NCL Pearl Review - Rocky Start, Awesome Finish!

elsplace2

We returned from our Pearl cruise this morning and I can report that every clothing store in every port has waterproof reversible jackets for sale at only $20.00. Many cruisers were sporting them and they appeared to be made quite well.

Balcony doors: The sliding door can be kept open in the locked position. Just open and they turn the handle downwards to lock the door into place. The dividing door cannot be opened while cruising as there is no way to secure it in the open position. Our room steward confirmed that it could only be opened while in port.

It only rained while we were in Juneau. Beautiful weather for Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria. It was actually quite warm while we toured Butchart Gardens. I'll try to write more later...

I totally agree with you. I got on the Pearl the day you got off and the whole cruise was fun. I bought $20.00 jacket from Juneau as well and it helped me in Ketchikan, which was the only port where we hit light rain. Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Victoria had awesome weather. In Juneau, it was warm except on the glacier where we landed, but it was so much fun up there. Skagway was partially cloudy and the Sun would peek out momentarily for us to enjoy the breath taking scenary. Amazing ship and overall cruise experience.:):)

I'm still keeping up with this and a few other posts, but have been busy with summer stuff for now. Thanks for the balcony door info, we'll just play it by ear when we are on the ship. Also given the $20 vs $169 difference in the jackets, perhaps she can wait until Juneau. One less thing to have to fit into a suitcase from home and something that could be left behind for the crew, instead of packing it for the return home.

I'm still keeping up with this and a few other posts, but have been busy with summer stuff for now. Thanks for the balcony door info, we'll just play it by ear when we are on the ship. Also given the $20 vs $169 difference in the jackets, perhaps she can wait until Juneau. One less thing to have to fit into a suitcase from home and something that could be left behind for the crew, instead of packing it for the return home.

Just keep in mind you are going in May and I don't know if you are going a day or 2 early to spend in Seattle, but Seattle was one of the coldest places, with the exception of Victoria for us. Ironic, huh...Alaska was warmer! LOL...Also keep in mind you will have a sea day before hitting Juneau, so it may be cool then, especially if you plan on spending any time out on your balcony or decks....so be sure she brings something warm to hold her over, just in case!! You just never know, with that Alaska/Seattle weather!!

Stuvan, I just thought of another thought for the jacket....if the Men's were only $69 or whatever....why not just get your wife a smaller size in Men's, for her? Same exact coat, with the exception of the zipper side. Not a big deal in my opinion!

• 2 months later...
Stuvan, I just thought of another thought for the jacket....if the Men's were only $69 or whatever....why not just get your wife a smaller size in Men's, for her? Same exact coat, with the exception of the zipper side. Not a big deal in my opinion!

Took awhile, but she just ordered the woman's on clearance for $59 with free shipping. Came a bit ago and she loves it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now we just have to wait.

Hey Stuvan,

Glad to hear your wife got a GREAT deal on her coat! If it's the same one I got that has the removable fleece, she will love it....

Hope you have a great time in a Alaska and you won't be needing that coat! Hang in there, you are almost under 200 days to go!! (Feels like forever huh?) We still have over 200 days, for our European cruise, too! :eek:

• 2 years later...
We got back around 11:45am. By now, the sun was trying to poke out and it turned out to be a great day. We went back on the ship to have lunch and back off after lunch and walked around. DH had seen a walking trail from the train, so we went off looking for it…couldn’t find it, so we went into the visitor center and a local recommended that we do the “lakeside” trail instead…..so glad we did. Here are some photos from the end of the trail.

If you would like to do this trail, it is a quick 20 minute walk. The first street you get to when you get off the ship you go left. (There’s a sign that says Whitehorse, pointing in that direction) Follow the road like you are going to the airport. The road curves. You will see a metal bridge off to the right. Cross the bridge and follow signs to Yakutania Point. At the end is rocky, but the views are beautiful.

I am definitely going to look for this. We are renting a car in Skagway. Do you remember if there is parking nearby the trail?

Thanks.

Connie

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=Countdown To Alaska&date=7-30-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Miracle

PAST CRUISES:

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

20983-profile.png

I am definitely going to look for this. We are renting a car in Skagway. Do you remember if there is parking nearby the trail?

Thanks.

Connie

No, sorry I don't remember if there was parking there....but I'm sure there was....but it was soooo easy to walk to from the ship. Have a great cruise, we sailed on the Miracle too in the Caribbean.....it's a great ship!

Hope you find the trail! As you can see there were some beautiful views in the end!

Happy Sailing!!

I went online to the National Park service Skagway for shorter hiking maps, it gives several trial options, time, and directions including the point. I am hoping to do at least one and there are several easy options.

I went online to the National Park service Skagway for shorter hiking maps, it gives several trial options, time, and directions including the point. I am hoping to do at least one and there are several easy options.

Yes I would definitely do at least one in Skagway.....It was beautiful there.....well it was beautiful in all our ports! This Alaska cruise was one of my favorites, along with Hawaii and Europe!! Although we did enjoy all of our Caribbean ones too!!

Archived