Waitlisted for 8:15 Dinner, any solutions?

KroozeKid

I'm 6 weeks from sailing Caribbean Princess out of NY on 9 night Caribbean/Bermuda trip (7/11). We prefer the traditional dinner experience and also the late seating. Being currently waitlisted and scheduled for Anytime Dining is looking closer to being the reality.

Once on board, should I contact the Maitre D' for a possible change right away ($)? Is there any other way to move myself into better position prior to embarkation?

We did the NCL Freestyle before and it was OK, but would much rather go traditional.

Also, on the Crown Princess we were assigned the early seating and I was able to move the time once on board, but that seems like an easier challenge than getting a table, period.

Would like to hear some of your experiences and suggestions.

Thanx - Al.

If Princess will talk to you, call on a every other day basis and ask where you are on the

list. We went from 125 to 135 to 150 and I kept calling to ask why. Suddenly we were

confirmed.

If that doesn't work, $$ to the Maitre d' absolutely does work. I've seen it happen time

and again. DH has done it, and so has a friend who thinks money will buy her anything.

And it usually does.

Worst case scenario, do as was recommended and try for an assigned table and time

in Anytime. You may find that works better for you anyway, if you can get exactly the

time best suited to you.

It is not necessary to tip before hand for a table.

We have found that when we were waitlisted for late traditional and went to the maitre'd that later that day we received a call to our room stating we had it. And each time during the late dining saw many empty table. If you don't get a call the first day. Still stop by the next day and see if there is an opening.

I've been waitlisted for late traditional dining and as soon as I boarded, I went to the Maitre d' and explained that we really, really, really wanted late seating, as nicely as possible (no $). It was no problem to seat us in late seating. I'm sure the Maitre d' would prefer a reasonable, polite request to some of the turkeys who yell and scream at him to "do something" (which happens all the time, unfortunately) or insist that they have to have a window table (even though it'll be pitch black when they dine.)

I've been waitlisted for late traditional dining and as soon as I boarded, I went to the Maitre d' and explained that we really, really, really wanted late seating, as nicely as possible (no $). It was no problem to seat us in late seating. I'm sure the Maitre d' would prefer a reasonable, polite request to some of the turkeys who yell and scream at him to "do something" (which happens all the time, unfortunately) or insist that they have to have a window table (even though it'll be pitch black when they dine.)

I know what you mean, I hate it when the people that demand very loudly get everything they want, and then I ask nicely and sometimes it seems to land on deaf ears. I find that some of the passengers that are the most demanding, are the same ones at the table, that brag about taking off tips and have probably never filled out a "make your day" card. Lately I have been taking a notepad to meals (anytime) so I can write down the names for the cards. We have been filling out a lot more of those recently for the waitstaff. That way I can also remember who I want to give extra to.

Thanx - I wasn't aware with AD that you could get an assigned table and time. I guess your waitstaff may or may not change nightly?
Whether or not you can book the same table at a specific time for the whole week upfront seems to depend on the ship and the maitre d'. Some make you book only two or three days at a time. But if you do book the same table, you will get the same wait staff.

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions. I fall into the "ask for something nicely " category and hope that it will work. And I agree whole heartedly that noticing exceptional service warrants rewards.

That's one of the main reasons we love traditional dining, and our first Princess cruise exemplified the term exceptional with our waitstaff and I would rather not roll the dice every evening. Over 9 nights, the level of detail in the service with a dedicated staff is what we cruise for; like sitting down and not even having to be asked what your dinner drink will be is nice.

We were 600+ on the waiting list for our CB cruise in August 2008, and we never cleared the waiting list. Seeing the maitre-d didn't help because too many people were asking for the same thing - he wouldn't budge.

Generally, you can make reservations in the Anytime Dining Room for the same table/wait team for the duration of the cruise. However, when we were on the CB, this wasn't allowed. To get around that, we got on line about 10 minutes before the anytime room doors opened, and then we had our choice of tables/waiters, so we could repeatedly choose the same ones. This was the best way for us to simulate the traditional dining experience in the anytime room.

When we were done with our meal, around 7:15pm, the wait for anytime dining was over 45 minutes and there were a lot of very unhappy diners on this cruise.

Another alternative is to switch to one of the early seatings, and try that out for a change.

Whether or not you can book the same table at a specific time for the whole week upfront seems to depend on the ship and the maitre d'. Some make you book only two or three days at a time. But if you do book the same table, you will get the same wait staff.

July of last year on the CB we booked a table on the CB for 7:30 every night. There was no problem. THey suggested the time because they wanted to get two seatings in for the table, one early and one later. At first we had a confirmed table for eight and later switched to a table for four (just ourselves). There was no problem at all; same table, same staff every night.

By the way, the table for 8 had the same people every night, just as traditional dining. Plus, you don't need to wait on the line to be seated. You just walk in and go to your table. Be advised though, if you are 10 or 15 minutes late, they will give away that table to other anytime diners.

If you are intent on traditional dining, to go to the Maitre'd when boarding. There is usually a long line and they give out numbers because he doesn't show up until mid afternoon-ish. There could be a long wait. There is no need to tip in advance. If something can be done, they are quite accommodating.

Sometimes, days into the cruise tables open up because people switch around, so keep trying if not successful at first.

You have to give the staff credit in trying to accommodate everyone's wishes. Go Princess!

Thanx - I wasn't aware with AD that you could get an assigned table and time. I guess your waitstaff may or may not change nightly?

In my experience, it depends on the Maitre'd and which ship you are on if you can book a table in AD at a set time. Have been told that I cannot reserve at certain times (ie. anytime between 6pm and 8.30pm) and on another ship I was also told that I can't reserve AT ALL for anytime!

Hope you get more luck than I did if you are in AD, but as others have said, see the Maitre'd when you board. Best wishes for a great cruise.

We were waitlisted on the Crown. It was important to my mom that we have traditional seating, so I lined up at the maitre 'd's stand about 30 minutes prior to when he was scheduled to appear. I was the 4th person in that line. While standing in line, I met some lovely people. When it was my turn to make a request, I was polite and calm and the maitre 'd said we could be accomidated.

We ended up sharing a table with some of the nice people we met in line! It was a lovely cruise...

ps. I still keep in touch with some of those tablemates!:)

On our Emerald Princess cruise in February we were waitlisted for early dining. We first went to the pursor's desk, but were directed to the dining room, beginning at 1 pm, when the doors opened for such requests. The

Maitre d' gave us an assigned table and time to keep for each night of the cruise. Very easy!

Archived