Le Galion Info Request

doug618

For anyone who has been to Le Galion (Baby Beach) recently, can you pls tell me if there are beach chairs and umbrellas for rental at the beach, and if so, what's the cost?

How much is taxi from pier to beach?

Are there taxis waiting to go back to ship or should we arrange with driver to come back at a specific time.

Also, i've read on other threads that there is a resturant, does anyone recall what is on the menu? Do they have burgers, hot dogs, chicken or is it just seafood?

Thanks

Hey Doug . I was there last November and loved it and will be back . There are chairs and umbrellas we rented 6 chairs and three umbrellas , basically just sat down at them and a young guy comes up takes your order and just starts a tab . I think it was about 15 US for 2 chairs and an umbrella . Real reasonable food , not a big seafooder we had burgers , dogs , fries and ice cream . All told 6 of us ate drank , non alcoholic and with chairs it was around $ 120 US for all total . And we were munchin and drinkin . The cab was about $20 for 2 one way . We had our driver come back at 3:30 for 5 PM sail

away . Got back in 25 min . Definitely would arrange return trip with your drop off taxi . Also has Butterfly farm and Horse riding . Hope this helps !!! Ted

tjschwalm,

I wasn't the OP but I appreciate your info none-the-less, as I'm looking to take our 6 year old here next April. Just curious, did you do any snorkeling there? Was it any good? We're trying to get our DD into snorkeling and wondered if the snorkeling was any good in these calm waters.

Thanks!

Klepton,

I can't imagine calmer waters to learn to snorkel . I brought my own gear and snorkeled for maybe an hour and a half . Water is very clear and over by the snack bar to the right there are occasional lone fish . Saw maybe two schools out to the left by the jetty . Snorkeling was relaxing for me as I didn't

expect much so when I saw maybe 50 fish in an hour I was happy . But mostly one or two fish on their own . Swimming around leisurely snorkeling , who could ask for more .

I did Victory a couple years ago and would definitely also recommend Jalousie Beach in St Lucia for a beginner , it's getting there that's a hassle .

I know you would find it worth the trip . Have a blast , Ted

Hi Ted-

Thank you so much for posting this info.

One follow-up question. Do you recall how deep the water was? I've read that the water is primarily shallow. Is it waist high? knee high?

Thanks

-Doug

Hey Doug , The water is very shallow and calm for about 30 to 40 yards out to

the right near the snack bar . Off to the left about 100 yds away from the snack bar

it can get deep in spots 8-10 ft in spots but for little ones it's really awesome but

you do still have to keep an eye on them .

Doug,

We were there for the horseback riding last week and the Taxi fare to Le Galion was the same as that for Orient Beach: 1 or 2 pass - $18, 3-5 pass - $7 ea, 6+ pass - $6 ea. And yes I would definately arrange for a return taxi. I have heard a few rare stories of taxi's not returning as previously agreed. Most of those cases seemed to occur when there was only a couple passengers. We had 6 and I think the guy just sat and waited for our return 2 hrs later (then he took us to Maho - waited another 2 hrs - then took us back to the ship).

Would love to know what the cost was from le Galion to Maho for 6.

Gary,

Our taxi ride for 6 was $8 ea from le Galion to Maho. Our driver took us the long route along the west shoreline and gave us a tour, pointing out the highlights along the way. Did a better job than some tour guides I've used in the past. I was well pleased. We ended up completely circling the island with two stops (le Galion and Maho) for $21 ea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another data point:

We visited Le Galion June 17. The posted chair/umbrella prices were 5 Euros each for the day. They used a $13 US dollars = 10 Euro conversion rate. We really enjoyed our day, but next time I'll rent a car.

We had a lot of trouble getting a return taxi, the bartender tried to help but couldn't reach anyone that she could convince to head our way. (We were a party of 3) A local guy at the bar made a call for us and a taxi appeared in 5 minutes. His drink was on me.

The driver that came for us said that many drivers dont like driving to Le Galion because of the condition of the road. (It did have numerous huge potholes, mud, gravel, ruts, etc.)

We enjoy having the freedom of a car as well. It is often mentioned that when a cruiser visits Le Gallion or the Cul de sac area where the ferry leaves for Pinel Island, that it is a good idea to make arrangements for the taxi driver to return at a set time to get you. It is funny that you mentioned the condition of the road into Le Gallion because I thought that it was in way better condition when we visited this year compared to in 2006. If the taxi's don't like that road I can just imagine what they say about the one into Friar's Bay, there are potholes all over the place on that one!

