What is there to do other than...

brooklynfc

Seven Mile Beach, Sting Rays and Dolphins, scuba diving, and the Turtle Farm.

My mom is having a hard time with booking any of the above mentioned things. We have a beach day in Cozumel and we don't scuba or do interactions with SR and Dolphins. I thought the Turtle Farm would be the best idea, but she doesn't want to pay the cost for that.

As I understand it Grandy Cayman doesn't have that many shops and stores for shopping, so what else is there? She is just wanting to get off the ship and see and I think with a port like this she needs to think ahead. But I also think money is holding her back. I've paid for a majority of the cost, but I can't cover it all.

Any ideas for a my wishy-washy mom?

Actually there are a lot of wonderful shops in Georgetown. Lots of artsy stuff, lots of high dollar items.

We did the submarine and had a wonderful time. What a way to see what's under the sea, without getting wet. We saw turtles, fish in abundance and coral. Our group of 4 ranged in age from 50-65, and we all had a great time. The sub seats more than 40, but we were less than half full. They give you a certificate when you get back to land. Afterwards we browsed our way through the shops back to get the tender. We stopped at the museum, more history than art, but a great short film on the history of the islands. Cost for the museum was less than 10$ per adult. Quite enjoyable. The Caymans ae beautiful and very clean. Nice to visit a place where people aren't in your face trying to sell you something. :)

• 2 weeks later...

When we went to Cayman Islands we rented a little car and drove to Rum Point. It was a beautiful drive and Rum Point is beyond beautiful!! I don't think words can describe it!!! On the way back we stopped at this one place along the coast that had "blow holes". They were really neat to watch! Then we drove the opposite direction and went to see what "Hell" was all about. Don't bother, as far as we were concerned. The traffic got pretty bad right through the city, but other than that it was easy to get around. The car rental wasn't bad, seems like under $50. Just beware, they drive on the left side of the road! That is very weird at first, it takes a little bit of getting used to. We had a fun day and are going back in January. I think we will go see the stingrays this time. What ever you decide, have a great cruise!!

I'd second the idea of the botanical garden if you're interested in that kind of thing. It's a nice botanical garden, the only disadvantage is that it's quite a ways from town but you can catch the local bus going out there from only a few blocks from where the tender landing.

Cayman is the high end shopping destination of the Carib'

Want t-shirts and similar junk ... Cayman has few

Want a Rolex or some pearls ... this is your place. MAYBE - better know your prices and don't forget about your duty limits . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Cayman has shops other than high end and I agree that it's nice to browse without having someone in your face. Caymen is clean, safe, lovely and one of my favorite ports. We've done the semi-submerge sub thing on Grand Caymen and Cozumel. In Cozumel they had us on a really old, in need of repair subs. In Georgetown, the shop is close to the pier, in excellent condition with very knowledgeable, courteous staff and the difference was staggering. They have little shops that are very interesting and easy to browse in (and the liquor shops offer samples). Love this port.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually there are a lot of wonderful shops in Georgetown. Lots of artsy stuff, lots of high dollar items.

We did the submarine and had a wonderful time. What a way to see what's under the sea, without getting wet. We saw turtles, fish in abundance and coral. Our group of 4 ranged in age from 50-65, and we all had a great time. The sub seats more than 40, but we were less than half full. They give you a certificate when you get back to land. Afterwards we browsed our way through the shops back to get the tender. We stopped at the museum, more history than art, but a great short film on the history of the islands. Cost for the museum was less than 10$ per adult. Quite enjoyable. The Caymans ae beautiful and very clean. Nice to visit a place where people aren't in your face trying to sell you something. :)

Could you tell me a little more about the Submarine excursion please? Did someone meet you at the dock? How did you get there and how long did it take to get there? Were the vehicles air conditioned? Was the sub air conditioned and was it really working (I have heard that some are barely pumping air). Do you see anyone get seasick on the sub and do you think there is potential for that? Do they take you directly back to the port/ship? Thanks for any help you can give.....

Could you tell me a little more about the Submarine excursion please? Did someone meet you at the dock? How did you get there and how long did it take to get there? Were the vehicles air conditioned? Was the sub air conditioned and was it really working (I have heard that some are barely pumping air). Do you see anyone get seasick on the sub and do you think there is potential for that? Do they take you directly back to the port/ship? Thanks for any help you can give.....

It is about a four block walk.

The submarine has air conditioning but not everyone will necessarily find it adequate.

There is little motion but potential for seasickness does exist depending on how susceptible you are.

Does it seem claustrophobic in the sub??
ut

Actually,no. That did surprise me as I can get claustrophobic. It is pretty tight quarters but if you just look out the window in front of you and really enjoy the view it is just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived