Non Suite Guest using Suite Facilites

GigCrusier

Should family and Friends of Guest in Suites be allowed suite benefits?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Should family and Friends of Guest in Suites be allowed suite benefits?

• Should non-suite guest be allowed Court yard benefits?
    • Sould non-Suite guest be allowed dining benefits?
    • Should non-Suite Guest found in the Court yard have to walk the plank?
    • Should non-suite guest eating at Cagneys have to wash dishes the remainder of the cruise?

Other than the ice bar, I just have no interest in the Epic... it looks toooooooo big!! ;-)

That's one of the big drivers--at least for me--for a suite. The spa suites were a real bargain when I booked mine back in January.

Since, this last few weeks alone, there has been several occasions that have suggested stretching the rules regarding suite or courtyard perks, imagine if each one that inquired or read the posts brought a "guest" to Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. On the Dawn and Jewel, Cagneys is not that large and the hours for each meal is limited. Someone do the math...sometimes rules are for a reason that needs no exceptions. You get what you pay for......

It is just amazing how such a simple concept becomes so difficult...:eek:

The flight was an EXAMPLE ... it isn't supposed to be the exact same thing. You have to see the forest for the trees.

In BOTH cases is comes down to Person A gives money to Supplier X and is rewarded with perks. Person B gives a differing amount of money to Supplier X, but does not receive perks. Person A cannot just bestow perks upon Person B...only Supplier X can do that.

If you are travelling in a group and want to eat together, I don't see why that would be difficult. You will be able to eat together in any restaurant on the ship EXCEPT the one(s) reserved for people who paid for perks.

When you cut to the chase, this is about one of two things:

#1 - People in different cabin categories want to eat together. This is very SIMPLE...all they have to do is show up at any restaurant where they are all permitted to dine and they can eat together. No muss, no fuss, no problem!

OR

#2 - People in different cabin categories are trying to get benefits that they have not paid for. Trying to get something for nothing. The cruise line is accused of "nickel and diming" for trying to get you to buy things. So then, trying to get something without paying for it is just the passenger "nickel and diming" the cruise line.

Didn't say it wasn't an example, just in my opinion not a good reference? Ultimately though that means someone who did pay for suite perks didn't use them which I don't think should have to occur either. Ultimately we dined separately which I just thought kind of rude on my part, but why then should I have not taken advatange of the perks. I also think it should be based upon space, if the restaurant is basically empty bringing a guest shouldn't be a problem, if full then they could politely be turned away. Cagney's was basically always empty, I never saw more than 4 tables occupied any time that we went.

So many thoughts....

I think there's a bit of a difference between Cagney's and the courtyard, honestly... people eat and go, but you can easily sit poolside all day if you don't have a port of call.

I would say non-suite cruisers should expect nothing extra. Those with privileges, if they do have guests, should ask those with the power rather than people posting opinions who probably really don't know. But personal opinion is, those guests aren't really eating anything more than they'd be eating in other venues. The key thing of Cagney's is the exclusivity of it and even if every suite party knew 10 other non-suite guests on the ship, that is nothing compared to the actual number of people on the ship and as long as there isn't a waiting time, I don't think NCL is going to want to give anyone a bad memory over something so minor......

To me, what I highlighted in red says it all. Way to many people want to take advantage of the concierge, by putting them on the spot, and requesting special treatment. The concierge survives on tips, so what are they going to say. I know that at least one former hotel manager did not allow the concierge the latitude to allow visitors to Cagney's or the courtyard, and he didn't allow exceptions. But then, I guess some folks will always blame the cruise line for everything, even if the cruise line has done nothing but enforce the rules.

Al

To me, what I highlighted in red says it all. Way to many people want to take advantage of the concierge, by putting them on the spot, and requesting special treatment. The concierge survives on tips, so what are they going to say. I know that at least one former hotel manager did not allow the concierge the latitude to allow visitors to Cagney's or the courtyard, and he didn't allow exceptions. But then, I guess some folks will always blame the cruise line for everything, even if the cruise line has done nothing but enforce the rules.

