Rhodes--Ship Excursion or Private Excursion?

pier

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been to Rhodes. Did you take ship excursions, hire someone privately, or see it on your own?

Hello! I have been to Rhodes twice and did neither a ship excursion or a private one. I think it depends on what you want to do. The old walled town just adjacent to the pier area is easy to get around in and the main attraction would be the Street of the Knights(Knights Templar) and their castle which is a nice visit. The walk around the city is enchanting especially if you just wander through the back streets. There are several great shops for shopping(especially on the back streets) and great restaurants in the main square. I enjoyed the day and was not pushed at all. I am interested in what others say regarding the ship's tours though. I hope you have a great time, Greece is a magical place.

We have read that old town is very interesting and easy to do yourself, but have also read that you might not know what you are looking at.

Here is a fascinating description of Rhodes from the Greek tourist network: http://www.rodos.com/rhodes-tn/old-town-rh.htm

Also, here are some wonderful walking tours for mp3 players. We have ordered one for Rhodes. http://www.discovery-walk.com/

The first time we were there we took the City tour just to get an adea of the layout and history. It was not expensive, and enjoyable. We have been there several time since then and always just do our own walking tour of the old City. It is very near the ship and very easy to do. Rhodes i one of our favorite Cities in Greece

We had a very nice private tour that we split with another couple from the Roll Call.

http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/best_of_rhodes_tours_greece.htm

We did a small bit of the Old Town/Street of The Knights/Grand Masters Palace. We then went to the New Town and Old Harbor, Temple of Apollo/Greek Stadium,Acropolis of Lindos,St Pauls Bay and were dropped off near Old Town for lunch. We then had about 2 1/2 hours to explore the Old Town before walking back to the ship.

Dave

"We had a very nice private tour that we split with another couple from the Roll Call.

http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/be...urs_greece.htm

We did a small bit of the Old Town/Street of The Knights/Grand Masters Palace. We then went to the New Town and Old Harbor, Temple of Apollo/Greek Stadium,Acropolis of Lindos,St Pauls Bay and were dropped off near Old Town for lunch. We then had about 2 1/2 hours to explore the Old Town before walking back to the ship."

Dave"

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information on your private tour of Rhodes. Was your tour the 4.5-hour tour or the 7-hour tour? Do you remember the cost?

Thanks!

We took the 4-5 hr tour. It was 45 Euro an hour for the Mercedes Sedan and Nicholas as our driver. That was a little bit over a year ago so the prices may have changed. They seemed to be very flexible to shorten or lengthen the tour if needed. There shoukd be some more information in the Greece CC board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Dave

We'll be on the Journey Holyland cruise 10/10/10 - such a long time from now :(

I suspect we'll explore Rhodes on our own, but it never hurts to find out what others are doing 'cause you never know when you might change your mind.

Have a great cruise and be sure to report back to all of us waiting in the wings for your update and our turn to cruise.

We were in Rhodes in June '09 with Oceania. Old Rodes is a very walkable city with lots of back winding streets. The ship docks right at the Old City. With some previous reading from a guide book and a map you are good to go. If you intend to see more than the Old City, then you would probably need an excursion. If we go back again, we will take one of the excursion boats that are at the pier and head down to the wonderful beaches. Have a great time.

Archived