 2 guests have not booked a future voyage on the Queen Mary 2 until it is known that all the mattresses have been changed.

One factor we are not discussing here is our bodies. I am about five foot nine and weigh about 188 pounds. I am sure that our body sizes may determine our comfort levels. Not only was my mattress uncomfortable last November for a roundtrip crossing from Brooklyn, but I was also aware that I had very little side space in the twin. My wife had the same experience in her twin across from me. I guess as we get older our bodies need more support and space. What do you think?

Terrence

II wonder if this is being read, Im sure my mattress is better today,:D,maybe not, A wooden slat from base was creaky, but I fixed it myself by lifting it out.

Hi Rob,

How was the comfort level of the mattress? We all need your input being you are the most recent one here on the Queen Mary 2.

Did you get a chance to mention it to your stateroom steward about some mattresses needing a change? Just wondering if the stateroom stewards are aware of it.

Terrence

The comfort leel was 4 out of 10 for me, i didnt mention it, Robin thought it was OK, so there you are, some people can sleep anywhere and on anything.

I prefer a firm, really firm mattress, a floor would be good with a topper on it , so there is athoer though, everyone likes something different.

the wood slats did creak, i lifted the mattress and removed the offending slat and all was well:)

The comfort leel was 4 out of 10 for me, i didnt mention it, Robin thought it was OK, so there you are, some people can sleep anywhere and on anything.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply from your recent voyage on the Queen Mary 2.

A 4 out of 10 comfort level is still not that good.

So, I will continue with my original post and state that it is time for Cunard to change many of the mattresses on the QM2, especially if they are originals from 2004.

Terrence

I was in cabin 6014 last week and had no problems :) But if they ara as old as the ship, then it's time for a change.

Hi Lanky Lad,

Thanks for your input with the mattress comfort situation on the Queen Mary 2

I took a look at the QM2 deck plans and saw that your Stateroom 6014 is located forward on the portside.

Just two comments from me: First, I am glad that you were comfortable. Do you have any idea if it was a new mattress?

Second, How was the ride up front? Most of the outside staterooms with windows are towards the front of the ship on Deck Four, Five and Six. Just four are on Deck Five towards the rear. I was always curious about choosing those in the front compared to the ones in the rear in how they deal with motion and the ups and downs of the bow.

Thanks for any input.

Terrence

Hi Lanky Lad,

Thanks for your input with the mattress comfort situation on the Queen Mary 2

I took a look at the QM2 deck plans and saw that your Stateroom 6014 is located forward on the portside.

Just two comments from me: First, I am glad that you were comfortable. Do you have any idea if it was a new mattress?

Second, How was the ride up front? Most of the outside staterooms with windows are towards the front of the ship on Deck Four, Five and Six. Just four are on Deck Five towards the rear. I was always curious about choosing those in the front compared to the ones in the rear in how they deal with motion and the ups and downs of the bow.

Thanks for any input.

Terrence

The mattress was quite soft so I don't think it was new, but there were no lumps or bumps in it.

The ride was ok but we were only in the channel, I think there could be quite a bit of movement if there was a swell. Being so far forward there was no engine noise or vibration. The only downside was that 6014 is directly above the bow thrusters, so there was quite a lot of noise and vibration when they were in use. It's a good job I did not want to stay in bed late.

The mattress was quite soft so I don't think it was new, but there were no lumps or bumps in it.

The ride was ok but we were only in the channel, I think there could be quite a bit of movement if there was a swell. Being so far forward there was no engine noise or vibration. The only downside was that 6014 is directly above the bow thrusters, so there was quite a lot of noise and vibration when they were in use. It's a good job I did not want to stay in bed late.

Hello, Lanky Lad,

Thanks for the answer to my question. I too would think that the Staterooms forward would move up and down with sea swells more than those towards the middle and the stern. The information about the bow thrusters was interesting in the fact they would awaken the guests in that stateroom early in the morning during docking procedures.

I hope to get more mattress reviews here. As one person wrote here, most of us spend many hours on them to get our sleep and energy back for the next day on board.

Terrence

The trouble with mattresses is it is all subjective. I was in Cabin 6155 (on the same voyage as Rob) and loved my bed to the extent if I could have brought it home with me I would have!

The trouble with mattresses is it is all subjective. I was in Cabin 6155 (on the same voyage as Rob) and loved my bed to the extent if I could have brought it home with me I would have!

I do agree with you here, everyone has a different feel for them, soft, hard, firm, I like a very firm.hard mattress and maybe thats the problem.

I would not worry too much about them though

Hi Ships Cat,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, the mattress situation is definitely subjective. But would you agree if you end up with a lousy mattress that needs to be changed, that you would know it regardless.

It was nice that you met Rob and Robin on board, thanks to the CC Roll Calls.

Terrence

I do agree with you here, everyone has a different feel for them, soft, hard, firm, I like a very firm.hard mattress and maybe thats the problem.

I would not worry too much about them though

Hi Rob,

Being that you are on board so often, is it possible that your body is now conforming to the contour of the mattress or vise versa?

Evidently, this time you lucked out and did not rest your bones on a mattress that needed to be changed. Hope all goes well with your next voyage in July!

Terrence Spot On!!!

Thanks for starting this thread Terry! My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in style on the QM2 last Nov and we fell in love with the ship (liner). However, we decided against our next voyage (Dec 2010) on her. Why? Because of the beds. That 6 night voyage was the most uncomfortable sleep we have ever had. We woke up every morning stiff and in pain (I'm not exaggerating)... my husband said when we got home that he should have slept on the floor! I do look forward to another sailing on the QM2 one day but NOT until they improve their mattresses!

Cheers,

We both suffer occasionally from bad backs. On the QV in Princess the beds were heavenly but on a 40 day NY/HK on QM2 in Queens Grill, we awoke each morning in pain until a friend suggested that we ask for a board to be placed under the mattress and after that, we were fine. So we completely agree that it's time for a mattress change!!

Hi Ships Cat,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, the mattress situation is definitely subjective. But would you agree if you end up with a lousy mattress that needs to be changed, that you would know it regardless.

Terrence

Oh, absolutely. I have had problems with the mattresses on some P&O ships, that are too hard and make my hips hurt, but in each case a foam mattress topper or similar has been forthcoming.

Yes it was good to See Rob and Robin again.

Oh, absolutely. I have had problems with the mattresses on some P&O ships, that are too hard and make my hips hurt, but in each case a foam mattress topper or similar has been forthcoming.

Yes it was good to See Rob and Robin again.

And it was nice to see you again, we will do again soon I hope

I guess it is time to end this thread and thank everyone for your input.

I will be on the Queen Mary 2 in October in a sheltered balcony stateroom on Deck Five. If I find the mattress on my twin bed uncomfortable, I am requesting a replacement. I will report back in November once I return.

Terrence

Archived