Al

Says it all :D:D:D You made it too easy. I do agree with him about the courtyard but with Cagney's open to all suite passengers as well as VIPs access is fully discretionary.

I thought the mini-suites didn't get any of the perks at all.

We're booked in the GV on Star's June 5 sailing to Alaska. We've got 10 people in our party, so that required that my in-laws purchase accommodations outside the GV. I called NCL to discuss having my in-laws join us for Cagney's at breakfast and lunch, as I didn't wish for them to eat separately from the rest of the family. I was told that this was acceptable to NCL, but I guess we'll see.

I do understand folks' points about protecting the perks that come with certain suites. At the same time, the idea of 8 of us eating at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, while my in-laws do not, doesn't seem all that wonderful to me.

Doesn't matter what anyones opinion is on this situation, it is done ALL the time when you have a family booked like this. Even in situations where you have a Mom and a kid booked in an AE and the Dad and another kid booked in an inside, all are invited to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch.

Who gets to use Cagneys for breakfast and lunch is up to the HD and the Concierge. No where on NCL's website does it say Cagneys for breakfast and lunch is ONLY a suite perk. It says it is a perk for booking a suite but not exclusive to booking a suite. I can assure you if we were in a suite and had Doug's parents with us I would ask the Concierge if it was ok for his parents to join us and then accept whatever answer he/she gave us.

While that seems to make sense, in the 'real world' it does not.

Amenities are for those who paid for them...not for others. Even if its "just one person"...I mean, if every suite guest gave away amenities to "just one person"...

<snip>

As for the food delivery...the butler would be the one serving the meal. He/She would not serve the MIL since she isn't qualified for the amenity. Now...if it was dinnertime, he would serve her dinner from Cagney's, but it would come with the standard speciality restaurant charge.

<snip>

I actually think it's very likely that the butler would bring breakfast and lunch for everyone, including the MIL, to the GV. I'm not it's right or wrong, just that I believe it would happen.

So many thoughts....

I think there's a bit of a difference between Cagney's and the courtyard, honestly... people eat and go, but you can easily sit poolside all day if you don't have a port of call.

I would say non-suite cruisers should expect nothing extra. Those with privileges, if they do have guests, should ask those with the power rather than people posting opinions who probably really don't know. But personal opinion is, those guests aren't really eating anything more than they'd be eating in other venues. The key thing of Cagney's is the exclusivity of it and even if every suite party knew 10 other non-suite guests on the ship, that is nothing compared to the actual number of people on the ship and as long as there isn't a waiting time, I don't think NCL is going to want to give anyone a bad memory over something so minor.

<snip>

Actually, the menu at Cagney's is not the same as the menu in the MDR or the offerings in the buffet. It's substantially better, IMO. And it's not just the food, it's the venue and the atmosphere that are part of the perk.

Would they want to give anyone who is staying in a suite a "bad memory" over the issue? Perhaps to some it's not so "minor."

Didn't say it wasn't an example, just in my opinion not a good reference? Ultimately though that means someone who did pay for suite perks didn't use them which I don't think should have to occur either. Ultimately we dined separately which I just thought kind of rude on my part, but why then should I have not taken advatange of the perks. I also think it should be based upon space, if the restaurant is basically empty bringing a guest shouldn't be a problem, if full then they could politely be turned away. Cagney's was basically always empty, I never saw more than 4 tables occupied any time that we went.

Well, it doesn't "have to" occur. Using the suite/VIP perks is an option, not a requirement.

beachchick

Well, it doesn't "have to" occur. Using the suite/VIP perks is an option, not a requirement.

beachchick

That's a good point. What if I'm in a suite and choose not to disembark at a Tender Port. I'm entitled to VIP tickets. Can I obtain them & give them to someone else? Or is it only ME who is entitled to them for my own use? That would be like selling me something at a variety store and insisting I consume it personally.

So if I choose the buffet one morning, can I designate someone else to go to Cagneys in my stead?

What if I'm pre-booked Cirque Dreams and don't need the concierge services that day....could I give out their phone number to a friend in another type of cabin?

I'm sure I know the answers to most of these questions.... but it's fun to ask them, anyway :)

If I can have guests in my inside cabin without a problem, I don't understand why a person who books a suite should not be allowed to have guests. Is this a class system causing different opinions ?

