Back from the Summit today

Hobie1976

I noticed the other thread was closed. I have to agree that this cruise on Celebrity definitely did not meet our expectations. We felt the overall cruise experience on this cruise was missing something. Another cruiser that had numerous sailings on Celebrity also felt this cruise was not Celebrity's normal service.

I am guessing that those of us that experienced problems with the service in the Waterfall Cafe may have sat in the back section. We even had trouble getting tables cleared and wiped...

While I was attending a private performance my hubbie requested peanuts 4 times before they were served to him.

Dining room service was okay,food was okay, but nothing that was wonderful.

Shows were good. We missed a few, but no complaints on the ones we attended.

Concierge Lounge was not impressing. We only went once. It took us over 40 minutes to get a drink. The pass arounds left much to be desired. They were cold...and again just had someone place a napkin on our table and dish out a few and said that should be enough for you. We were not asked what we would like.

Very disappointed that the hot tubs and pools closed as early as 7:00.

Disembarkment was horrible. There was a long line for the elevators. On RCCL they control the elevators and assist the diamond plus members. It really was ridiculous.

We loved the Aqua Spa Cafe....the cool clothes when boarding after being out and about...the flowers delivered to our stateroom on formal night...but would have really appreciated a more friendly - service oriented crew.

I was also wondering why that thread was closed, wanted to add my two cents.

I agree with you (quoted you on a different message as well) about service in the Waterfall cafe. We varied where we sat and also had a problem with pickup/wiping of the tables, it got to be ridiculous at some point.

We did have good service (not great) in the MDR, and very good service at the bars.

Disembarkation for us went great, as well as many other great things on this cruise (see my review on the link below), but we think X is disappointing some people over very simple, unnecessary, easy to fix things.

I noticed the other thread was closed. I have to agree that this cruise on Celebrity definitely did not meet our expectations. We felt the overall cruise experience on this cruise was missing something. Another cruiser that had numerous sailings on Celebrity also felt this cruise was not Celebrity's normal service.

I am guessing that those of us that experienced problems with the service in the Waterfall Cafe may have sat in the back section. We even had trouble getting tables cleared and wiped...

While I was attending a private performance my hubbie requested peanuts 4 times before they were served to him.

Concierge Lounge was not impressing. We only went once. It took us over 40 minutes to get a drink. The pass arounds left much to be desired. They were cold...and again just had someone place a napkin on our table and dish out a few and said that should be enough for you. We were not asked what we would like.

Disembarkment was horrible. There was a long line for the elevators. On RCCL they control the elevators and assist the diamond plus members. It really was ridiculous.

We loved the Aqua Spa Cafe....the cool clothes when boarding after being out and about...the flowers delivered to our stateroom on formal night...but would have really appreciated a more friendly - service oriented crew.

I had also commented on the closed thread and my comments were similar to yours. Never sailed Celebrity before but did RCCL and felt that that cruise was much better. We didn't sail on this line because it was supposed to be better but because we wanted 3 days in Bermuda and that is what we got but we probably wouldn't sail on Celebrity again - at least not on Summit. Maybe a bigger ship??

I think disembarkation was delayed due to Bayonne PD being there due to alleged passenger being trouble - that is what someone else had said. Also, on our last cruise, we had no line at Customs and this time we did - we checked out through non-US citizens line. The actual time with the Customs officer was very speedy - just a long line!

Loved Bermuda and mostly liked the cruise - who wouldn't love to be on a cruise??!!

We had great service on Summit. In the main dining room our waiter & assistant waiter were above excellent. Our cabin steward was also one of the best we've ever had. We've sailed Celebrity, RCCL, Princess & Carnival.

We got served coffee in the Waterfall Cafe & almost never had a problem finding a table, but we went off peak. What we did see is an awful lot of people with mobility problems being assisted by the waiters that probably would be serving you coffee in the buffet. I notice these things because I spend an awful lot of time pushing my elderly mother around in a wheel chair. I just thank God everyday that I can get up & get myself another cup of coffee. I'm just glad that there are people to help those that can't. I also appreciate that they still have trays on Summit, they don't on Princess or RCCL.

I was traveling with two individuals in wheel chairs and a mentally challenged individual..we were a group of six altogether. None of the handicapped individuals were ever assisted. We seated them and waited on them. Once they were all served the three of us would get our food. It wasnt just the assisting people..but even to have dishes removed and the table completed wiped was a challenge. They would wipe the table half way, not moving the sugar, salt, and pepper. There were coffee spills left after they wiped. We did not go in prime time...to avoid the hassle with the wheel chairs. I very seldom post anything negative, but I have to say that Celebrity needs to check out was is going on with the Summit staff.

Sorry to hear you had such a disappointing cruise on the Summit. Having never sailed her before, I can only vouch for the Millie and the Connie as far as "M" class ships go. You really should try the Constellation......they have the best crew on the planet!!!!!!