<snip> It is funny that you mentioned the condition of the road into Le Gallion because I thought that it was in way better condition when we visited this year compared to in 2006. <snip>

Karysa,

The road from the main turnoff into Orient/Galion has been completely replaced with a nice concrete roadway, but it doesn't (yet) extend past the turn into Orient. That extension should be happening soon, according to the local newspaper.

gary

Karysa,

The road from the main turnoff into Orient/Galion has been completely replaced with a nice concrete roadway, but it doesn't (yet) extend past the turn into Orient. That extension should be happening soon, according to the local newspaper.

gary

That's how I remember it, smooth as a runway them "bam" we were off-roading for the last half-mile or so.

Have you considered going to Baie Rouge? The beach is quiet with chairs, umbrellas, and snack bars. There is good snorkeling to the right of the beach with a small cave to swim through. You can walk to the end of the beach, wade through knee deep water and there is a beautiful cove/beach area to relax before heading to the rocks to swim. We saw a good many fish there ( no coral -- mostly rocks) and really had a great day!:)

It is less than 600 meters, about 650 yards, .36 miles, 1,925 feet or 23,000 inches.

gary

Oh my gosh gtaylor!! can please be more specific? lol-- thank you,, that was very cute, and helpful.

may i ask you a question please? we are planning to do the butterfly farm, Le Gallion and then Orient beach all for a short time each, we would also like to go into town, to shop and look around, we are thinking about Phillipsburg and taking the water taxi from the dock after we are done wih our beach time... i dont think we would be able to get Marigot in there as well, 4 ships in port and Oasis is one of them-- do you think this is possible? we are there from 10-6. and if you had to chose one town to visit, which would it be?

ok, so thats more than one question, but any help would be appreciated!

thanks so much!

Karysa,

gary

Oh,I see. Once they finish with that one hopefully they will go over and fix the one into Friar's beach because it was dreadful.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh my gosh gtaylor!! can please be more specific? lol-- thank you,, that was very cute, and helpful.

may i ask you a question please? we are planning to do the butterfly farm, Le Gallion and then Orient beach all for a short time each, we would also like to go into town, to shop and look around, we are thinking about Phillipsburg and taking the water taxi from the dock after we are done wih our beach time... i dont think we would be able to get Marigot in there as well, 4 ships in port and Oasis is one of them-- do you think this is possible? we are there from 10-6. and if you had to chose one town to visit, which would it be?

thanks so much!

gtaylor!! where are you ??

thanks so much!

Sorry, I missed your follow-up post. I must have been out buying fireworks.

A 10 o'clock arrival and a short stay at each of your three destinations would place you into Marigot at about the exact time that most of the shops will be closing for their afternoon break.

I'd just spend your time at the beach and head back into P'Burg to allow you as much time as you want for shopping and the short hop back to the ship via Water Taxi. Be sure to have your cameras ready, as it's a great photo op.

As mentioned, a Butterfly->le Galion->Orient taxi ride might be problematic. See if you can arrange at the Cruise Facility for the driver to do the three segments for a set rate, and pay him when you get to Orient.

I wouldn't necessairly lock myself into a set time for the same driver to complete the Orient->P'Burg portion, as you might well change your mind and want more time, and taxis are readily available for the return.

gary

Sorry, I missed your follow-up post. I must have been out buying fireworks.

A 10 o'clock arrival and a short stay at each of your three destinations would place you into Marigot at about the exact time that most of the shops will be closing for their afternoon break.

I'd just spend your time at the beach and head back into P'Burg to allow you as much time as you want for shopping and the short hop back to the ship via Water Taxi. Be sure to have your cameras ready, as it's a great photo op.

As mentioned, a Butterfly->le Galion->Orient taxi ride might be problematic. See if you can arrange at the Cruise Facility for the driver to do the three segments for a set rate, and pay him when you get to Orient.

I wouldn't necessairly lock myself into a set time for the same driver to complete the Orient->P'Burg portion, as you might well change your mind and want more time, and taxis are readily available for the return.

gary

Thank you Gary, your so kind to answer all of our questions!! i didnt think i would be able to sqeeze in Marigot-- will try to arrange for a taxi for the return as you said, ill probably have them take us back to the ship and drop off beach gear than use the water taxi to Philipsburg-- thank you so much!!

Someone mentioned renting a car gives you more freedom. We do this quite often on the islands. That way you get a chance to explore more and go where you would like. Could anyone provide me with additional information on where the car rentals are located and prices if you can remember? Is the island easy to get around on? There have been a few times we had good intentions of going several places but by the time we figured out the lay of the land we didn't have a chance to do all we wanted. We have done St. Thomas, St Kitts, San Juan, Cayman and others.

Archived