Has nothing to do with class system. If someone pays a premium for additional relaxation and PRIVACY why should guests that pay standard rates receive the same perks???

Has nothing to do with class system. If someone pays a premium for additional relaxation and PRIVACY why should guests that pay standard rates receive the same perks???

My comment was about OPINIONS, not perks. I believe you have answered my question.

How would you know who was paying for the perks and who was a guest ?

I receive perks because of my Lattitudes status, but I don't begrudge others who receive perks regardless of how they obtained them. Is this wrong ?

If you are buying these things, can they rightfully be called perks ?

That's a good point. What if I'm in a suite and choose not to disembark at a Tender Port. I'm entitled to VIP tickets. Can I obtain them & give them to someone else? Or is it only ME who is entitled to them for my own use? That would be like selling me something at a variety store and insisting I consume it personally.

So if I choose the buffet one morning, can I designate someone else to go to Cagneys in my stead?

What if I'm pre-booked Cirque Dreams and don't need the concierge services that day....could I give out their phone number to a friend in another type of cabin?

I'm sure I know the answers to most of these questions.... but it's fun to ask them, anyway :)

Is it Norway or Sweden where you pay a very large tax and everyone enjoys the same benefits regardless of how much they contributed?

Just a question????????

One time, when I had suite perks, I asked if I could bring a guest to breakfast at Cagneys (one time only) and it was denied. I totally understand the thinking behind it being denied, so it was all good-no problem at all.

I think if you have tender tickets and choose to give them away that's up to you--you have paid for 2 priority seats (or however many) and it doesn't matter whether you use them or someone else does, as long as the total used is however many you paid for. that's very different than you have paid for 2 but use yours and bring others along also.

Perks NCL gives out for whatever reason, paid for or not, are IMHO as legitimate as paying for a suite and whatever comes along with that price. I doubt anyone will object to someone using whatever NCL gives them--and if the NCL perk is explicitly stated to include a guest, then that's once again as good as the perkee plus one buying a suite. No different than me using my frequent flyer miles for first class tickets to Miami or wherever for myself and DH--sure, I didn't pay for them, but I earned them another way, and they are no less valid.

One time, when I had suite perks, I asked if I could bring a guest to breakfast at Cagneys (one time only) and it was denied. I totally understand the thinking behind it being denied, so it was all good-no problem at all.

Thanks M!! That answered my question....what I saw on the Dawn is therefore NOT standard procedure.

That is all I wanted to know..... :)

Thanks M!! That answered my question....what I saw on the Dawn is therefore NOT standard procedure.

That is all I wanted to know..... :)

I'm not sure there actually is an SOP. It could well vary from HD to HD and even then depend on how many are on the Suite/VIP list already. Honestly, I wasn't too hopeful, but what they heck...worst thing that could happen would be a 'no'. Best thing that could have happened would be a 'yes' and a normal balcony cabin customer would like the perk enough to start buying full suites (long shot-I know-LOL)

JMO-but it's the best of the suite perks and has some real value to me. And adding folks is something that they should NEVER do when it will intrude on those who have paid for that perk in the way of a suite

And adding folks is something that they should NEVER do when it will intrude on those who have paid for that perk in the way of a suite

I agree 100%

I have this 'practical' side that never allows me to book a suite....It's a problem that I wish I could get over...:rolleyes:

One day I'll overcome this handicap :p

Beware....once you go up you can never go back. The suite life is very addictive.

Yep, addictive. But not to the point of 'never'. I went from the Courtyard on the Pearl to booking an inside for my next cruise about 5 months later (I did get a good upsell to a balcony just prior to sailing)

God bless the Upsale fairy. She has visited us a few times and made life very special. When we are not in an upper suite, we long for the perks but still think it is a priviledge for those who paid for it.

