Aligarter and past Destiny cruisers

What do you think of Destiny, cabins, ship in general, entertainment, dining?

Friendliness, atmosphere, entertainment all excellent - just the same as the other Thomson ships.

The main difference regarding dining is that it's fixed dining on Destiny - but the food is just as good and the dining room ambience, if anything, better in as much as the waiters do a 'Showtime' at the end of each sitting and sing a song or two. They really are great. (Not that the staff on Spirit and Celebration aren't fantstic too but the showtime is a nice touch - if they still do it - we haven't been on Destiny this year.) The Lido is different altogether - see later.

The cabins are a bit plainer I'd say (talking basic cabin here - perhaps someone else may be able to compare deluxe/suites for you) and a bit smaller - even a foot each way can make a lot of difference - and although there is sufficient storage, I found there was little drawer space (plenty on S & C) and rather less hanging. But we managed quite well. The showers are very neat! But they have panelled walls in the en-suites which have a rather better appearance than the tired mosaic tiles of the other two (IMO).

As for the ship, I'll try to summarise the comparisons as I see it:

Oklahoma Lounge is lighter, bigger and airier than High Spirits/Liberties.

There is a large, very comfortable bar (Blakes) with a pianist but no classical musicians as in Explorers (a plus or minus depending on your view of the classical musicians!)

Clippers Bar is very nice too - much like Raffles/Hemingways but the group play here as there is no room in The Sky Bar for them.

The Sky Bar at the top of the ship is great for wrap round viewing - nice for a drink, watching the sunset - the stairs/lift come up in the middle so it goes round a bit like a dough-nut so you can't see across the bar from one side to the other. Horizons is more of a 'room' so it can accommodate the musicians - very similar type of bar though.

The pool area is bigger on Destiny with more space for sunbeds.

It's a larger and better area for eating lunches here too - very 'al fresco' feel.

There is a very nice bar area overlooking the pool deck (Mast Bar)

No cinema.

The Lido restaurant is at the stern and is open at the back. They have some tarpaulins/awning type material stretched across but it's still draughty so I find it not so good for evening meals although O.K for breakfasts/lunch/snacks. We were on a Med cruise and the weather wasn't too good and didn't like this area at all - too cold - but in the Caribbean it came into its own - the tarpaulins had been removed and it really was a great area then sitting in the warm Caribbean evenings looking out over the stern. (I much prefer the Lido restaurant on C&S although I know other posters like the Lido and prefer to eat there rather than the MDR).

There is also quite a bit of seating under semi-covered areas down both sides of the pool deck which was very pleasant for lunchtime grills/BBQs.

Cabins better on Spirit, Celebration

Showlounge similar but no mezzanine as I remember.

I found the Destiny less easy to navigate but you get used to it.

On balance I prefer S & C but would happily travel on Destiny for the itinerary I wanted and thoroughly enjoyed our cruises on her.

What do you think of Destiny, cabins, ship in general, entertainment, dining?

Hi Midlandcruiser. Well to answer your question, when we first got onboard we were not so sure about Destiny after sailing on Celebration before. The cabin we had was an inside on deck 4, smaller than celebration and the storage was not quite so good, I had to hang my long dresses on the hooks as they wouldnt fall right on the rails. Our bed was made into a double before we went for dinner so that was nice, but the duvet was the same as if beds were still singles so either feet came out the bottom or you fought over the duvet. We solved this by putting a blanket over our feet. Every night we came back to a different animal on our bed made from the towels. The rooms were always being cleaned wether they needed it or not. There are alot more steps on the destiny so its harder to take a stroll around the prom deck. We found after a couple of days that we had settled in and knew our way around. It was nice that as smokers there were a few more places that we could smoke and sit down at the same time.

We only went and seen the comedian and 1 other show while we were onboard as well as the crew show, I think that the shows are the same on all of the ships maybe not as good as celebration, its a shame that they didnt have a few more crew doind turns for their show as i think they are the best ones to watch.

I wasnt so keen on the formal dining having to stick to the same table everynight, although we had a lovely couple on our table, our waiters were good but it would have been nice to go to another section if we wanted to.

Ship In general was good, ok not the Ritz but not ritz prices either. I will post a bar list on the relevant post. ...any questions you need answering just ask

Ok thanks to both of you, I'm trying to be very, very optomistic re dream, but I am getting really worried after hoopys post.

