Ushuaia + Cape Horn

jettman

We are looking at several itineraries for South America.

In Jan 2011 Silversea no longer goes to Ushuaia and does not sail around Cape Horn. Instead of these destinations, they have added one more port in Chile (Puerto Chacabuco), the Falklands, and one additional port in Ururuay (Punta del Este). We are wondering if these other destinations are worth not experiencing Ushuaia and Cape Horn. I have always wondered if cruising around a rock is really all that important. We would love to hear your thoughts and what new adventures we might be missing if we do not go to Ushuaia.

Thanks!

Sailing around the Cape is not that exciting except to be able to say 'you have sailed around the southern most tip of the Americas'. The Cape is a barren island. You will be a mile or so off shore so will barely see the rangers home, flag and memorial. There are three reasons Silverseas may be missing Ushuaia. Could be other lines have already booked the port that day and there is no room for additional ships, could be they feel most guest interested in a deep southern cruise have already been there or more likely they are trying to offer their guest ports that other lines don't offer. I was in Ushuaia last Dec. We had a very nice day but the weather there is often unpleasent. If the weather is nice there are several nice excursions you can take there so Siverseas would not pass on it because of there being nothing worth seeing.

Wayne

I would take the Falkland Islands over Ushuaia any day. However, many ships do not make it into the Falklands becuase the seas can be too rough for the tenders. the Silverseas ship may be small enough to dock instead of having to tender people in.

It is very nice to go to Cape Horn if you can disembark. I did it with Mare Australis which is small expedition ship. Otherwise is waist of time.

Ushuaia and Falklands have different things to see. I consider both as complement not a choice.

Been to each of the ports mentioned except for the one in Chile. We had 4 stops in Chile and enjoyed all put the one in Punta Arenas as the it had gale force winds and it was a Sunday when most everything was closed I truly enjoyed Ushuaia and the sailing around the Horn as the weather was absolutely wonderful. However it is a 50/50 chance of getting good weather.

Falklands is definitely worth the stop to get to chat with the locals about the 1982 war and see the penguins. Punta del Este is a beautiful seaside community and has a great beach sculpture of a hand. We went there when there was a car race and the hand had a driving glove on it which was a kick to see.

Archived