I was on the Summit in the begining of May and had a FABULOUS time! The ship iteself was great, the crew was friendly and very helpful, food was great... 10 out of 10

No offense but some of the complaints you all have are over nit picky things JMO

I was on the Summit in the begining of May and had a FABULOUS time! The ship iteself was great, the crew was friendly and very helpful, food was great... 10 out of 10

No offense but some of the complaints you all have are over nit picky things JMO

Hi, Sarah!

We were on the same cruise. This was our third X cruise. Overall, we had a great time and are booked on two future X cruises. Overall the Summit was not up to our previous experiences on the Century or Solistice. That seems to be the consence among those who have been on other X cruises. Not that is overall cruise wasn't good, but that it wasn't as good as X's normal.

Many complained about stains, spots, etc. Yes, it's an older ship, so the normal "wear and tear" didn't bother us. It was the disappointing service (cabin and MDR for us) and lower overall food quality than previously experienced. Some cabin stewards were great - our's: not so much. None of our cabin neighbors were impressed, either. MDR had some good items, but most was beyond average. The Normandie and Aqua Spa Cafe were outstanding.

The ONLY really gross thing was the floor of our shower (C1). The tiles were loose and "squished/squashed" under foot. Not only unpleasant, but potenially dangerous (slipping, mold, etc) and damaging (where does that water go?).

If I remember this was not your first cruise, but it was your first X cruise (???). For the most part, I disagree (in the nicest, possible way ;)) with your "nit picky" comment. You and Brian are fun, positive people who took full advantage of all that X has to offer, but after you have a "normal" X experience (all around great service and even better food) you'll see what the comparisions are all about!!!

(btw - did you do traditional or select dining? we tried the select and liked the flexibility. But trying to figure out if the food quality was a timing issue or a systemic kitchen issue. thoughts?

The numerous comments/compliants all seem to fall under the area of the Hotel Director. Maybe the Summit's HD needs to be re-trained by the Mercury's HD - according to these boards they are doing everything right!!! Wish we would have a chance to sail her before she leaves the fleet :(

Sara

Hi, Sarah!

We were on the same cruise. This was our third X cruise. Overall, we had a great time and are booked on two future X cruises. Overall the Summit was not up to our previous experiences on the Century or Solistice. That seems to be the consence among those who have been on other X cruises. Not that is overall cruise wasn't good, but that it wasn't as good as X's normal.

Many complained about stains, spots, etc. Yes, it's an older ship, so the normal "wear and tear" didn't bother us. It was the disappointing service (cabin and MDR for us) and lower overall food quality than previously experienced. Some cabin stewards were great - our's: not so much. None of our cabin neighbors were impressed, either. MDR had some good items, but most was beyond average. The Normandie and Aqua Spa Cafe were outstanding.

The ONLY really gross thing was the floor of our shower (C1). The tiles were loose and "squished/squashed" under foot. Not only unpleasant, but potenially dangerous (slipping, mold, etc) and damaging (where does that water go?).

If I remember this was not your first cruise, but it was your first X cruise (???). For the most part, I disagree (in the nicest, possible way ;)) with your "nit picky" comment. You and Brian are fun, positive people who took full advantage of all that X has to offer, but after you have a "normal" X experience (all around great service and even better food) you'll see what the comparisions are all about!!!

(btw - did you do traditional or select dining? we tried the select and liked the flexibility. But trying to figure out if the food quality was a timing issue or a systemic kitchen issue. thoughts?

The numerous comments/compliants all seem to fall under the area of the Hotel Director. Maybe the Summit's HD needs to be re-trained by the Mercury's HD - according to these boards they are doing everything right!!! Wish we would have a chance to sail her before she leaves the fleet :(

Sara

That is the only thing I can think of, that we had only previously been on RCL so that is all we had to go against. I dont ever remember anyone in the windjammer on RCL ever bringing me a glass of coffee, juice, water... infact I dont remember them bringing me anything, so I just think it is kinda silly to complain that you had to get your own beverage at a serve yourself buffet? Or peanuts while watching a show?

I understand and would complain as well about the tiles in your room, because the suites/C1 should be in better condition I would think than a regular room.

We had regualr dining, and the first night was a bit off but every other time the service was excellent, as was the food (but again I am comparing this to RCL) This was the same for our room steward, bar service, and waterfall cafe service was excellent.

It does seem like somewhere along the lines there must be a problem w/ service, thankfully for us we didnt have any issues.

Hi, Sarah!

Sara

We sail on Summit in August..can you tell me what your cabin number is? We have a C2 booked, if my shower is the same way-I will complain and mention your cabin number too!

Sorry you guys had issues, but we didn't. I gotta say we enjoyed the "old Roux menus" better than the new ones. However, all the food we were served was great. We also had great servers in the MDR & had no problem finding clean tables or getting served coffee in the Waterfall. My cabin was spotless & everything was in good shape. We've sailed on 4 cruise lines, three times on Celebrity. We like Celebrity best. Only problems we've had were on Princess, but not enough to never sail Princess again.

I sailed on the Mercury in December and the Summit in May. Loved them both and found the service to be excellent in both. I also had no trouble getting coffee served in the buffet area but if I had it would not have been a big deal for me to get up and get myself some.

I don"t doubt that others had a different experience but isn't it possible that every ship has a few less helpful crew members and some of us are unlucky and get them.

I just worry about making broad generalizations about what may just be an occasional bad apple. I bet someone has even encountered one on the Mercury.

You got it exactly right. I was sort of stunned by the state of the ship, the so so meals, the fact our waiter got orders wrong 3 nights in a row (we were celebrity select), the difficulty getting things cleared off tables on 10. Not what I was expecting at all. And the ship itself is in really deep need of a refit, everywhere.

I had a more serious problem that I wrote about on a separate blog so I won't go into it here. Beyond the serious problem we had, compared to the NCL Dawn, which I'd sailed before, it was not good.

And yes, that departure, especially for us 'walk offs' was completely ridiculous. I was stuck in a mass outside the elevators on one and my travelling companion was literally stuck in the back of one of the elevators.

I also found the, as they called them, 'long shoremen' a little intimidating when checking in. They insisted on taking our bags 5 feet and just about demanded a tip. I was afraid to not tip them. I definately prefer sailing out of Manhattan, I didn't like Cape Liberty at all, especially with the weird little bus ride.

We sail on Summit in August..can you tell me what your cabin number is? We have a C2 booked, if my shower is the same way-I will complain and mention your cabin number too!

We were in 8172. While it is a C1 cabin, that's not acceptable anywhere. And as a homeowner who has replaced two bathrooms with hidden water damage - that lack of maintenance can cause huge problems.

Kasisus11 - the "weird little shuttle" ride didn't bother us. We did not like the transportation options back to NYC. Next time we will either park at the pier or reserve a black car (private car service). The Shuttle van and taxi set-up there is atrocious!!! Does anyone know if it is because NJ doesn't have the same regulations as NYC?

Sara

Wondering what problems you had on princess? Sailed them 4 times, and Crown and Carribean Princess are beautiful!

To address the Princess problem, we had Anytime Dining on Caribbean Princess & we had a bad waiter. We had him for dinner 1 night & to make matters worse, once for breakfast. He had no assistant & only came near our (or his other tables) to deliver the food. Our drink glasses were empty more often than full. He'd fill them after bring a course. We would disappear for long periods of time. Definitely agree Caribbean Princess is beautiful. We would sail Princess again, but if I saw that waiter again, I'd snap out.

Ooops, sorry to hijack the thread.

OH NO....I was about to book the Summit for June 27th and we would be parking our car. DH is really concerned about parking.

Now I'm not sure what to do!!

Stay at Country Inn & Suites or one of the other local hotels that provide park and cruise. They have a shuttle to and from the cruise ship. We stayed at Country Inn with no problems.

Hi Sara and Sarah!

Now my 2 cents worth.....any cruise is a good cruise for me, but I have to say the Summit was my least favourite one. It should have been one of the best, because my daughter came along to celebrate our May birthdays.

I can't put my finger on any specific problem, but it just didn't have that WOW factor going. Had no problem with the condition of the ship, crew was decent, if not exuberant. The food might have been it, and I agree with Sara that Select Dining (7 ish) may have been the culprit......kind of right between early and late dining. That might account for the food not being hot enough......it did not, however, have anything to do with the quality and/or preparation. Both of those I found to be lacking compared with other Celebrity cruises. Buffet food was OK with a couple of minor exceptions.

One thing that was not right.....my kids at home sent a bottle of wine through the ship. It was supposed to be on our table the first night, but because of Select, it was in my room. Understandable. But.....there was no note of any kind as to where it came from. My cabin steward said it was for me, but having seen wine on the desk on other cruises, I hesitated. I asked him to check further. Again he came back saying he had checked with his supervisor, to go ahead and drink it, there would be no charge. So, on our last night I took it to the dining room, (wondering who the donor was!) and we all enjoyed it.

On the ride home from the airport, the kids asked how we liked the wine. I was shocked to find out it was from them. Not a super big deal I guess, but I would have liked to thank them before they asked me how it was.

That said, I am still a fan of Celebrity, but might hesitate to sail the Summit again.

We were on the May 23, 2010 sailing and I agree that there was some good and some bad. While I posted some of this on the private connections board, for everyone I will add our room numbers so you can search this post.

We had room numbers:

In room 9048 there was a lot of rust on the bathroom floor between the door and the shower.