I'm set on the itinery, I will not change from the 3 main ports on it, so I was just having a look which ship also sails the same week as us, the only other one being Destiny or IE, and that seems to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I've paid the balance to cruise deals though and don't know if we'd be able to transfer if I decided to. Our problem also being we've got a four berth inside cabin, which narrows our options as well.

I wish someone would wave a magic wand or a plunger and put this right, I getting quite obsessed about this now.

I must try and remain open minded. Perhaps June will bring better news.

Ok thanks to both of you, I'm trying to be very, very optomistic re dream, but I am getting really worried after hoopys post.

I'm set on the itinery, I will not change from the 3 main ports on it, so I was just having a look which ship also sails the same week as us, the only other one being Destiny or IE, and that seems to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I've paid the balance to cruise deals though and don't know if we'd be able to transfer if I decided to.

Where are the ports that you are so keen on going too?? I have the Excursions lits here as well so if you need to can give yu prices, although we didnt do any. The real place we wanted to go was MonteCarlo and that cost us 10 euros return on the train for the 2 of us, others paid £30+ each to go on the organised tour. We really had a wonderful holiday on Destiny but need another one no to relax.....lol

Monte Carlo, Florence and Pisa, Rome are must do's, I've been so looking forward to them for over 12 months now.

Can you tell me what time you managed to disembark for Monte Carlo on your own.

How much are adult/child prices(and does it specify an age) for Florence/Pisa, I know Rome by train doesn't have child prices.

Monte Carlo, Florence and Pisa, Rome are must do's, I've been so looking forward to them for over 12 months now.

How much are adult/child prices(and does it specify an age) for Florence/Pisa, I know Rome by train doesn't have child prices.

We managed to get off and into Monte Carlo by about 10.30-10.45 am just walked straight to station and one pulled up as we got our tickets. We didnt go into Rome ourselves as have done that before for a long weekend but our dinner companions said that they paid about 9 euros. pisa I think was about the same. We just explored Livorno which didnt take very long at all, but meant we had nice quiet ship while lots were doinf excursions :-) I did fancy a bike Tour but they were also very pricey.

Where are the ports that you are so keen on going too?? I have the Excursions lits here as well so if you need to can give yu prices, although we didnt do any. The real place we wanted to go was MonteCarlo and that cost us 10 euros return on the train for the 2 of us, others paid £30+ each to go on the organised tour. We really had a wonderful holiday on Destiny but need another one no to relax.....lol

Wecome back, aligarter. :) So pleased you had such a good time. Have you started looking at the brochures yet wondering where you will go next? ;)

On the Destiny the Can Can Show Lounge is better than the Broadway on the Spirit / Celebration - it has a slightly sloping floor, it is a bit bigger, the stage is larger so makes some shows easier for the crew .

Oklahoma lounge is better than High Spirits / Liberties.

Horizons on the Spirit/Celebration is good but too cut off - at least Clipper on the Destiny is in the midst of things. Blakes is better than Explorers but they should have some classical music in there too.

I would say the fixed Dining on the Destiny is a poor feature.

The lack of drinks at the Pool Grill on the Destiny is ridiculous but at least the Destiny also has the Lido.

Cabins are smaller on the Destiny but not an issue for us.

Less vibration on the Destiny

More open deck and sunbeds on the Destiny

Promenade Deck is better on Spirit and Celebration as it is all one level and a nicer feel.

Lido on Spirit and Celebration is better.

All three are great - with some changes the Destiny could be the best - as it is there is little to choose. There are no improvements that can be made to improve the other two - the Destiny has not reached its full potential in my opinion.

The organised Thomson trip Florance/Pisa is a full day trip and costs are adult £62 Children £30 for just Florance on your own with Thomson full day is adult £32 Child £20

Wecome back, aligarter. :) So pleased you had such a good time. Have you started looking at the brochures yet wondering where you will go next? ;)

Thank you Kruzseeka, we are still hoping to do 2 weeks in Greece in september, would of likes to do the Spirit cruise and stay but the weeks we have booked would mean doing the Adriatic Explorer again (which we loved, I think I prefered the Adriatic cruise above the Med Renaissance) and missing the Greek leg again so maybe just 2 weeks on a beach. did look lastnight hee hee hee

Archived