God bless the Upsale fairy. She has visited us a few times and made life very special. When we are not in an upper suite, we long for the perks but still think it is a priviledge for those who paid for it.

my sentiments exactly (although I'm not opposed to the VIP list either ) :)

Baseline answer seems to be "no," non-suite guests can not and should not get suite-perks. Though I agree with this as a general rule, I think there should be leeway granted on a situational basis. No expecations, however (except for suiters). And, it sounds like NCL may approve of variances such as a small number of family guests. But, it's definitely an NCL call.

I would agree - as long as guests (in small numbers of course) don't affect the overall ambiance of the CY or Cagney's it seems to me it would only be natural for those guests who have paid for those suites to allow their friends and family members to accompany them.

While this may not be exactly the same, several members of my husband's family own homes in a small gated community (less than 10 families). In the middle of the gated community there is a small park with a playground, fire pit, ramada, tennis courts etc. Each family who owns property in this community pays a hefty sum each year to maintain the park and it's facilities. As such, it's only natural that visitors are also allowed to use the park - provided they aren't causing problems (ie loud parties, damage to the lawn or facilities etc.) if they were to cause problems, be they guests or residents, they would be asked to return to their home.

While I realize the CY villa is not the same as a small private park for many reasons, there are similarities and I think many people here are being sticklers about rules.

The family who mentioned the AB and AF - maybe it's grandma and grandpa in the AF? If so, they may be along to help with the kids and give mom and dad a break. If they were to pay for a full suite such as an AE or AC their room wouldn't be nearly as close, so while they would be entitled to breakfast and lunch in Cagney's etc - it wouldn't be easy for them to relax in their own room and keep an eye on the kids while mom and dad go out for dinner or to a show.

In certain cases I think CY access etc should be granted. Not to say that all 25 grandkids should be allowed to use the CY area because grandpa booked an owner's suite but 1 or 2 visitors for every group of suite pax isn't going to damage the value of the suite perks. After all - how often are all the people who are entitled to CY access going to be using it at the same time?

Yep, addictive. But not to the point of 'never'. I went from the Courtyard on the Pearl to booking an inside for my next cruise about 5 months later (I did get a good upsell to a balcony just prior to sailing)

Nice upsell!! :)

I wonder if by booking on line with one of those 'big' on line cruise agencies, that this prevents me from ever being called by the upsell fairy????

That would likely be a way to get me in a suite :D

In certain cases I think CY access etc should be granted. Not to say that all 25 grandkids should be allowed to use the CY area because grandpa booked an owner's suite but 1 or 2 visitors for every group of suite pax isn't going to damage the value of the suite perks. After all - how often are all the people who are entitled to CY access going to be using it at the same time?

1 or 2 per every suite would damage the CY area atmosphere. It's small and really doesn't have room for increasing the occupancy that much. Granted, on some cruises it is mostly empty, but on others it can be very full with no extra room for others.

In certain cases I think CY access etc should be granted. Not to say that all 25 grandkids should be allowed to use the CY area because grandpa booked an owner's suite but 1 or 2 visitors for every group of suite pax isn't going to damage the value of the suite perks.

The Courtyard area is small and intimate, which is the very reason that my family books Courtyard Villas. Several suites have access to this area. If each one brought just one guest, you're looking at about 16 extra people in the Courtyard. Even if only half of these non-suite guests were there at one time, there would not be enough room for everyone to sit.

On my last cruise, my family booked two Courtyard Villas for over $16,000 for five people. I paid that premium for the Courtyard and all the amenities it has to offer. If I'm paying that kind of money for a 7 night cruise, I want my choice of seat in the Courtyard. Also, seating at Cagney's can get busy -- I've had to wait for a table on a couple of occasions. Sevice can be slow. It shouldn't be made even slower due to more guests.

For the record, we have traveled with friends who were not staying in the Courtyard. I brought them up for a visit in my suite, but we did not enter the Courtyard area. Except for that one visit, we met for dinner, drinks, and shows in the regular areas of the ship. It wasn't a big deal. I love NCL and think it provides excellent dining and relaxation in many different areas on the ship, not just the Courtyard. It's not a class system. Instead, think of it as paying a premium for the square footage of the Courtyard. It's like an extension of your cabin space. I don't go in other peoples' cabins, and they shouldn't go in mine -- or the Courtyard. You get what you pay for.

Archived