In room 8055 there was so much rust in the shower and the handle that my mom cut her hand and it has taken over a week to heal. They removed the broken handle and replaced it.

In the T pool on the silver roller bars there was a lot of rust. That was the only rust I saw in the public areas.

Every single room we had had holes in the curtains. These were concierge class rooms. The 9000 series rooms had overhangs, but they were did not interfere with the view. Room 9046 did have a bar more into the viewable area so that may bother someone but my brother was not bothered by it.

Room 9048 was slightly smaller than rooms 9046 and 9050.

None of the rooms had modern tvs, but frankly that does not matter because of the poor choice of channels. They did have good movies that rotated through the week.

Our room attendant Isabello MADE the trip for us. He was phenomenal. He said that he was normally assigned to the penthouse, but switched to our rooms for this cruise. I was extremely happy to have his assistance through our trip. Our waiter Rickey (who is now on a two month hiatus) was also fantastic. He had the kitchen custom make purees for our baby and chicken nuggets for our toddler. He was attentive and really an excellent waiter. We had the early seating and our food was always the correct temperature. The assistant waiter was not very helpful. He could not make coffee at all. It was cold and always tasted like it was from the bottom of a very burnt pot. Our drinks did not come until after our main course was finished and our water glasses were almost always empty or missing altogether.

The shows were great. We went to 5 of 7 of them and really enjoyed them. We especially liked the magician and the xylophone player.

OH NO....I was about to book the Summit for June 27th and we would be parking our car. DH is really concerned about parking.

Now I'm not sure what to do!!

Book it and park the car....you will be fine...... I returned from a cruise aboard the Summit on May 16th....the ship and crew were wonderful and I found the set up at Cape Liberty to be just fine. There is a one minute shuttle ride from the check in area to the ship....it is no big deal and there was no waiting for the shuttle.

The disembarkation was a little more tedious but in the end....disembarkation is never a fun time and it never goes quick enough for most. I did not carry my own stuff off.... I waited in Martini Bar until around 9:20 and then my color tag was called and I raced down the stairs..... Using an elevator at that point probably would have added an hour to the equation... I think there were some kinks that need to be worked out in the disembarkation process but I certanly was not upset enough about it to complain or trash the ship on cruise critic.

I had an amazing time travelling solo on Summit and I booked two future cruises on M-class ships while I was onboard......

Book it and park the car....you will be fine...... I returned from a cruise aboard the Summit on May 16th....the ship and crew were wonderful and I found the set up at Cape Liberty to be just fine. There is a one minute shuttle ride from the check in area to the ship....it is no big deal and there was no waiting for the shuttle.

The disembarkation was a little more tedious but in the end....disembarkation is never a fun time and it never goes quick enough for most. I did not carry my own stuff off.... I waited in Martini Bar until around 9:20 and then my color tag was called and I raced down the stairs..... Using an elevator at that point probably would have added an hour to the equation... I think there were some kinks that need to be worked out in the disembarkation process but I certanly was not upset enough about it to complain or trash the ship on cruise critic.

I had an amazing time travelling solo on Summit and I booked two future cruises on M-class ships while I was onboard......

THANK YOU. This makes me feel alot better. Glad you had a great time on the Summit!

Stay at Country Inn & Suites or one of the other local hotels that provide park and cruise. They have a shuttle to and from the cruise ship. We stayed at Country Inn with no problems.

THANK YOU for that advise! I will get the information on it and see what DH wants to do. Doesn't matter to me, whatever makes him more comfortable!! :rolleyes:

He has a big fear (because of something he read, but can't find now) of getting to the cruise parking terminal and not finding a parking spot. :confused:

I am shocked that a classy line like Celebrity would leave cabins in such poor condition.

Maybe we should re-think our decision to go on the Summit:(

It is an older ship and does need some refurbishment. It is not shiny and new, but it's not a pit, either. Overall, though IMHO the ship itself is in pretty good shape.

It was the food in the MDR, buffet areas and overall service did not measure up to our past X experiences. Really feel that that Hotel management side of things needs some major refresher training. (Mentioned elsewhere, it sounds like the Summit staff needs to be re-trained by the Mercury staff)

The Aqua Spa Cafe and Normandie were excellent. Cabin stewards and wait staff were either very, very good or mediocre. Haven't heard too many in-between comments. Also loved the T-spa area.

That said, if you have an overall good outlook, you'll have a great time. (meaning your not "Negative Nancy, but you don't need to be "Pollyann", either) There are lots of things to do (or not :)) throughout the day and evening. Entertainment is overall very good (another subjective area, but we were very satisfied).

If you're really worried and have something easy to switch to - if it makes you happy... But, honestly, don't worry it to death. Most X passengers are the nicest people and that was the best part of our trip!!!

Sara

Archived